• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnum primers in place of standard?

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Guys I have a chance to pick up a few thousand large pistol magnum primers...

Anyone have any idea what would happen or how dangerous it would be to replace standard pistol primers with the magnum primers?

Re: Magnum primers in place of standard?

I have a friend who has reloaded for 40 years, and he uses Magnum primers in all his reloading. He said he ran a test to see what the difference was when loading w/a standard primer vs. a magnum primer. He found that with a magnum primer it took about a grain of powder less to achieve the same velocities with lower SD and less ES - FWIW.

Be careful as always (work up), as I have not tested this out.

And if you want to part with some of those primers as well LMK LOL.

Re: Magnum primers in place of standard?

They work dandy in my 10mm auto, I've seen little difference with them compared to standard LP's in both Wolf and CCI.

Just follow normal "I changed my load" guidelines and shoot them. Any primers nowadays are a good buy. Even if you find for whatever reason you don't like them you now have trade goods for someone that has what you need.