• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mailed Items

Jackalope33B

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2010
Sunny Florida
I figure this is the place to post this question.

So what happens when you sell something on the Hide, get paid for it, ship it and it arrives damaged?
I did place a Delivery Confirmation # on the box. USPS told me I was SOL due to not having insurance on the item and the buyer didnt ask for insurance.
Im the Shipper BTW..
Is there any obligation on either end to make things right or what?

No wonder USPS is going under.. I mailed a guy something 2 weeks ago. He lives 4hrs from me. Well, after it left my post office, it went MIA.. I called up USPS and they told me there was nothing that can be done. Well, USPS called me the next day and said the package was scanned in New Jersey...... 3000 miles from me! WTF!!!!!

Re: Mailed Items

I think as a seller you take the fall (and in this case provide a partial refund or offer to take back the item). I know that "technically" it's not either party's fault but I feel, when I'm selling something, that once I get paid it is my responsibility to get the item to the buyer damage-free and as expected.

I understand what you are saying about getting the item to the buyer damage-free.. What else could i have done though? If USPS says there is nothing they will do, why would it fall back on the seller to give a refund or partial refund that the carrier messed up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think as a seller you take the fall (and in this case provide a partial refund or offer to take back the item). I know that "technically" it's not either party's fault but I feel, when I'm selling something, that once I get paid it is my responsibility to get the item to the buyer damage-free and as expected. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you are saying about getting the item to the buyer damage-free.. What else could i have done though? If USPS says there is nothing they will do, why would it fall back on the seller to give a refund or partial refund that the carrier messed up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think as a seller you take the fall (and in this case provide a partial refund or offer to take back the item). I know that "technically" it's not either party's fault but I feel, when I'm selling something, that once I get paid it is my responsibility to get the item to the buyer damage-free and as expected. </div></div> </div></div>

Let this be a lesson. Always insure packages that are over $100. This way you have something to fall back on if the item is documented as being damaged. Also, always get Post Office verification that it was damaged and reported damaged.

Yea, no kidding! I dont want to feel like i screwed the guy, but on the other hand I feel like it was not my fault.. Oh well, we shall see what comes of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I understand what you are saying about getting the item to the buyer damage-free.. What else could i have done though? If USPS says there is nothing they will do, why would it fall back on the seller to give a refund or partial refund that the carrier messed up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think as a seller you take the fall (and in this case provide a partial refund or offer to take back the item). I know that "technically" it's not either party's fault but I feel, when I'm selling something, that once I get paid it is my responsibility to get the item to the buyer damage-free and as expected. </div></div> </div></div>

Let this be a lesson. Always insure packages that are over $100. This way you have something to fall back on if the item is documented as being damaged. Also, always get Post Office verification that it was damaged and reported damaged. </div></div>

Always price your items to include the cost of insurance. You have to take the loss here. The buyer paid for an item in an advertised condition and that is what they should receive. You may be able to negotiate a partial refund, but anything short of a full refund and you taking the item back would rely solely on the grace of the buyer. You aren't directly responsible for the damage, but you are responsible for the delivery arrangements.

How am I responsible for the delivery arrangements? If the buyer wanted insurance, then Yes I would have added it. But he didnt, and USPS screwed up..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't directly responsible for the damage, but you are responsible for the delivery arrangements. </div></div>

Because you took the item to the magic shipping place and traded money or beans for their delivery services. If that doesn't clear it up, try this: If the item was at your residence and the buyer wanted to receive it, what actions would be necessary for said item to get from one place to the other? Hint: You'd have to arrange some means of delivery. Until that item reaches the buyer, it is in your possession. You pay insurance for the delivery company to take on your responsibility for the item. No one behind a desk called your buyer up and asked them if they wanted to insure the package. That decision was left to you. Suck it the fuck up and mark it down as a lesson learned.

Edit:
For future reference, if I'm ever involved in a transaction with you I will assume that I will either receive the advertised item in exchange for my money or a full refund. Plus interest would be nice, but it's a comical thought at best.

I insure packages always, so I don't have to face down this scenario. I have been screwed by sellers but I have never lost a package, and I use USPS exclusively. Knock on wood. Matter of fact, fixin to send out some packages probly today...they will be insured.

If one of the vendors here or anywhere sends you a package that you ordered and it gets damaged in transit, who do you expect to cover the cost for it? You or them? It's the same situation. How many threads have we seen where a company didn't resolve an issue as such, and not they are evil? You are responsible for delivering what you advertised.

I had this happen with 1500 bullets, USPS lost them and the seller decided for me that we would just split the loss, which I think is total BS, but at least I got half of my money back though. My new rule is always insure, regardless if the buyer asks for it. It may be a pain to get reimbursed but you will eventually get reimbursed.

Once it leaves your hands you're not responsible. If it gets lost then helping out the other person track it is something you should do just as a courtesy but if it gets damaged en route then you are not responsible. OTOH if you are a large company and you can return products to the distributor then yes, you take care of the buyer. We know the shit that comes with the territory when we do this kind of stuff so as the buyer all we can do is hope the seller handled our goods properly, described the items exactly how they are and took the time to properly package our stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How am I responsible for the delivery arrangements? If the buyer wanted insurance, then Yes I would have added it. But he didnt, and USPS screwed up..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: athhud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You aren't directly responsible for the damage, but you are responsible for the delivery arrangements. </div></div></div></div>

He SPECIFICALLY said no to insurance, upon your asking if he wanted it?

If this is the case he's SOL, not you.

I shipped a barrel by UPS a year ago and thy managed to destroy or loose the package. I didnt buy the insurance, I refunded the guy his money and ate the cost of the barrel. I always ship insured now, it was a $300 lesson learned.

If you do put insurance on your shipments, make sure you get the correct insurance. If you get the regular insurance, and you sold a $3000 optic and the post office or UPS looses it or breaks it, they're only liable for about $100, which means there will be $2900 missing out of the $3000. Pay more for the insurance that will cover all the costs.

Well, if you sell something shipped (shipping included) you are responsible to the purchaser. If you sell an item "plus" shipping, the buyer should agree in advance to the mode/method of shipping and insurance and if it arrives damaged due to shipping then he/she takes responsibility. Part of the problem is how in fact can the purchaser clearly determine the damage happened during the shipping process or was it damaged prior to and a dishonest seller is just trying to "get over?" On another note, just because insurance was not purchased doesn't mean the transport firm is not responsible but it may require quite an effort on you part for them to rectify the loss. As mentioned, it's always prudent for someone (buyer or shipper) to insure the package. Hope it works out for you!

It all comes back to people being cheap asses and doing this whole "if you want insurance it's extra" thing.

When you sell something you are like it or not responsible for making sure it gets to the customer's location in the condition it was agreed to.

The carriage contract is between you and your shipper, not the person receiving it, unless they are using their own carrier or account with the carrier.

If you can't afford to eat the loss then send it insured for the full value unless you have your own insurance coverage.

I'm sure there will be tons of pages of people saying "well they didn't want to pay for insurance so it's tough luck" or "If they wanted it insured they should have said so". However if you actually run a real business, you are almost certian to loose near 100% of the time you try to take that line with the credit card company, paypal, court or arbitration, if that is your excuse when something doesn't make it to the customer. Even if you have a signed statement saying they waive insurance cover, you will very often still loose any credit card or paypal dispute.

If you are an individual or a small business without a good shipping insurance cover or big enough to self insure your shipments, then please do yourself a favour and insure your shipments & if you are using someone else's shipping account, still make sure you put down insurance.

Now to be fair all the major carriers are a huge pain in the ass about damage in transit and it will take you time and effort to get your money back & even with a lost package it can take time and effort to get your money back, but at least you now have a recourse.

I've just about never encountered anyone who didn't want to pay for insurance and then was fine with paying money for something that didn't arrive or arrived broken. So just simply stop being a bunch of cheapskates and insure it.