• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 or M40A3 or M40A5

I’ll take this “prototype one of a kind” “M40A5” please!

Yeah, I'd take it. But, not for that price.

Added: If this is an FN, why does the side of the action say "Remington"?

I’ll take this “prototype one of a kind” “M40A5” please!

Large butthook stock and E675xxxx receiver (very close the the rare and desirable E676 range). If the rifle were a lot cheaper, it would be a good candidate to strip for parts. The cheekpiece is also backwards for some reason.

I have the Springfield Armory Government Model 30mm Tube scope for sale if anyone wants to recreate this. Get started now on the hard to get items. Sorry for the shameless plug but maybe someone is looking for this scope

Does your scope have dust, not scratches or cracks? Lol

Reactions: Nate87
I also have the case as well someone needs this. get this now while it's cheap before prices get to the point you can't afford it

I really hate to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity here, but im gonna have to pass on this gem. GLWS

Reactions: Pinmaster
Stevo86 don't do this to your self act now strike while the irons hot u will regret it later if you don't buy it now

• Haha
Reactions: Stevo86
I was issued a M40A1 many moons ago. When I could afford it, I slowly collected all the pieces to build one including a return smear stock with original bottom metal, correct 6 digit action, tombstone safety trigger assembly, USO scope and repro mount, Schneider barrel, then sent it all to GAP.

Later I did the same for an M40A5 even though I wasn't issued one but saw it as a big jump in capability from the A1 whereas the A3 was only a small step.

Maybe it is nostalgia, maybe it is that I have another rifle that is lighter and, to me, is more capable than an A5, but when it came time to sell some things, the A5 was an easy choice to go.

The M40A1 will be one of the last I ever sell if I need to.

I was issued a M40A1 many moons ago. When I could afford it, I slowly collected all the pieces to build one including a return smear stock with original bottom metal, correct 6 digit action, tombstone safety trigger assembly, USO scope and repro mount, Schneider barrel, then sent it all to GAP.

Later I did the same for an M40A5 even though I wasn't issued one but saw it as a big jump in capability from the A1 whereas the A3 was only a small step.

Maybe it is nostalgia, maybe it is that I have another rifle that is lighter and, to me, is more capable than an A5, but when it came time to sell some things, the A5 was an easy choice to go.

pics or didnt happen

ha
DT

Ok. These were from when I inventoried before I moved a little while ago.

And one just for you DT

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpeg
    IMG_2631.jpeg
    414.3 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2627.jpeg
    IMG_2627.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_6877.jpeg
    IMG_6877.jpeg
    540.6 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
M40A1 hands down. It’s gonna be the hardest of the 3 to do right, the
most expensive and require the most patience

Early A3 will Be next in line. Big Hook Stock can be difficult and of course Unertl .

A5 will probably be the easiest to
Round up the parts for, but IMO is the culminations of the A3 progression.

Personally, I Hated the A3. Freakin boat anchor, thankfully only had to carry it for one pump. I had to build the 2 I carried tho Ended up selling the Early A3. Kept the A1. That will Get passed down to my daughter

If I build another M40 it’ll be the OGM4 and maybe an M70

View attachment 7681164

View attachment 7681166

View attachment 7681168
Stunning collection you have, beautiful rifles. The A1 is something else....

M40a1’s are the way. I was issued one as well. Towards the end I got an A3. Wasn’t a fan. Was a boat anchor but not a bad prone range gun.

I have 1 PWS built A1 on a smear with 40x base and satin Redfield and my forest return A1 / Unertl is at GAP getting out together now. Should have her back in March time frame. Can’t wait for that one.

Interesting M40a3: early "bolt catch" action, stock (uncut cheek piece) and (verified) contract solicitation prototype NF scope. ;)

Attachments

• a3 early 1.PNG
    a3 early 1.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
  • a3 2.PNG
    a3 2.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 135
  • a3 4.PNG
    a3 4.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 130
  • a3 3.PNG
    a3 3.PNG
    3.5 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Interesting M40a3: early "bolt catch" action, stock (uncut cheek piece) and (verified) contract solicitation prototype NF scope. ;)
Very nice! Great early original large butthook A4 stock!

What are the specs to the “USMC Spec” NF scope? Reticle used?

Thanks for sharing!

I've always had a soft spot for the M40A1 style rifle. Something about that stock really does it for me. I think shooting from a variety of positions, you may like it better.

Reactions: dirtybores
My first real sniper rifle was a clone M40A1 back in the 1980’s. I loved it
My next was the M40a3
It was one hell of a target rifle. Actually took second at FTR National Championship at 1000 yards with it

But today I would do a M40A5 as the natural evolution and all around sniper rifle

My first real sniper rifle was a clone M40A1 back in the 1980’s. I loved it
My next was the M40a3
It was one hell of a target rifle. Actually took second at FTR National Championship at 1000 yards with it

But today I would do a M40A5 as the natural evolution and all around sniper rifle
The A5 is nice but really should be a WinMag as big as it is!

Reactions: RemCustom6
Looking to do an early A3 myself. Gonna be fun trying to locate a stock.
Are you talking with a 1st Gen. A4 stock with the big hook in the buttstock? I’ve thought about building another one with the 1st Gen. Stock. Love the a4 stock for shooting prone, yet I’ve every only shot one elk in the prone position and it was with my A3 too.

Reactions: Belvedere
Looking to do an early A3 myself. Gonna be fun trying to locate a stock.
If you are looking to do an early issued M40A3 (the ones that still sported the Unertl 10X scope), you can still order the stock new from McMillan. Just make sure you submit exactly the specs (R700 A4, molded-in OD green, Gen1 two-screw saddle cheek piece, DD Ross M1 bottom metal inlet, etc). And McMillan will only do solid color molded-in finish and the Gen1 saddle for full spec clone stocks, so this is currently the only way you can get them to do those options now anyway.

Very few, if any, of the original large butthook A4 stocks made it to the fleet, from what little I know and have seen. McMillan used and modified their Winchester A4 mold (which still has the large butthook) and made stocks for the M40A3 test/prototype rifles. And after receiving input from the Marines, McMillan updated the "Remington" A4 mold to have the current smaller, squared off butthook. Funnily enough, there is an issued full M40A5 built using one of the original large butthook A4 stocks, albeit used by the Marine Corps Shooting Team: https://www.marines.mil/Photos/igphoto/2001538570/

I am checking out the GA Precision website and I have to wonder, is there any reason why I shouldn't just get the M40A1, M40A3, and the M40A5 and thus moot the debate as to which one to get?

If you can buy all three go ahead. For a lot of us we want something less generic if you know what I mean. Take off parts, return stocks, etc. The stock on my A1 is what sold it for me. Almost entirely green. Some remnants of camo paint. When/if I build an A3 it’ll be specific as well.

Reactions: msr_762