• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Machining...can it be self-taught?

everything can be self taught the only issue is how smart you are, because if your not good at making use of the knowledge you know than it's going to take a long time.

I waited on a rifle once for over a year, told myself it couldn't be rocket science, convinced the wife i'd be saving money in the long run (yeah right).
Bought a grizzly lathe and a mini mill, never used either ever, bought a little metal to practice on, now 15-20 rifles
, a dozen or so muzzle brakes, a bunch of gauging and measuring tools, some custom dies, a couple little cannons, a complete chasiss system, and some misc. stuff
I don't if I've saved any money but I can build two rifles for the cost of having one built, and if I decide I need something I have it in a day or two not months or years.
So far I still have all my fingers and a bunch of nice shooting rifles, there has been a learning curve but so far I haven't ruined anything.
So I guess if a dumba$$ like me can figure it out most anyone with some common-sense should be able to.

I waited on a rifle once for over a year, told myself it couldn't be rocket science, convinced the wife i'd be saving money in the long run (yeah right).
Bought a grizzly lathe and a mini mill, never used either ever, bought a little metal to practice on, now 15-20 rifles
, a dozen or so muzzle brakes, a bunch of gauging and measuring tools, some custom dies, a couple little cannons, a complete chasiss system, and some misc. stuff
I don't if I've saved any money but I can build two rifles for the cost of having one built, and if I decide I need something I have it in a day or two not months or years.
So far I still have all my fingers and a bunch of nice shooting rifles, there has been a learning curve but so far I haven't ruined anything.
So I guess if a dumba$$ like me can figure it out most anyone with some common-sense should be able to.

Lot of good info and aspects projected here. Bottom line is most machinist courses aren't gun related. Leaves it up to you to teach the teacher to to address your needs or just take what you get and figure out the rest.

An old guy told me yrs ago that while he was making gravity meters for space flight would put hand pressure on the machine to make the tolerance. Don't think they teach that in class. There's a bunch of stuff that class can teach you but your mind is the key.

I am not a machinist but local to me is a community college that has trades programs that include basic machining stuff. The credit hours are very cheap ~65-95 dollars, and they do evening classes. I would check and see if something like that exists in your area.

Really wish I would have stayed in school and paid more attention to my wants and desires. Of all the things to finally figure out what I wanted to do with my life I only figured it out last year. I am 45 now I would love to do machining and gunsmithing. Unfortunately I drive a truck now have for over 20yrs.
Stumbled onto another sniper forum then LRH forum then the HiDE. I have been hooked ever since. Time and money keep me from my dream at this time, and who knows may never full fill that dream so all I can say is if you have the time, desire and money one foot in front of the other will get you there. I just Haven't found the right pair of shoes for my steps.
There is a builder who got the videos for gunsmithing and Darrel's machining videos and today is so busy he is over a year out on builds but his work is top notch and is a very nice person as well. Good luck to you.