• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Magnetospeed Chronograph with 22LR

Gjmen22

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
NE Ohio
Has anybody here used a Magnetospeed chronograph to test 22LR velocities? I just got it all set up with the MK Machining mount and trying to get to the range tomorrow. Hoping someone could tell me what sensitivity setting works the best with 22LR.

Thank you,
Gjmen22

Attachments

• MK MagSpeed.jpg
    MK MagSpeed.jpg
    332.9 KB · Views: 200
Has anybody here used a Magnetospeed chronograph to test 22LR velocities? I just got it all set up with the MK Machining mount and trying to get to the range tomorrow. Hoping someone could tell me what sensitivity setting works the best with 22LR.

Thank you,
Gjmen22

I set mine at 8 for 22LR and it never missed a reading (close to 5,000 LR rounds fired over it).

Ruger Prec RF wth Magnetospeed.JPG

Reactions: db2000
Yep, I think mine’s at 7 for 22LR. There’s a thread on here that discusses POI shift from MS, and asserts that a lot of it is to do with shockwave bounce-back off the bayo disrupting the bullet’s angle, instead of just barrel harmonics like we always assume. I mention this because you’ve gone to the trouble to get the mount, so I assume you’re trying to avoid any POI shift.

The issue was only discussed with supersonic projectiles IIRC, but the recommendation was to have 1.7 bullet diameters of space minimum between the bayo surface and the bottom of the bore/bullet (note that if the bayo angles towards the bore, it should be 1.7x diameter of space at the bayo’s closest point to line of bore). Not sure how subsonic or transonic projectiles would perform, but to be cautious, I’ll be using 0.5” of space now that I’ve got a Wiser mount, should be good for 22LR and 6.5 calibers.

Lemme know if you want the link to the thread, if you haven’t already seen it. Happy shooting!

Yep, I think mine’s at 7 for 22LR. There’s a thread on here that discusses POI shift from MS, and asserts that a lot of it is to do with shockwave bounce-back off the bayo disrupting the bullet’s angle, instead of just barrel harmonics like we always assume. I mention this because you’ve gone to the trouble to get the mount, so I assume you’re trying to avoid any POI shift.

The issue was only discussed with supersonic projectiles IIRC, but the recommendation was to have 1.7 bullet diameters of space minimum between the bayo surface and the bottom of the bore/bullet (note that if the bayo angles towards the bore, it should be 1.7x diameter of space at the bayo’s closest point to line of bore). Not sure how subsonic or transonic projectiles would perform, but to be cautious, I’ll be using 0.5” of space now that I’ve got a Wiser mount, should be good for 22LR and 6.5 calibers.

Lemme know if you want the link to the thread, if you haven’t already seen it. Happy shooting!
Sure, you can send me the link, sounds interesting. I also remember, or at least I thought I remember reading somewhere to set the mode to shotgun instead of normal for 22LR. I cant seem to find where I read that. Maybe I am imagining things.

I am impressed that it even works with .5" of space. Good to know.

Thank you,
Gjmen22

Last edited:
Sure, you can send me the link, sounds interesting. I also remember, or at least I thought I remember reading somewhere to set the mode to shotgun instead of normal for 22LR. I cant seem to find where I read that. Maybe I am imagining things.

Thank you,
Gjmen22
Normal mode has been fine for me so far.

Here’s the thread, relevant discussion starts around Post 28.

Here's a pic of the experiment I did with my MagnetoSpeed on my .308 as I rotated the MagnetoSpeed clockwise 360° at 90° increments starting at the normal mounting configuration at the 6 o'clock position:

MagnetoSpeed Rotation Test.JPG

I found that it does effect group size as it changes the harmonics of the barrel. In my case, the groups were still pretty good and good enough for evaluating load development for my .308 . . . just that the POI was a about 2.6" high and when attached to the barrel, the POI was a little higher. For my 22LR, which never had it attached to the barrel, I couldn't see any distinguishable difference.

Reactions: Gjmen22