• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Stock

Didn’t see an appropriate M40 stock on there.
Me either. The only one I saw even close was by the maker if I recall that pmclain got one from recently. He got a nice stock but like this one it doesn't have the Monte Carlo cheek rise, the buttstock is flat and this ones channel is for a thin barrel. It does have nice figure in the wood. Not an M40 stock though.

Reactions: fe1
There is a super close Remington SA stock for sale on eBay now . I think the last bid was $169.00 better act fast .
Yes. I got the one @jakhamr81 posted by gunville. SilverHill gunsmithing. It cost me $199.00 to get it shipped to me. I agree that you should get one as soon as possible. It seems like someone makes these, then they don't sell quite fast enough, then somebody gets wind of them and they are gone. It'll be a couple years before you see them again.

Me either. The only one I saw even close was by the maker if I recall that pmclain got one from recently. He got a nice stock but like this one it doesn't have the Monte Carlo cheek rise, the buttstock is flat and this ones channel is for a thin barrel. It does have nice figure in the wood. Not an M40 stock though.

Yes that is the only thing I saw on there close and it has the problems you mention.

Mine is at LRI now awaiting its time in line.

Anybody had any luck with a “Gunville” stock? Seems like I’ve heard some not so good things about em. Sure would like to find a Taylor.

Anybody had any luck with a “Gunville” stock? Seems like I’ve heard some not so good things about em. Sure would like to find a Taylor.
I'm working with one right now. The shape is good. It's walnut, but nothing fancy. The inletting is pretty good. I'm slowly wearing away on it. Don't want to get all fired up with the big stuff and put a hole or a dent where I can't hide it.

Which reminds me, I need to take some pics.

Reactions: gregv
I see the seller I bought my stock from back in January has incorporated a higher cheek rise in his long action ADL stock pattern...

If he could do same on the short action BDLs, include a safety bump, accomodate a 16601 butt plate than he will have a close M40 clone.

I'm working with one right now. The shape is good. It's walnut, but nothing fancy. The inletting is pretty good. I'm slowly wearing away on it. Don't want to get all fired up with the big stuff and put a hole or a dent where I can't hide it.

Which reminds me, I need to take some pics.
Thanks! Would love to see pictures when you get a chance.

So here’s some ips of my my M40 in work:
5F3720D7-2242-4B82-B8E9-DA43E49CAB64.jpeg

This is the barreled action together with a bunch of inletting to. Standard barrel profile as of yet.
4A6CEFA5-D6A8-4074-BDB9-B9F2D331E30C.jpeg

From the top going a little off course.🥵
BC459546-8537-4838-82D8-D517CA1E3DDA.jpeg

This shows how I hogged out for the recoil lug. Front and back.

I do need a good look at the safety bump. That area has a ways to go.

So here’s some ips of my my M40 in work:View attachment 7324913
This is the barreled action together with a bunch of inletting to. Standard barrel profile as of yet.View attachment 7324916
From the top going a little off course.🥵View attachment 7324917
This shows how I hogged out for the recoil lug. Front and back.

I do need a good look at the safety bump. That area has a ways to go.

I have been watching Ebay with no luck so tomorrow I will be ordering a Gunville stock for my project. I am not sure yet if I am going to fit the action or ship it off. I am also a black powder enthusiast and have fitted locks, tangs and guards but this may be out of my league. I need to source the butt plate soon and I hope Ebay will come through for me.

I have been watching Ebay with no luck so tomorrow I will be ordering a Gunville stock for my project. I am not sure yet if I am going to fit the action or ship it off. I am also a black powder enthusiast and have fitted locks, tangs and guards but this may be out of my league. I need to source the butt plate soon and I hope Ebay will come through for me.
I hate to say this, but I'm working with walnut on my Win 70 F-class stock. That wood sure seems harder than my gunville stock. Maybe the stuff I got is a different species? Or, a fancy type where the grain is really tight? I know the shit takes a lot of effort to cut a 6" piece through 3". The wood on my gunville stock is hard, but not as hard, obviously, and it splinters as I run a chisel across the grain (where it can't be seen ha ha).

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but I'm working with walnut on my Win 70 F-class stock. That wood sure seems harder than my gunville stock. Maybe the stuff I got is a different species? Or, a fancy type where the grain is really tight? I know the shit takes a lot of effort to cut a 6" piece through 3". The wood on my gunville stock is hard, but not as hard, obviously, and it splinters as I run a chisel across the grain (where it can't be seen ha ha).
I used the search and seen pictures of the Gunville stocks maybe close to ten years ago? One picture was so bad it was crooked from the wrist to the tip and I don’t think it was an illusion. They seem to be better now and yours looks true and much better than the one I referenced above. I am no stranger to stock work as my interest in black powder and fitting those and a few 1903a3 stocks when the CMP sold them. Still though I am tempted to send it off to be fitted unless mine seems more like the CMP “C” stocks.

I got a gunville m40 stock a few weeks ago. Not too terrible in my opinion.
Between a dremel and sand paper it is coming along.
I'm trying to decide if I want the stock closer to a bdl stock or leave a little more wood.
Definitely a labor of love.

Reactions: sandwarrior
I left messages and emails with Taylor Engineering and never hear a peep back. Started searching ebay every day/night and found a NOS Varmint SA stock from the 60's ($350). I found a correct buttpad and screws on numrich I think. opened up the barrel channel a hair, sling swivels again from ebay, and reprofile the front end. Then linseed oil for days and many beers. Came out well.
0244884C-6341-40E0-979B-98B22D37263E.jpeg

If you are willing to budge on the M40 stock being wood, Bell and Carson makes a reproduction for around 285$ that takes the Badger Ordnance bottom metal.

someone got it! damn that was a good deal too. I would have bought the sucker, but already have one. Good luck to that guy.

I need to get mine out of the safe and back to the range. I've only had it out once since I bought it.

Attachments

• DSC_0744-1.JPG
    DSC_0744-1.JPG
    218 KB · Views: 142
  • Love
Reactions: deltawiskey
Here's an m40 stock on ebay. Buy it now also for a good price.

That was a good looking stock for a nice price. It didn't look like a military stock, but the figure was really nice...I almost bought it, but I have an M40 and I don't really need two of them, so hopefully some one got it and will build a nice rifle out of it. Here's my Chuck Mawhinney overrun from 2015.

Attachments

• M40_w_props1_lrg.jpg
    M40_w_props1_lrg.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 118
  • M40_casa_floorplate.JPG
    M40_casa_floorplate.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Here's another one. $164.00 shipped dudes. Looks like a nice stock too. you welcome!

Damn just bought that to use with my LRI build.

Its a better stock than the non comb model from that builder I was going to use.

Reactions: Wilderness
This is where that stock will be going.....

Y’all gotta stay on it for the m40 parts! I wish I had this much luck on finding a mirs rail!

Honestly, the majority of the fun for me is putting in the research and then the hunt for accessories. Building comes second and lastly shooting a finished product. Good luck on that build!

Y’all gotta stay on it for the m40 parts! I wish I had this much luck on finding a mirs rail!

Honestly, the majority of the fun for me is putting in the research and then the hunt for accessories. Building comes second and lastly shooting a finished product. Good luck on that build!

I bought a similar stock from him without the comb.

Some peeps at M40Rifle.com got in touch about having him make an M40.

Said he would if he had one to copy.

Looks like someone gave him one.

I have a DepTaylor, first run M40 stock, with beautiful figuring, that I will never use. Was gonna replace my stock on my M40 clone, but really no reason to. Anyone remember what we paid in that 1st group buy he did years ago?

I have a DepTaylor, first run M40 stock, with beautiful figuring, that I will never use. Was gonna replace my stock on my M40 clone, but really no reason to. Anyone remember what we paid in that 1st group buy he did years ago?

It was just over a couple hundred bucks. $250 or somewhere in there Im thinking.......

Id be interested in your stock if your in box is not full already.

There is a seller on Ebay right now making M40 profile at good prices.

I have one of his at LRI being turned into a pmclaine original.

I have that sickness... 😜 Inletting an old 722 target stock for a 700 .22-250 HB. PITA! Seems like every time I need to take a smidge from here, it comes off of there.:oops: At least the HUGE gaps aren't showing yet.

I had a deep rooted case of it until I was surprisingly injected with the “divorce vaccine” against my will, which tends to quickly abate this “sicknesses” in its tracks... It is not as fast acting as the “I lost my job vaccine”, but one tends to feel the effects of it a bit longer.... lol
But...
The three year old vaccine seems to be losing its potency, and I feel the sickness starting to creep up on me again.

I see your rifle's done... :) Pics, now!

Au contrair mes ami, unless you are privy to info I am not.

Mine will just be starting Stock work now that the barreled action is together.

I am expecting an update on yours this week, we seem to be in a 1,2,3 rotation.

I am hoping to have sweetness perhaps by February but no rush.

I was gonna say... No, I don't think they do. :rolleyes:

No, they're stocks are kind of close for the casual observer but they aren't the right profile or finish. If one is doing just a plain homage to an M40 they're ok but that's about it. It's the stock I chose for mine. Mine will be done very shortly at LRI and when I get it bolted up I'll shoot some pictures to show how close or far it is.

Reactions: pmclaine
Au contrair mes ami, unless you are privy to info I am not.

Mine will just be starting Stock work now that the barreled action is together.

I am expecting an update on yours this week, we seem to be in a 1,2,3 rotation.

I am hoping to have sweetness perhaps by February but no rush.

Yea, my stocks getting inletted a tad, and I still have to find a black oxider, but for now, I'm guessing somewhere around mid January :) I'll assemble it to about 85% and shoot some pics for you.

Yea, my stocks getting inletted a tad, and I still have to find a black oxider, but for now, I'm guessing somewhere around mid January :) I'll assemble it to about 85% and shoot some pics for you.

Chad doesn't oxide?

There is a company in New York that does firearms finishes.

They look very legit.

Some quick research will get that info.

It's been talked about in the Vintage area.

Discuss with Chad though he must know a metal finisher that will oxide.

Looking forward to your pictures.

I recently sent their info to a friend of mine when I can find it I will PM to you.