• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magtech (CBC) 77grn 5.56

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I was recently looking at Midway USA and noticed they stopped selling IMI 77 gen Razor Core Whig shoots awesome out of my Daniel Defense MK12. I am looking at switching to a comparable ammo being the Magtech 77grn 5.56 and I was curious how the two stacked up. I know I can still find the IMI but I usually got it on sale at Midway. I like the price of the Magtech and I’ve heard good things about it so I am thinking about making the switch.

My main concern is will I see the same group size from the Magtech and how does the velocity compare to the IMI, thanks!

The juniors in our service rifle program have been using the IMI 77 and the CBC 77 grain ammo. We just switched to CBC last year (only switched d/t timing of order and what was available). The CBC fired out of the National Match rifles with 20" white oak wylde chambered barrels clocked around 2820 IIRC. It is fairly fast but we never saw any issues of over-pressure with this factory ammo.
I do recall one of the juniors shot a mid 190's (194?/197?)/200 with prone slow fire using iron sights at 200yds. So nearly all 20 shots went into a 3.8" 10 ring and many went into the 1.8" X ring. Although we never tested it for group size, we felt it was fairly accurate for the purpose.

Reactions: Marksman_92
I have used the magtech 77 in my 18" AR. I think thereis is a good value there. My go to is blackHills 556 77 OTM. I do have a slight zero shift between the 2 but the magtech shoots really well.

Hello Everyone,

I was recently looking at Midway USA and noticed they stopped selling IMI 77 gen Razor Core Whig shoots awesome out of my Daniel Defense MK12. I am looking at switching to a comparable ammo being the Magtech 77grn 5.56 and I was curious how the two stacked up. I know I can still find the IMI but I usually got it on sale at Midway. I like the price of the Magtech and I’ve heard good things about it so I am thinking about making the switch.

My main concern is will I see the same group size from the Magtech and how does the velocity compare to the IMI, thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you, the IMI shot nicely out of my 20" Rainier Ultramatch .223 wylde barrel. I just bought some Magtech to try but haven't made it to the range yet. If I like it I'll make the jump.

I've had good luck with the Magtech 77gr and the 308 168gr both. It's fairly decent price if you find it on sale and I would rather run it than 55gr white box, etc. The Magtech I've found isnt quite as hot. My zero will drop about 3/4" low with it. But it's great for practice ammo especially out of longer barrels. I'm running a 20" 1:8 SDMR barrel and it shoots just fine for practice match ammo.

I'm in the same boat as you, the IMI shot nicely out of my 20" Rainier Ultramatch .223 wylde barrel. I just bought some Magtech to try but haven't made it to the range yet. If I like it I'll make the jump.
Let me know how it shoots

I have shot the BH 77gr otm, IMI 77gr and the Magtech 77gr through 3 or 4 gas guns and my bolt gun.

Of the three the BH is the most consistent and accurate. The IMI and Magtech group about the same, usually .25 worse then BH. The IMI runs hotter then BH and the Magtech is close to the same as BH.

Needless to say I really like all three but have been shooting mostly Magtech and save the Black Hills for matches or HD ammo.

Let me know how it shoots

I went out today but I have a terrible range report for you do to terrible weather conditions. It was about 15 deg with wind gusts at least 25mph so shooting groups was difficult since the paper would not stop moving. So the best I could do was one group at 1/2" when the wind settled for a moment, the rest of the time I could not do better than 1.5". I do think if I didn't have a target board moving in the wind, this will shoot.

I did not chrono but shooting steel out to 600 yards it was definitely slower than the IWI, hitting at least a half mil low and pushed a lot by the wind. Again...sorry but the conditions were difficult to give good feedback. It was fun trying to beat that wind!

My rifle seems to like the magtech 77 otm

IMAG2231-20190106-181118534.jpg

I really like the Magtec personally. I have the same results as whatsupdoc above out of three rifles. (Noveske, BCM and a frankengun build off of matched upper/lower gen3 Noveske). I have lesser results from IMI 69gr smk. I would not hesitate to take the Magtech out to battle. Well made.

I used to use the IMI 77 razorcore exclusively. I used it for a class once and it hit reliably and consistently all the way out to 1030 yards on a less than torso sized target, out of a WOA 18” 1:7 barrel. Since then I’ve switched to the magtech 77’s because I started getting overpressure signs and blown primers with the IMI out of a few of my rifles. I read a couple threads somewhere, maybe arfcom, where others were having the same problems with the same lots. I’ve never had a problem with the magtech, it’s always been as accurate or more than BH for me, and I’ve actually shot my best groups with it. I’ve tried some IMI again a couple times and it was still reliably blowing the primers out.

I had issues with the IMI as far as accuracy in my MK12 MOD H. I was looking for a alternative to Black
Hills 77gr OTM. I finally settled in CBC Magtech. It’s about as close to the Black Hills as I could find. Every once in a while you can find it on sale for about half the price of Black Hills.