• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m40 a1 original

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
So bare with me for a moment guys. Ive been wanting to build an m40a1 for a very long time now and have finally started to accumulate parts for it. Some stuff came up with my family and it was put on the back burner.
So as life goes, unfortunately i recently lost my grandfather. He was an icon to me as he served our country and enlisted in Korean War and served in Vietnam. I can remember many things about him but the majority of our chats never had anything to do with war or action he had seen. As i grew older i knew not to bring up anything like that to him.
Well i recieved a call from my grandmother this morning and she said that grampa left me some stuff to keep for him. His passing was not unexpected and we all knew it was coming but he is in a much better place now. I had asked what it was and she tried to the best of her knowledge to explain it to me, it was a large wooden crate. Inside of the wooden crate held Medals, Uniforms, some personal stuff and a couple of rifles. One of wich had an old old tag tied to the trigger. The tag has his service number and name and says m 40-a1 on it. She said it has a "top sight" as she calls it that is marked redfield as far as i could gather. She told me that he had never fired the rifle after he recieved it, it had brought back many issues. A friend of his who was stationed in virginia had sent it to him in 1972 or so.
I am truly excited about this crate of stuff from grandpa and i will be sure to post a bunch of pictures of the awesome relics that are in it. I dont think i will ever fire this rifle or any that came from him, probably clean them up and hang them on my wall with his medals. Sorry for the long post guys but i had to tell the story and pics will be showing up soon
smile.gif

Re: m40 a1 original

Really sorry for your loss,he sounds like quiet a guy.Would love to see some pics when you can. Pete

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
But it's good to hear that he's kept some of these items, do you know if it was his service rifle because that'd make it quite the heirloom.

Sorry for your loss! You two must have had a great relationship. Consider yourself lucky to have had it! On a up note what a great gifts he left for you. I am sure the medals and rifle will make a great commemorative that you will be so very proud of!

I am very sorry for your loss, and it's a great story but hopefully the tag is incorrect. If memory serves, the M40A1 was a later version. The reason I say the tag is wrong is because the M40A1 would also not have had a Redfield scope on it. Hopefully you have an M40... Not an M40A1. Can't wait to see it!