• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A3 build at PWS in Quantico COMPLETED!! Detailed pictures on 3rd pg Range report 4th pg

For me it was being in the right place at the right time. I always hated my detailer for sending me to Camp Lejeune but it ended up being one of the best things that could happened for both my career and my safe :).

Retailer???

You mean career jammer! Going soft or what devil dog? :rolleyes:

Oh, and the USMC marked scopes in the marketplace are no longer available, I tried. Regardless I am not paying almost double just for 8 characters inscribed on the eyepiece.

C'mon, it's a more than just 8 characters. ;) There were about a half dozen of the NSN marked M8541 scopes for sale on the internet last summer between roughly $3k to $6k. The non-NSN marked scopes have cropped up from time to time from $2.5k to over $6k.

(Not mine)
IMG_2121_zpse51e9747.jpg

Your build is coming along beautifully. I can't believe how quickly it has progressed, and can hardly wait for the range reports to come in. Beautiful!

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have one, it's just not in the cards right now. I REALLY want an SR25, and that's going to be hard enough to get through the budget department :). I am applying to medical school this summer and if I get accepted in the fall the wife said I can use the credit cards at my discretion so maybe next Christmas.

C'mon, it's a more than just 8 characters. ;) There were about a half dozen of the NSN marked M8541 scopes for sale on the internet last summer between roughly $3k to $6k. The non-NSN marked scopes have cropped up from time to time from $2.5k to over $6k.

(Not mine)
IMG_2121_zpse51e9747.jpg

Your build is coming along beautifully. I can't believe how quickly it has progressed, and can hardly wait for the range reports to come in. Beautiful!

I too was amazed at the velocity of the build. He really spoiled me on this one. Should go through quality control and accuracy checks next week and I will have it pretty soon after :).

So with the rifle coming in around a week, I am planning on doing a detailed photo analysis of the rifle for those that would like to do as accurate a clone as possible. With that in mind, if there are any measurements or pictures of specific things on the rifle let me know. My intention is to add all this to the first post in the thread. Gonna be a long week :).

So with the rifle coming in around a week, I am planning on doing a detailed photo analysis of the rifle for those that would like to do as accurate a clone as possible. With that in mind, if there are any measurements or pictures of specific things on the rifle let me know. My intention is to add all this to the first post in the thread. Gonna be a long week :).

You read my mind!!

Pic of all markings
Pic of barrel channel from top
Pic of action out of stock
Depth and width of flat bottom of crown before pull back

Also- did they single point the action to true it or clean it up on a manson kit?

Thanks!

I believe the measurements on the crown are somewhere on page one but I will summarize it again in the first post. On the truing of the receiver, I am pretty sure it is single point but the smith might chime in on exactly what they do.

You read my mind!!

Pic of all markings
Pic of barrel channel from top
Pic of action out of stock
Depth and width of flat bottom of crown before pull back

Also- did they single point the action to true it or clean it up on a manson kit?

Thanks!

Manson Reamers used to square the lugs and face to the centerline of the action and threads opened up to 1.0625 + .010"

Last edited:
Quick update. Rifle will be going through QC this coming week as well as go to the test shed and I will post pictures of the test groups as soon as I get them.

My wait for this rifle is only a small fraction of what people wait for a GAP but the anticipation is still killing me :).

Last edited:
Scott,

I still love reading this over on Gunboards. Thanks for telling me about this site as well!

This thing is going in the test rack next week, I know its screaming to be shot and Scott has an itchy trigger finger I'm sure.

Rifle went through function and accuracy testing yesterday. It averaged 2.96 for 35 rounds at 300m with very gusty inconsistent cross winds. I was told that grouping was around 1" vertical and 2.75" horizontal which is consistent with crappy wind conditions. I am more than happy with that and I am sure in ideal conditions it will put one on top of another. I will have the rifle Wednesday of next week :) :) :).

Last edited:
Just got back from Quantico today. Spoke with my 2112 about your build. Allot of good things said about your builder and your rifle... You will be highly pleased with your stick brother.
Just so you know....when they measure groups. They measure the "outer" diameter of the group not center to center of bullet impact so your guns groups are actually tighter from the prospective of how most measure.....Just a little info for ya.

Thanks you for posting. I kind of figured the military would do outside edge as they usually do worst case with most things. I was interested to hear that they use an electronic system for group sizes and not paper targets. It makes sense though so you don't have to hump 300m a bunch of times to check and replace targets.

Also thanks for the kind words. I know it will mean a lot to Matt, he has done an absolutely beautiful job on this rifle and he isn't just a technician. He truly loves what he does and it shows in his work. Wednesday can't come soon enough :).

Just got back from Quantico today. Spoke with my 2112 about your build. Allot of good things said about your builder and your rifle... You will be highly pleased with your stick brother.
Just so you know....when they measure groups. They measure the "outer" diameter of the group not center to center of bullet impact so your guns groups are actually tighter from the prospective of how most measure.....Just a little info for ya.

Scott, we JUST transitioned to the electronic system a week or two ago I believe. We used to leave a marine down in the pits while the test shed shot its rifles.

Much quicker now with the electronic system.

When I shot division matches in japan, I was taught how to measure shot groups. Only after I got out did I find out that everyone else measures shot groups center to center.

Rifle went through function and accuracy testing yesterday. It averaged 2.96 for 35 rounds at 300m with very gusty inconsistent cross winds. I was told that grouping was around 1" vertical and 2.75" horizontal which is consistent with crappy wind conditions. I am more than happy with that and I am sure in ideal conditions it will put one on top of another. I will have the rifle Wednesday of next week :) :) :).

Sounds like a good start. What regiment of a shoot/clean etc barrel break-in procedure was used prior to/during this 35 round shooting groups accuracy testing?

From my limited knowledge of military procedures I would guess no, they do not "break" the barrel in. The builder would know and might chime in. That said, I have never seen statistically backed up evidence that "breaking in" a barrel has any effect of accuracy. I have never done it on any of my rifles and most are one hole guns.

Sounds like a good start. What regiment of a shoot/clean etc barrel break-in procedure was used prior to/during this 35 round shooting groups accuracy testing?

Typically 1 proof round, 40 function rounds with cleaning and cooling every ten, then on to accuracy testing.

Scotts was 3-5 rounds to settle it in the rack and get it shooting in the middle of the sensors, then on to groups. No cleaning or cooling.

OK Thanks, I'd heard that Schneider barrels only require minimum, if any, break in, but there are those that swear it's a necessity

Sorry for the crappy point and shoot pictures, best I could do tonight. There will be better pictures along with detail pictures of markings and such this weekend. Such a beautiful gun and I an a lucky bastard to be able to own one :). Thanks Matt!!!!!

I seriously doubt you'll find time to do anything this weekend other than SHOOT it. It looks GREAT from where I sit, but I look forward to admiring the details whenever you do get a chance to post more. Range report too, please. Congratulations on a very nice rifle, and kudos to Mr. Waldo!

Here are some detail shots of the rifle showing all the markings that a PWS built M40A3/5 would receive. Again, Matt is a true artist, and his skill and attention to detail show in every aspect of this build.
Overall rifle

Right side of receiver showing RFID tag :)

Barrel markings

Serial number markings
Optics Rail

Recoil lug

Bottom metal

I gotta say, I really like it! I have my favorites, go to and short list but this brings a new perspective for me regarding the current M40A* offering. My interest has grown over time but this build brings it to a whole other level.

Looks awesome boss!!!!

Looks great from a distance AND up close. That's saying something. You're right to be proud of your new rifle. Wheres-Waldo's craftsmanship is evident. Congratulations to the both of you. Thanks for sharing. I think I know what you'll be doing this weekend!

My warmest congratulations! Awesome build and incredibly useful post. I wish you did it a year ago when I made my clone.
Have a great weekend and don't return without targets pics!)))

Great pics, been following this thread all the way along. How does that Radio tag work, what info is in there ? (if it's not confidential)

I believe the RFID tag simply has the rifles serial number on it and is a way of easily tracking weapons. The tag itself has the serial number printed on it and looks like it can be scanned for the number as well. I am sure it can be used for maintenance tracking as well using a handheld or computer. In reality I am not sure how extensive their use is. The armory officer I know here still has to do a visual on every single piece of serialized gear he is on the hook for.