• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetospeed Error - Unplugged Bayonett

USAF Ret

Saved by Grace
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2023
North Carolina
So, I was at the range today. Al things going well and good. Set my rifle to the side for the barrel to cool, pick it back up and get an error that the bayonett is unplugged, when it was plugged in and working fine 10 min before. Anyone run into this?

So, I was at the range today. Al things going well and good. Set my rifle to the side for the barrel to cool, pick it back up and get an error that the bayonett is unplugged, when it was plugged in and working fine 10 min before. Anyone run into this?
Just after 2 years of use, my MagnetoSpeed V3 would give me that error as it would work just fine intermittently. There was something with the pin connection that went into the display unit. Since I couldn't find a way to open it up and maybe troubleshoot the interior, I contacted MagnetoSpeed about a replacement, but I was just past the warranty period or they would have replaced it. I had to buy a new display unit and it's been working fine since.

Last edited:
Reactions: USAF Ret
Unplugged.jpg
Bayonet.jpg

Just after 2 years of use, my MagnetoSpeed would give me that error as it would work just fine intermittently. There was something with the pin connection that went into the display unit. Since I couldn't find a way to open it up and maybe troubleshoot the interior, I contacted MagnetoSpeed about a replacement, but I was just past the warranty period or they would have replaced it. I had to buy a new display unit and it's been working fine since.
My fear. Okay, I just sent an e-mail to Magnetospeed. Mine is about a year old.

Did you try another cord? I had a cord go bad and do it once. I also ruined a bayonet once and I believe it gave that message also.

I would guess you have an open somewhere.
Open as in open circuit. Broken pin, corroded pin, broken wire, maybe even a broken trace on the display (though less likely than something in the cord). Somewhere the path that reports the bayonet to the display is interrupted. Of course it could just be a component fault on the board in the display but I personally think that's less likely.

The idea of trying another cord is an excellent one to try to isolate the problem. Is there anybody you know who has the same device and can lend you a cord to try? Or do you have a multimeter and can measure the resistance (ohms, right) from pin to pin on the cord? Resistance should be infinite

Best of luck.

Reactions: doubloon
Open as in open circuit. Broken pin, corroded pin, broken wire, maybe even a broken trace on the display (though less likely than something in the cord). Somewhere the path that reports the bayonet to the display is interrupted. Of course it could just be a component fault on the board in the display but I personally think that's less likely.

The idea of trying another cord is an excellent one to try to isolate the problem. Is there anybody you know who has the same device and can lend you a cord to try? Or do you have a multimeter and can measure the resistance (ohms, right) from pin to pin on the cord? Resistance should be infinite

Best of luck.
I don't but that's a good idea.

Reactions: Baron23
Same issue here. Known failure. Cannot be fixed. If you're out of warranty you'll need to buy a new display.
I bought it in Oct 2022 but cannot for the life of me find the stupid receipt. I think I bought it straight from the company, so hoping they have the record.

mine did that and to fix it cost 10.00 I picked up two as the part is cheap and will break again
while I can't guaranty you this is what your problem is at 5.00 each it's easy and cheap enough to try . if not call them they worked with us and we got broken hit indicators replaced extreamly fast and pain free they were helpful and local .

mine did that and to fix it cost 10.00 I picked up two as the part is cheap and will break again
while I can't guaranty you this is what your problem is at 5.00 each it's easy and cheap enough to try . if not call them they worked with us and we got broken hit indicators replaced extreamly fast and pain free they were helpful and local .
I ordered one. I took the screw put of the wand to try and see if the wand connection was messed up, but was afraid of breaking it as the bottom piece seemed flimsy and I did not want to pry on it. Any instructions on getting to the other end of the cable?

I ordered one. I took the screw put of the wand to try and see if the wand connection was messed up, but was afraid of breaking it as the bottom piece seemed flimsy and I did not want to pry on it. Any instructions on getting to the other end of the cable?
Does your bayonet/wand not just have a female j-plug receptacle in it just like the display does? All MS I’ve seen did, in which case you just pull out the plug attached to the bayonet. See plugs below.

1688835460038.png

I have a sporter. The first one came from the factory with that problem. They replaced it, and the new one has been trouble free since '19.

Reactions: USAF Ret and lash
I would guess the cord is either broken inside or broke free just where it is connected the bayonet inside. Thats a pretty good kink in that wire from being wrapped around the bayonet. That could be putting stress on the internal connection also if the cord is not rigid enough where it passes through the housing. This is speculation but in the picture it looks more like a grommet than a molded cord. That might let the cord put a little to much stress on the connection inside. Where before you had a solidly mounted port that would put very little stress on the inner connection. Just spit balling though. I could be way off in left field here because I have never touched the sporter model before.

I would guess the cord is either broken inside or broke free just where it is connected the bayonet inside. Thats a pretty good kink in that wire from being wrapped around the bayonet. That could be putting stress on the internal connection also if the cord is not rigid enough where it passes through the housing. This is speculation but in the picture it looks more like a grommet than a molded cord. That might let the cord put a little to much stress on the connection inside. Where before you had a solidly mounted port that would put very little stress on the inner connection. Just spit balling though. I could be way off in left field here because I have never touched the sporter model before.
I agree that this is a reasonable assumption, based on a lifetime of diagnosing and repairing everything from hand tools to industrial machines.

We shall see how well MagnetoSpeed responds to the OPs inquiry. Unless they have changed recently, their CS is not what it should be. They are owned by Kestrel if that’s any indication. They would rather you buy another than for them to back up their products with CS.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I agree that this is a reasonable assumption, based on a lifetime of diagnosing and repairing everything from hand tools to industrial machines.

We shall see how well MagnetoSpeed responds to the OPs inquiry. Unless they have changed recently, their CS is not what it should be. They are owned by Kestrel if that’s any indication. They would rather you buy another than for them to back up their products with CS.
That wasn't my experience with them but I do understand sometimes someone elses experience is different than mine. I think actually my thread with my magnetospeed issue and resolution is here somewhere from a few years ago. They replaced my display for free and quickly and all they required was a picture of where I paid a guy on here for it via venmo. I dealt with the gentleman that is on here but I don't recall his name.

That wasn't my experience with them but I do understand sometimes someone elses experience is different than mine. I think actually my thread with my magnetospeed issue and resolution is here somewhere from a few years ago. They replaced my display for free and quickly and all they required was a picture of where I paid a guy on here for it via venmo. I dealt with the gentleman that is on here but I don't recall his name.
Well that’s good to hear. I’m always willing to change my opinion based upon good experiences. That’s why I’m interested to hear what happens with this one.

Well that’s good to hear. I’m always willing to change my opinion based upon good experiences. That’s why I’m interested to hear what happens with this one.
If he's inside the warranty period, I think they will take care if it. If he isn't, well he isn't and he will have to buy something. I will also be watching to see what happens here. I have no experience with the shorter model. My v3 has been pretty durable. With the mk mount, you can't really pack the thing up so I just leave it all together in the toolbox of my truck and keep the box with the display and such separate. That's actually my only gripe with my v3 set up. Otherwise I love it. Easy to adjust for different rifles and works perfectly every time no matter what suppressed rifle I shoot.

Reactions: lash
I bought it in Oct 22, so well inside the warranty period. I sent them a request for info a while back and they got right back to me and were very helpful. This was back in Jan of this year.

I bought it in Oct 22, so well inside the warranty period. I sent them a request for info a while back and they got right back to me and were very helpful. This was back in Jan of this year.
What was that request for? Now you need to go back and start another warranty request.

What was that request for? Now you need to go back and start another warranty request.
It was just on getting the bayonet more secure. I did open another ticket with them, but that was late Friday. So, expect they will get to me this week.

Good to hear they took care of someone. My connection to my display unit failed and I tried contacting them half a dozen times and wouldn't even get a response from them. This was I think mid 2021ish so maybe things have gotten better but my experience is done. I'm using one of my god daughter's hair ties to put pressure on it to keep it on. When that stops working I'll buy a competing product. Not buying a new display for a shit connection design failure and zero customer service.

Good to hear they took care of someone. My connection to my display unit failed and I tried contacting them half a dozen times and wouldn't even get a response from them. This was I think mid 2021ish so maybe things have gotten better but my experience is done. I'm using one of my god daughter's hair ties to put pressure on it to keep it on. When that stops working I'll buy a competing product. Not buying a new display for a shit connection design failure and zero customer service.
Things so fall through the cracks and if I had that experience I wouldn't be real happy either. That said, remember the insanity that was going on at that time. All manufacturers were having a truly hard time with the crazy protocols and shutting down every time someone coughed. It was absolutely nuts so, maybe that had something to do with it, but I am not excusing it. You might try to contact them again or in a different way and get it fixed though.

Things so fall through the cracks and if I had that experience I wouldn't be real happy either. That said, remember the insanity that was going on at that time. All manufacturers were having a truly hard time with the crazy protocols and shutting down every time someone coughed. It was absolutely nuts so, maybe that had something to do with it, but I am not excusing it. You might try to contact them again or in a different way and get it fixed though.
Valid point. I *think* they were getting acquired around that time also. I can have empathy for that.
Found one of the email threads I sent them with no reply and will try to email them again. Doesn't show the calls I made but whatever. That was September 2021. It was under warranty then but definitely not now so we'll see. If it's "buy a replacement display", I won't be doing that given I reached out when it was under warranty. At the time I couldn't find the receipt but did find it(then) - lord knows where it went now.

Video from back in 21 -

Valid point. I *think* they were getting acquired around that time also. I can have empathy for that.
Found one of the email threads I sent them with no reply and will try to email them again. Doesn't show the calls I made but whatever. That was September 2021. It was under warranty then but definitely not now so we'll see. If it's "buy a replacement display", I won't be doing that given I reached out when it was under warranty. At the time I couldn't find the receipt but did find it(then) - lord knows where it went now.

Video from back in 21 -
I would think if you showed that the issue existed then and you tried to reach them and have a receipt you'd be good

That is really good to hear. I’m glad that my information is old and their CS issue is much better. Also glad that they are taking care of you.

Reactions: USAF Ret
I would think if you showed that the issue existed then and you tried to reach them and have a receipt you'd be good
Emailed them again (just hit reply from my old email thread) with old video and photos and Ryan responded super quick. Shipping out a replacement display. Thank you for the suggestion to reach out to them. I had written them off prior to this and Ryan's turned that around.

Thanks!

Just got a reply from Magnetospeed. They are sending a new one out ASAP with a return label to send the defective unit back. Can't get much better than that.
What unit exactly....the display, the bayonet with its hardwired connecting cable, or the whole thing?

Just curious how the hell they fault isolated it if they only want part of the system back.

Cheers

Emailed them again (just hit reply from my old email thread) with old video and photos and Ryan responded super quick. Shipping out a replacement display. Thank you for the suggestion to reach out to them. I had written them off prior to this and Ryan's turned that around.

Thanks!
Ryan was my guy as well. He is on it.

Thanks!
Oh that's great man. I'm so glad that will get you fixed up and they did you right.

I had this happen. It was just the cable. It was moving out of the bayonet under recoil just enough to cause error. New cable and no issues since. Nice they are replacing it for you.

Thanks!

Said they were out of stock and took ~2.5mo but received replacement display this week. Solid support response.

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpeg
    IMG_2020.jpeg
    919.7 KB · Views: 10