• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magazine issues - need advice

Sendit6.5

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
Sabinal, TX
www.brushyhill.com
Just got my first rifle that uses AI and AW magazines - it's a 6.5cm on a Deviant Tactical action with American Precision Arms' RTG/sa bottom metal. One of the magazines I got was an AI style AccurateMag that Piercision sent me when the AI mag I ordered ended up being out of stock. However, the spring tension on that mag is RIDICULOUS! It's severely scoring the brass on the feed lips because of that upward pressure.

Is it possible to remove the follower and spring so that I can try to reduce the spring tension somehow? Maybe it's just a 'lemon' and I should send it back to Ryan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my pistol shooting experieces i would say load the magzine full and leave it that way for a week. I would also suggest breaking the sharp edge on the feed lips.

Thanks fellas!

Was hoping I could actually remove the spring. I'm guessing it's a zig-zag style spring under the follower and that I could crush some of the bends in the spring to reduce the tension. I've ordered a feed lip tool anyway and once it's here I can probably bend them back enough to remove the follower and spring.

A buddy of mine suggested using a AI AW magazine since the Deviant is cut for both AI and AW mags. Might order one of them and a magpul.

I'll try loading the mag full and leaving it for a week or two, to see if that removes some tension.

!!Do not bent the feed lips to take out the spring and follower!! You will deform and weaken your feed lips permanently.

If it is an AccurateMag stick an Allen wrench or something similar into the hole on the magazine floor plate. Now place the Allen wrench on a table with the magazine parallel to the floor and push the magazine down. This will slide the floor plate off the bottom of the mag. It will take a hard push but only goes off in one direction so pay attention.

If you need help go to YouTube and type in "Accurate Mag disassembly" there is a video by MPA and around the 1 minute 30 second mark that shows how it slides off.

Good luck and God speed.

Last edited:
No way would I bend the feed lips on a magazine, rifle or pistol. Now, would I take a dremel and a fine stone to the underside of those lips after careful exploration to locate the burr that is causing the scratches? Yes but with a caution that you are only seeking to lightly contour the edge of the lip with absolute minimum material removal. In fact, I would probably hand stone the things before reaching for the dremel.

!!Do not bent the feed lips to take out the spring and follower!! You will deform and weaken your feed lips permanently.

If it is an AccurateMag stick an Allen wrench or something similar into the hole on the magazine floor plate. Now place the Allen wrench on a table with the magazine parallel to the floor and push the magazine down. This will slide the floor plate off the bottom of the mag. It will take a hard push but only goes off in one direction so pay attention.

If you need help go to YouTube and type in "Accurate Mag disassembly" there is a video by MPA and around the 1 minute 30 second mark that shows how it slides off.

Good luck and God speed.

No way would I bend the feed lips on a magazine, rifle or pistol. Now, would I take a dremel and a fine stone to the underside of those lips after careful exploration to locate the burr that is causing the scratches? Yes but with a caution that you are only seeking to lightly contour the edge of the lip with absolute minimum material removal. In fact, I would probably hand stone the things before reaching for the dremel.

10-4. Thanks for the advice guys!! I'll follow it when I get a chance and report back. Exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Good thing I was too busy this weekend to mess with before I read your posts. Lol!