• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 build at PWS in Quantico COMPLETED!! Detailed pictures on 3rd pg Range report 4th pg

You get only once to machine the receiver correctly for the rail . If you fuck it up there is no way to fix it. I am able to shoot it but it is now an abortion of a rifle that i would not give to my worst enemy.

Do yourself a favor and send your rifle to someone like GAP if you want it done right. I learned the hard way and had my Receiver , 30 MOA double lugged USMC rail, Schneider barrel totally butchered by a Gunsmith who claimed he worked at PWS and assured me he had done this work before and had all the correct USMC specs programmed into his CNC machine.

PM me if you want the name of this butcher since i don't want to mention him here on this site for the risk of being banned.

My comments about not meeting the gunsmith but knowing him and is becoming great friends meant I'm familiar with his work but don't want to give his name out because he has turned down alot if people for builds since retiring but he's doing me a HUGE favor. I trust my guy, he's VERY well versed in the art of building rifles and is very respected around these parts :)

Thanks for looking out though, always good to help each other around here.

Pusher, we call that creature a Marine

As far as your bolt question...
PTG Bolts are the norm. Per the build standard, the bolt gets chucked up in a fixture and the lugs get faced (if they have enough meat on them, there's a minimum dimension) as well as the bolt face.

Lugs get lapped. The cocking cam gets some massaging and the firing pin assy gets worked over as well.

PTG Bolts are the norm. Per the build standard, the bolt gets chucked up in a fixture and the lugs get faced (if they have enough meat on them, there's a minimum dimension) as well as the bolt face.

Lugs get lapped. The cocking cam gets some massaging and the firing pin assy gets worked over as well.

No disrespect, I'm not in the military. I will correct it promptly. Thank you for the answer to my question.

The original barrel channel follows the contour of the barrel. It is opened up to accommodate the EFR and becomes strait. I believe this is purely cosmetic so the barrel channel and EFR line up.

Is that barrel channel straight or does it follow the bbl contour?

I must say it is most interesting, informative and educational how-to topic on M40x build. Accompanied with right specs, inc contour, chamber etc it's deserve sticky. I dreamed about such info when I built mine, did research for veeery long time.

I actually intend to edit the first post at some point to include all the information I can on the build for that very reason. On the ACI, I am not sure which generation they use, but based on my experience with the military it is probably the older generation.

I must say it is most interesting, informative and educational how-to topic on M40x build. Accompanied with right specs, inc contour, chamber etc it's deserve sticky. I dreamed about such info when I built mine, did research for veeery long time.

Just to let everyone know, I got my EFR from Ross at PGW and it was just under $230 shipped. You don't have to military or anything special to get one, just email them and ask. I couldn't believe it as the last one that sold on ebay was for over $500 and $350 on gunbroker. Thank you again VERY much for the heads up Trespasser!!!

E-mail Ross at [email protected] and ask for an M40 Accessory Rail, P/N A-004/M40. About a year ago, you could buy them for $250 including shipping.

I have nothing to add other than this thread delivers. scatsob, thank you for putting it out there.

Threads like this will only cost money. The more I think about it the more I might have to start collecting parts for an M40A3/5'ish build to keep my M24 company. I can't have a "real" M40A* but my M24 is the real deal. Like mentioned by another member, if I do this it won't be true to spec but will look the part.

Barreled action and bottom metal broken out of the stock. Looks beautiful :). Should get cleaned up tomorrow in the mill and maybe Wednesday for metal finishes.

Just curious, how does one go about getting these guys to build you/me a rifle? "The rifle will be built at PWS in Quantico and since it will be built by the dedicated marines that build these fine weapons for the USMC..."

Keep in mind, the ONLY difference between this rifle and an M40 sitting in our supply would be a few clicks of the mouse...

For me it was being in the right place at the right time. I always hated my detailer for sending me to Camp Lejeune but it ended up being one of the best things that could happened for both my career and my safe :).

Just curious, how does one go about getting these guys to build you/me a rifle? "The rifle will be built at PWS in Quantico and since it will be built by the dedicated marines that build these fine weapons for the USMC..."

When did M40's start receiving PTG bolts?

You kidding me?! To have USMC armorers at PWS Quantico build you an M40A3?? Lucky bastard!! :p Keep the pics coming, it's awesome to see the build process in detail.

Glad i found this thread, great read....your M40A3 when finished will be a Humdinger no doubt! Looking forward to seeing pic of finished rifle.

Barreled action and bottom metal broken out of the stock. Looks beautiful :). Should get cleaned up tomorrow in the mill and maybe Wednesday for metal finishes.
Interesting that they bed a couple of inches in front of the lug. A lot of guys stop right at the lug these days for a full float from the lug forward.

hmmm. I'm surprised with bedding too. My A5 clone bed was also 1'' after the lug, but I methodically dremeled out by my self. Tbh, it was positive for accuracy, I have proof as targets before and after... Can you confirm PWS guys like it that way?

Do yourself a favor and send your rifle to someone like GAP if you want it done right. I learned the hard way and had my Receiver , 30 MOA double lugged USMC rail, Schneider barrel totally butchered by a Gunsmith who claimed he worked at PWS and assured me he had done this work before and had all the correct USMC specs programmed into his CNC machine.

PM me if you want the name of this butcher since i don't want to mention him here on this site for the risk of being banned.

Seriously, was it not blatantly obvious to you that the builder of the rifle is posting in this thread and actually it right or did you just swoop in and post without reading?

That post was actually in response to another member that stated they were doing to have a friend build them a rifle and was not meant for me or the builder of my rifle, so it's all good :).

Seriously, was it not blatantly obvious to you that the builder of the rifle is posting in this thread and actually it right or did you just swoop in and post without reading?

Gee, Looks like we figured out who fucked up Maguas build...

This is just about the only thread I check each day for progress/comments, without doubt one of the most interesting. Not to mention the fact that in the end this is going to be a stunning bit of kit.
I also had mine bedded ahead of the lug as I was informed that that is also spec, though I know some disagree. It's ok for me.
Waiting for the finished article.....

The barrel pad is a spec. feature. The barrel starts to taper at around 5" from the end of the shank. If Scott has a better camera Im sure he will post some pictures of the rifle with a little better a hand than mine with a cell phone... When he gets it...

Interesting that they bed a couple of inches in front of the lug. A lot of guys stop right at the lug these days for a full float from the lug forward.

The barrel pad is to harden the rifle for true field use. There's a lot of mass hanging off the end of an action with a fully free floated barrel, and some say the receiver can actually flex under the strain of a heavy barrel.
As for accuracy, conventional wisdom says no pad is better, but I've seen barrels with pads that shoot better than half minute of angle.

I think you would be hard pressed to get a statistically significant difference in accuracy without the pad. In fact, I would be willing to bet if you chucked a couple of rifles in a vice (take the human out of the equation) there would be no difference.

The barrel pad is to harden the rifle for true field use. There's a lot of mass hanging off the end of an action with a fully free floated barrel, and some say the receiver can actually flex under the strain of a heavy barrel.
As for accuracy, conventional wisdom says no pad is better, but I've seen barrels with pads that shoot better than half minute of angle.

Regarding the barrel pad, I've had this article on file for a while, I'm sure some people here have seen it but it does make mention of bedding / not bedding in front of the recoil lug. I saved this ages ago, when first thought
of collecting the parts to try and do a clone/copy.. maybe someone here can verify if he is right or not.

I know this comes from another forum, not one I read, I found the article via google, don't flame me for posting the link... interesting read though.

USMC M40A3 - An Upgraded Sniper System?

Last edited:
The masterpiece is almost complete. Just some final touches and it's off for test firing :). The A3 is such a beautiful gun.

Holy sweet mother of pearl. Get that thing to the range! ASAP!

Very nice build! I enjoyed watching this come to fruition.
Even better to know it may eventually find a way onto Lejuene or Stonebay.
Did you find an S&B yet?

There was just an 8541 Schmidt and Bender for sale in the classifieds but I'm not sure if it's still there. It may have just been sold…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not found a scope for it yet but have an email into Schmidt and Bender to see what I can get. Honestly it's not a priority right now. For the time being she will wear a PH 3-15 Gen2 mil dot, still a USMC scope just not the right one. I figure that I can always get glass but if some nutjob does something stupid guns might be a little harder to come by. My next purchase will be a KAC SR25 EC or ECC or APC; whichever is available first from Lawmen's.

Oh, and the USMC marked scopes in the marketplace are no longer available, I tried. Regardless I am not paying almost double just for 8 characters inscribed on the eyepiece.

Last edited: