• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1 or M40A3 or M40A5

Favorite - M40A1, but if I were to clone one today it would likely be the M40A3. I'm really torn between the two honestly.

What is your favorite Marine Corps Rifle? M40A1 or M40A3

I did three flavors, but it took over 4 years, a bit of luck on the A1 parts, and lots of $ along the way.
For ergonomics and actually shooting at distance, the A5 is the hands-down winner. I skipped the A3 as I found a A5 replica already built, but I like A3s.
For those that have patience to find a real M40A1 "return stock", an A1 replica is a true USMC classic, but it requires luck (& $) to find a return stock.
For those that like wood stocks and have limited budgets, the original M40 with a repo scope is a fun build. Its light and you feel much more of the recoil.
Good luck with whatever you do.

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 975
The McM A4 is significantly more ergonomic to me than the HTG. I've had several A4s on various builds in the past, and really liked them.

Still, if I had the coin I'd build an M40A1 in a heartbeat.

I did what a 'poor' could do...I went with an FN SPR A2 as kind of a clone-ish knock off on the M40A3. It is nothing like the original, but dare I say that the rifle itself is probably just as bombproof...if not even a little more. With a (nowhere near as good) Burris XTR II, I'm all in at about $2,400 spent, which is a fraction of what the real deal will set you back. Paper targets can't tell the difference either.
20200425_183902.jpg

The A5 is probably the most well rounded out of the m40-m40a6 line. Overall package i think the (get ready for unpopular opinion) A6 takes the cake but no great place to put your thumb is irking me.

In the process of building the m40 through A6 line minus the A3 (no sense if you have an A1 and A5) and have various parts to complete all. Snuck in the Darpa XM-3 also and it will be one hell of a series to own.

Its an addiction

M40A1 is almost complete, I think I will head towards the M40 build in the near future.
I have the action, just have to find the rest...

I have or had a M40, m40A1 clone, m40 A5 clone.

The A1 with smear pattern stock was hands down my favorite. Only firearm I can recall that I regret selling. I made some amazing shots on running game at long range with it.

A5 was a pig.

M40 is nice but not up to A1 for shootability.

Reactions: sandwarrior
The A1. Selling mine was my only regret in life. But hopefully today is the day, I get the call from my FFL and I can go pick up my baby and that regret will be forgotten about!

I really wish I had put one of my Redfield green scopes on the A1 smear and had a transition rifle.

I really wish I had put one of my Redfield green scopes on the A1 smear and had a transition rifle.

I wish I had either one of those parts - its a neat look for sure.

Attachments

• M40A1_Redfield_rt2.jpg
    M40A1_Redfield_rt2.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 464
Reactions: RTH1800
My favorite is the M40a1. Been trying to get pieces for one when I can but it has a been a very slow endeavor but one if these days I'll have one. It is by far my favorite out for the m40 series of rifles.

Reactions: Charlie112
I have an A5 so am biased but my next rifle may or may not be an A1 (deciding between it and a USMC m14 DMR clone).

Out of all the M40 series of rifles the A1 is by far my favorite... I can tell because it goes to the range way more than the rest of them.
Build the A1 first ChanceDoane ; )
DW

Reactions: wrencher13
Ive always liked the M40A1. I have two varmint rifles in HTG stocks that are similar looking and feeling. I really like the stocks.

If you all like the A1 so much you should build a XM-3 keeps the essence with a bit of user friendly tech. Suppressor ready and normal scope. Very fun rifle

i have them all and the A1 always draws the lookers. It is instantly recognizable. The A5 is fun and shoots but it is a boat anchor.

I favor the M40A1. As a young Marine training at the Weapons Training Battalion-Quantico, VA , a 8541 instructor brought out the M40A1 for us to look at and handle.
I love it and always wanted it. One nice rifle.

If I was in your shoes and had both HTG and A4 stocks coming to build either, the one that gets built first is the one I get the proper parts for first while looking for both. Each requires specific parts not easily obtainable. Besides the stocks, do you have anything else?

And if you decide an A3, then what era? Different eras require some different parts.

Marty, the owner of Badger Ordnance posted the attached pics a few years ago on the m40 forum, and I thought it might fit on this thread. I think a smear stock is needed for his early A1 with green Redfield, but otherwise his collection is most impressive. I don't have the means to do this, but I do like these pictures.

Attachments

• Martys_M40_collection_left.jpg
    Martys_M40_collection_left.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 1,051
  • Martys_M40_collection_right.jpg
    Martys_M40_collection_right.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 1,495
Last edited:
I fell in love with the "USMC Sniper Rifle" after watching Sniper with Tom Berenger in theaters as a kid. Wanted one ever since. Found a "clone" build and snapped it up even though it was pricey ($5000 CDN) which included the MST-100 (these scopes go for about $3500-$4000 on their own).

That being said, I wouldn't mind having an A3. They are even more expensive though, about $5000 for the rifle without an optic. But the ergonomics of the stock is better for the longer range shooting I find.

All in all though, the A1 is a rifle that everyone knows. They see it and know it's the "USMC Sniper Rifle".

Attachments

• MARINES.jpg
    MARINES.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 423
I fell in love with the "USMC Sniper Rifle" after watching Sniper with Tom Berenger in theaters as a kid. Wanted one ever since. Found a "clone" build and snapped it up even though it was pricey ($5000 CDN) which included the MST-100 (these scopes go for about $3500-$4000 on their own).

That being said, I wouldn't mind having an A3. They are even more expensive though, about $5000 for the rifle without an optic. But the ergonomics of the stock is better for the longer range shooting I find.

All in all though, the A1 is a rifle that everyone knows. They see it and know it's the "USMC Sniper Rifle".

Now thats a gorgeous rifle! What bag and size is that?

Now thats a gorgeous rifle! What bag and size is that?

It's the Blackhawk Long Gun Drag Bag! Picked it up used from a kid getting out of airsoft for about 1/4 of it's original price.

I bought it originally for my Tikka Mcmillan but decided to keep it for the A1... seemed to just suit it.

It's the Blackhawk Long Gun Drag Bag! Picked it up used from a kid getting out of airsoft for about 1/4 of it's original price.

I bought it originally for my Tikka Mcmillan but decided to keep it for the A1... seemed to just suit it.

Yea.. that looks like a perfect fit. Thats why I asked. I need one for mine. Thanks

The more photos I see of the original patterns makes me want to pull the paint off and reveal whats underneath... but then I don't... but I do.. but I don't...🤣

Sad when your old lady is listed in “vintage sniper rifles” I guess this is like when you hear the songs you like now on classic rock :/ A3 all day

Reactions: Stevo86
These m40a1s will always be my favorite smear. Mostly green with some swirl/ fingers in there. Id do a lot for one of these stocks.

shIxjt1.jpg
M40A1-6.jpg
M40A13.jpg
PB150269.jpg

Reactions: D_TROS
I had a chance at buying a return stock M40A1 clone build for $2000 CDN ($1440 USD). Missed out on it and still kick myself.

Im thinking of doing the M40A1 first

If you choose to do an M40A1 build, I recommend that you start by hunting down the four key ingredients seen in the 1st pic (barrel, mount, scope, and stock).
After key parts are collected, then find an inexpensive C-prefix M700 hunting rifle - see 2nd pic (an E-prefix works too, and 6-digit of course - but that will require patience). Then you decide on your builder, and get your complete parts set in the que...and patiently wait for the metamorphosis to transpire...
Third pic shows the final build w/ some accessories, which took a while, but my advice is to get the 4 key ingredients first, and then go from there. My 2cts.

Attachments

• M40A1_parts_022019.jpg
    M40A1_parts_022019.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 326
  • M410A1_project_May_2019.jpg
    M410A1_project_May_2019.jpg
    617.3 KB · Views: 318
  • M40A1_right1_outside.jpg
    M40A1_right1_outside.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 318
Last edited: