• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine follower tension...

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Freshly built 6.5 G using E-lander mags...

A very stiff extractor requires a lot of ass to snap over the rim of the cartridge- single round loaded into the magazine chambers fine.
    However, multiple rounds loaded into the mag results in the bolt not getting into battery (no forward assist installed yet, being added). The E-Lander mags seem to have a ton of spring tension on the follower- it's very difficult to get the rounds to slide forward with thumb pressure due to the resistance, and this gets heavier with multiple rounds. A single round slides much more easily on the plastic follower, than it does on a another round below it.

Best I can deduce, the buffer spring is using most of it's energy just stripping the round from the magazine- and by the time the bolthead meets the cartridge there isn't enough residual energy for the extractor to snap over the casehead.

At first thought a higher power spring would seem to be a possible fix, but concerned that this could adversely affect cycling. With testing and load development about 100 rounds down the tube and the extractor hasn't "loosened up" enough to resolve the problem.

Should I change out the buffer spring?

Elanders suck, and I have a pile of them. The only mags that have been 100% in my experience have been ASC 10 round mags. The 10 round elanders have been ok (no malfs that I can remember thus far), but I don’t have a ton of rounds through them. The follower binds on the larger mags with just a hint of dust and you end up with a steel box of loose ammunition. I’m hoping that the asc 14 and 25 round mags are better than the elanders, but I don’t have any- yet.

The elanders are pretty though...

Reactions: JbBooks