• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Machining and woodworking for guns

That's pretty slick , hows the threaded part turn when you work the handle?
Bevel gear on the handle and cast/machined into the breech block. Dead simple! When the breech closes, a plunger releases the breech block to spin. The lever rotates the block with a 90 degree bevel. Fast, smooth and few moving parts.

cheers, Sirhr

you can see teeth on back of breech block at top.
B3237851-359A-480F-9BDD-A46185DCDDFB.jpeg

Well the .223 project is down to load development started in the rain yesterday. I'm only set up for 50 yds out of the shop window.but at least it's dry inside.Left group was .020 off the lands , right was .010 off.
Barrel is a green mountain .223 ,1 in 8 twist 25.5 long, mueller 8x32 scope, timney trigger. Stock was finished with minwax stain and satin wipe on poly. Target is a PSL , white circle is .300.
Picture 032.jpg
Picture 034.jpg
Picture 036.jpg
Picture 030.jpg
Picture 037.jpg

Looking good . Are those I beams going to be like a track?. That carrage is really slick

Looking good . Are those I beams going to be like a track?. That carrage is really slick
1587150670264.png

Precisely! It's a classic rampart-style mount. Pivots on a pin with wheels that run on steel circles. They range from giant 20 ton monsters like this one at Ft. Pickett... to half ton mini's like the one I'm working on !

On recoil, the carriage runs back on the rails, absorbing the recoil. And returns to zero when it rolls back forward to its stops.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Sir, are you talking Ft Pickett in VA? If so, don't you mean Ft Monroe? Ft Picket is probably 3 hours inland from the coast.

Well the .223 project is down to load development started in the rain yesterday. I'm only set up for 50 yds out of the shop window.but at least it's dry inside.Left group was .020 off the lands , right was .010 off.
Barrel is a green mountain .223 ,1 in 8 twist 25.5 long, mueller 8x32 scope, timney trigger. Stock was finished with minwax stain and satin wipe on poly. Target is a PSL , white circle is .300.View attachment 7300945View attachment 7300946View attachment 7300947View attachment 7300949View attachment 7300950
Never thought poly could look that good.
Beautiful

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
elevation.jpg

Got the elevation mechanism done today. Slicker than goose turds on linoleum! A bunch of other stuff, too. But this was the big milestone. The main carriage is done except for details (chains, footman loops, axle cotter keys, guides, etc.) Now for the rails and traversing carriage!

Should be done early next week! Coolest carriage I have ever built!

Sirhr

I have a late 30's early 40's H&R Ranger 105-20. There is a chunk missing from the stock. What would be a good fix? It is a 16 gauge.
20200615_192114.jpg

Numrich has them listed but they are out of stock. You might give them a call or Email to ask when they expect to restock.

Numrich has them listed but they are out of stock. You might give them a call or Email to ask when they expect to restock.
I checked their website earlier. I did not think about calling them. Thanks.

I checked their website earlier. I did not think about calling them. Thanks.

Graft in a new piece of wood.

File the broken area smooth. Find a small piece of walnut that roughly matches and glue it in. Hold in place with a wedge. If you want, after glue sets. Put in a couple of wood dowel pins with glue. Allow to set. File/sand to shape and re stain and finish. Easy fix.

Sirhr

Round chambers only?

Ex wiki
Puckle demonstrated two versions of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets which were considered to be more damaging and would, according to its patent, convince the Turks of the "benefits of Christian civilization."[2]

Reactions: Barneybdb
Round chambers only?

Ex wiki
Puckle demonstrated two versions of the basic design: one, intended for use against Christian enemies, fired conventional round bullets, while the second variant, designed to be used against the Muslim Turks, fired square bullets which were considered to be more damaging and would, according to its patent, convince the Turks of the "benefits of Christian civilization."[2]
So far....

Sirhr

British Association (BA)

47-1/2 degree thread angle. This is a metric thread system devised by the British for small screws used in components like speedos. Not metric like you might expect, but with diameters determined by a factor proportional to a power of the logarithm to the base 10 of the thread pitch in millimeters.

You'll find lots of BA threads on any British car, but only for fasteners smaller than 1/4". BA fasteners have their own set of spanner sizes. Typically, a set of "Whitworth" sockets will include a OBA (and maybe a 2BA--bigger number = smaller size) socket.

0 BA0.2360 inch25.4 tpi0.0394 inch0.1887 inchNumber drill 9
5.1 mm
0.2008 inch
1 BA0.2090 inch28.2 tpi0.0354 inch0.1665 inchNumber drill 16
4.5 mm
0.1772 inch
2 BA0.1850 inch31.4 tpi0.0319 inch0.1467 inchNumber drill 22
4 mm
0.1575 inch
3 BA0.1610 inch34.8 tpi0.0287 inch0.1266 inchNumber drill 29
3.4 mm
0.1339 inch
4 BA0.1420 inch38.5 tpi0.0260 inch0.1108 inchNumber drill 31
3 mm
0.1181 inch
5 BA0.126 inch43 tpi0.0232 inch0.0981 inchNumber drill 37
2.65 mm
0.1043 inch
6 BA0.11 inch47.9 tpi0.0209 inch0.0849 inch2.3 mm
0.0906 inch
7 BA0.0982 inch52.9 tpi0.0189 inch0.0753 inchNumber drill 46
2.05 mm
0.0807 inch
8 BA0.086 inch59.1 tpi0.0169 inch0.0657 inchNumber drill 50
1.8 mm
0.0709 inch
9 BA0.075 inch65.1 tpi0.0154 inch0.0565 inch1.55 mm
0.061 inch
10 BA0.067 inch72.6 tpi0.0138 inch0.0504 inchNumber drill 54
1.4 mm
0.0551 inch
11 BA0.059 inch81.9 tpi0.0122 inch0.0443 inchNumber drill 56
1.2 mm
0.0472 inch
12 BA0.051 inch90.9 tpi0.011 inch0.0378 inchNumber drill 60
1.05 mm
0.0413 inch
13 BA0.047 inch102 tpi0.0098 inch0.0352 inchNumber drill 62
0.98 mm
0.0386 inch
14 BA0.039 inch109.9 tpi0.0091inch0.028 inch0.8 mm
0.0315 inch
15 BA0.035 inch120.5 tpi0.0083 inch0.025 inchNumber drill 70
0.7 mm
0.0276 inch
16 BA0.0310 inch133.3 tpi0.0075 inch0.0220 inchNumber drill 73
0.6 mm
0.0236 inch
Screw NumbersDiameter of Screw
Over Thread
Threads per inchPitchDiameter
at Thread Bottom
Tapping Drill Size

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Finally getting to reassemble Maxim carriage and decided to add a couple of antique ski's and make a reproduction of a Soviet Ski mount. The Sokolov is real, 1917 Imperial. And am putting together a ski mount with a couple of garage sale wood ski's.

maxim sled.jpeg

Here is one in the snow during WW2.

maxim sled 2.png

Not an especially challenging restoration. The hardest part has been getting the paint right. I'll have the ski's done next weekend, probably.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Finished both the Amusette Cart and the Sokolov Mount today... ready for winter.

Painted in a French Blue, representative of Revolutionary War American Artillery. Washington ordered his artillery painted blue after the French came in to the American Cause.

1600625400547.png

1600625418683.png

Amusette Carts were known to have been used at Saratoga, Trenton and Cowpens. I believe that the Wall Guns were captured at Ticonderoga by Arnold and Allen and were part of the captured 'booty' brought to Boston by Knox. Amusette carts were built 'on site' and were not especially rugged. But allowed the guns to be moved quickly around the battlefield where they could be loaded with ball or buck.

Second project finished is the pre-Revolution Imperial Maxim with Sokolov cart. And I built a ski set for the heck of it. Seemed like a neat way to display it here in the far North. Maybe I'll make a Christmas Card out of it!

1600625640879.png

1600625709990.png

I'd really like to ride a toboggan behind it down a ski slope firing like some kind of James Bond opening sequence. But the local ski area would probably make me buy it a ticket.

Idle hands are the devils playthings...

Cheers,

Sirhr

So working on a new project... building a pair of DeLisle carbines.

Can't start on any barrel work or suppressor work until paperwork comes back... but getting the sheetmetal, mag wells, bolts shortened (and recessed), extractors... etc. done. And the wood forend... Doing one with folding stock and one with a wood stock. The sheetmetal is quite the challenge... having to fold the mag well up correctly involved making some interesting tools!

delisle 1.jpg

Mag wells fabricated and tacked. They use standard 1911 mags. Don't know what British Enfield Mag wells were made of... but damn the steel tacks like crap!

delisle 2.jpg

An interesting setup to make the forends... long and a 2" groove for the suppressor tube. Chunks of Walnut.

delisle 3.jpg

Action and some of the blueprints... Basically a standard SMLE action, but a Thompson Barrel re-threaded and screwed deep into the action. Bolt is shortened almost an inch. And an ejector is added. Some interesting machining!

delisle 4.jpg

Recessing the bolt face to change it from a .303 British to a .45 ACP. DeLisle tried several variants, but the .45 was the most successful and went into production. Only about 150 were built before Normandy and after that, the need for it went away. Though they were in some inventories all the way into the 1990's and may still be in some inventories! The British Army actually gave them away to planters in Malaysia during the troubles there.

For those who don't know much about the DeLisle... It was created for SOE in the early part of WW2.

Fun with machine tools!

Sirhr

Sir, you have mad skills. I wish I had the time and knowledge to do stuff at the level you are doing at. I’m hoping to retire in about two years, and hope to start turning out some knives. If I can get any of my stuff to your level, I will consider it a success!

Sir, you have mad skills. I wish I had the time and knowledge to do stuff at the level you are doing at. I’m hoping to retire in about two years, and hope to start turning out some knives. If I can get any of my stuff to your level, I will consider it a success!
I am just an amateur... but have fun working with my hands!

I learn from the real masters all the time... the people who built things the "first" time. As the saying goes "What was first the work of masters, later becomes the work of tinsmiths."

Thanks for the compliment. Work with your hands. Every day. It's a good thing. Idle hands are the devils' playthings.

Sirhr

I'd first learned of these back in the mid 90's, by the man that learned me how to 'hot-salt blue' as well as 'Baker blue'.

Now, if it weren't for a certain Federal building incident, as well as 9/11, a guy could get ahold of the required chemicals and "get back to work".

Reactions: Barneybdb
Thread needed a bump and since I am thinking that lots of folks will be using Christmas for some projects... here's one recently-completed.

So I wanted one of these for my M998 project... but had no intention of paying BMG Parts prices (they are buying these for scrap prices and putting $1500 on them. Probably less than they cost the gummint... but still.

1608995031371.png

So a bunch of scrap metal from around the shop accumulated and the machining begins...

1608995124884.png

A bit of welding (not me, I had one of my guys do it... I am an appallingly bad welder.). We also fabbed up the base that will attach to the SF Spare Tire carrier that we built in-house.

1608995210387.png

Bought a really sandy and nasty T&E from eBay. Missing one small part, so got it for $50! An hour of machining and the new locking knob was made and fitted and the whole thing was restored. Also bought the traverse bar and cut it off to fit to the new mount. Field expedient engineering. A bit of Carc-like paint and it bolts right up.

1608995281409.png

Another view. The mount arm had some paint pen marking that I preserved when I bead blasted it and welded it up. Original GI markings should always be preserved! Mount is rugged as hell and a drop-in fit for M249 SAW. The cradle I got from a guy on G503 forum. Wicked good folks over there. Sort of like the 'Hide Vintage area. Real knowledge and little bs! So now both the .50 mount and the SAW mount are fitted. You can see the SF spare tire mount. They want $500 for those things plus another $300 to ship on eBay. Made this one up from scrap metal in about 2 hours. Just like they did in Baghdad and Campbell...

1608995615021.png

Note the BMG on the fender is fiberglass.... It looks the part, but is no substitute for the real thing ;-)

Show your Christmas projects!

Sirhr

Had to go back to work the last two weeks and most everything I've done has been a repeat of the .17 cal action so really not much new to show. I do now have two barreled actions to show for all my hard work. Both have been test fired and will get the final polish after the stocks are made. I wont have material till the middle of next month when I go to the Yard in Wichita. Anyway here's what they look like today.View attachment 7255454
I've been studying this picture and have a question. The chamber seems to be exposed in the bolt closed position. Is this a safety concern? I would think a short part of the front of the bolt should be covered. Maybe I'm just worrying too much about someone elses build.

This thread needs a bump... Finished a project I have been tinkering with for a year. Most of it waiting for an engraver to finish up on the rear disk and the barrel. Totally awesome work by Adams and Adams.

Bought this as a really damaged and incomplete museum-quality (once upon a time) replica of a puckle gun. About 1/8th - 1/10th scale, I think. From some research, I think the original firing mechanism on this was solid cast pewter. But I wanted to make it work and add some detail.

1626559863747.png

New firing mechanism, made of brass. Some very tiny parts there!

1626559926111.png

It has taken me months of 'playing' to figure out how to make and temper miniature main springs. But here is the frizzen and mainspring. It worked!!!

1626559986879.png

Finished Puckle Gun. Almost 100 new parts added and the tripod, firing mechanism, etc. repaired.

1626560064999.png

Engraved Above and working firing mechanism below.

1626560105979.png

Pretty happy with restoration! When I got it... it was broken, missing parts, rusted and had no firing mechanism at all. Now far improved and a really fun miniature.

Cheers,

Sirhr

So finally got these guys all done. Made the cases and many of the accessories including cleaning rods, accessories, grips, oil bottles.... had the one engraved.

Compliments of Colonel Colt Indeed!

1632687193200.png

Colt Single Action Army... Standard configuration. Blue and case frame. Walnut grios. Cleaning rods and turnscrew are ebony.

1632687287707.png

Colt Class B engraved SAA with ivory grips, ivory accessories, ivory case handle. Silver plate (not nickel)! A stunning piece!

1632687476529.png

1847 Walker with full set of accessories...

A good day was had by all!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Rainy weekend with no particular motivation to go out for muzzle-loading season today...

Decided to make a neat little loading block with a built-in powder funnel. Saw an original and a repro on the Contemporary Longrifles Assn. chat area and thought it would be a really fun thing to make!

Used lathe to turn funnel... drilled out the .50 holes.
funnel 2.jpg

Drilled for 8 patched .490 balls.

funnel 3.jpg

A bit of Mahogany stain added. The next one is going to have a Ball Starter built into it... as the original did.

This was sort of a test piece and came out great!

funnel 1.jpg

Cheers,

Sirhr