• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maintaining Strength While Injured

PBWalsh

Preston Walsh Fitness
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Central AL
Hi y’all,

Facts: On 11.21.19 I’ll be undergoing surgery to repair my left labrum (shoulder). I’ll be cleared for desk work within 2 weeks but full recovery is about 3 months, doc said 100% within 6 months.

Current diet is steak/oatmeal breakfast, steak lunch, fish/chicken supper, and a protein powder supplement in between the main meals. 180g - 200g of protein per day and around 1-1.5 gallons of water.

While I am primarily a powerlifter, I incorporate .5 - 3 mile runs every other day, with other cardio sprinkled in. Also have been working on pull-ups and crunches in hopes of a potential career change in summer 2020. Workout 6 days per week (3 power days, 3 accessory days).

Now obviously I’ll be down an arm for some time, but what are y’all suggestions as far as maintaining high stamina (timed 3 mile run), good pull up strength (say... 23+ reps) and a high crunch number (you know.. 115+ in 2 minutes). Also need to get down to 191 pounds and <18% body fat.

Current stats are 24ish minutes on the run, 19-21 pull ups, and 115+ crunches at 206 pounds (unknown BF%, estimate 20-23%).

Thanks,
- PBWalsh

I'm curious what others have to say because I probably don't have the advice you're looking for, but from my experience with injuries, as long as that arm is out of commission, you are at the mercy of atrophy. You can keep your good arm from losing too much strength, but you still have to let the other one catch up eventually. Also, putting your body under stress during recovery in order to keep your muscles in shape only prolongs healing, so if it were me, I would keep my workouts light with high reps. Get on a stationary bike to keep your lower body in shape and to put as little impact on your upper body. Crunches might be ok, guage how your shoulder feels while doing them and let off if you feel any pain.

I've learned this the hard way with my shoulder. I never actually let it heal properly after a boxing injury, and it took years of pain before I gave up any kind of exercise and sports for over a year to let it heal. Once you get your arm back, don't overdo it either. Keep your workouts/physio at a comfortable level. I don't even see professional athletes at the same level they were instantly after recovering from surgery, so don't try and go too hard just to keep yourself in some kind of shape.

Again, this is from my experience. If you feel comfortable, go as hard as you feel you need to. I was worried about losing too much strength as well though, and I ended up losing it eventually once I actually gave my shoulder a chance to heal properly.

You can obviously forget doing any of the powerlifting lifts (squat, bench and deadlift). You will have to be creative in doing any weightlifting exercises that will not hamper the recovery of your injury. Your biggest challenge will be weight control due to reduced workouts. Probably have to reduce caloric intake and lay off the carbs until you can get back to running and normal workouts.

Yeah I plan on dropping calories down to 12-1300 (currently hovering around 15-1600) and doing a good bit on the bike to keep some form of cardio up. Only real source of carbs will be oatmeal at breakfast, protein for the rest of the day with little to no fat besides natural fats in steak and salmon. Figure I may can do light leg stuff and single arms exercises with kettlebells and machines.

For weight loss, it’s always going to be just calories in vs calories out. Don’t be afraid of carbs and weight loss isn’t going to be a challenge. Track your food, walk 10k steps a day, and just do any sort of movementthat doesn’t hurt.

I’m not really sure how you usually track your nutrition but tracking your macros as accurately as possible will be the easiest way for weight loss while not restricting your diet. Monitor your weekly average weight, compare it to your weekly average caloric intake and aim for .5 - 1 lb of weight loss per week. Adjust your calories accordingly depending on how fast or slow your weight is moving. Eat what makes your body feel good, stay within your calories, and eat your veggies/protein

As for training, your priority is recovery. So focus on that first and just do movements that don’t hurt or whatever your PT has prescribed. Unless you’re completely immobile or a coach potato, you won’t lose crazy amounts of strength/muscle. You just feel weak, because your mind muscle connection has a bit of cobwebs. Once your fully recovered and moving normally again, the body will adapt and you’ll be firing those motor units again like normal.

This is just my experience from being injured and meet prep.

Reactions: PBWalsh
This is just me but Eat healthier and slowly and I mean slowly work that area. Like slowly add motion to it over time not weight lifting. it will never be the same but it can get close if you try. I have fallen off hills and cliff from mountain biking for years and I find that to help me recover.

Get rehabbed first. that's the most important thing. It should come fast since you were strong, but don't overdo it. Once you're recovered, look up blood flow restriction training. You'll get better gains with low weight to get on you on your way. Usually labrums tear from high weight and poor position. There are movements you should never make with your shoulders.

@Maxduty

Yeah surprisingly enough a heavier bench or OHP does not really hurt. Doctor said it most likely was torn (or began tearing) a few years ago as an offensive lineman (center) in college. I do remember 2-3 times I had a defender come inside and my shoulder go numb for ~15 seconds.

Most pain stems from turning a steering wheel or doing exercises outside of my body (side raises, tricep stuff).

This is what I was referring to with some motions that shouldn't be performed. The elbow whould not drop below the shoulder with motion. In a chest press, if the elbows drop behind the shoulder, the front of the labrum is stressed. With an OHP, form is important to protect the joint capsule. Since it's already torn, just get the surgery and rehab it. It'll be better afterwards.

Some others have brought up good points so far, but in terms of recovery maintenance programs, Strong Swift Durable (SSD - Military Athlete/Mountain Athlete/LE Athlete) have a few rehab plans. If you’re someone who needs a set schedule for consistency, then I recommend checking out their recovery plans as it will keep you scaled and on track.

Disclaimer: I haven’t used their recovery programs but I was a long time subscriber of the daily sessions and have run through many of their programs for work prep/maintenance with no complaints. Since they’ve become more popular though, their prices have had a slight increase. Regardless, still a great resource.

Hope your procedure goes well and your recovery is a quick one. ?

Question.
How old are you?
Cut out most of the red meat. Chicken and turkey are your friends.
give that shoulder a minimum of 30 days in a sling.
clean up your diet and get your bf down to 12-14%, you’ll feel a lot better.
When you can start exercising again, work on core exercises that don’t involve your arms. Sit ups, back extensions etc. Cardio. I do ether the stair machine or a treadmill at 4.3 level 10 incline. That’ll make you strong and great endurance.
All of this depends on your age of course.

the above route has gotten me to where I am now.
44yrs
5’10”
190lbs
31” waist
46” chest
When your completely healed, look up Frank Zanes training program before he competed against Arnold.

Last edited:
I tore my rotator cuff a year ago and it took about 9 months before I was back to 100%. Why? Because I was dumb as bricks and carried on training as normal instead of listening to the physio and resting.

The most important part of your rehabilitation is the recovery phase, don’t worry about maintaining strength, worry about recovering. Strength can be built back up. Equally, ensure that you have a rehabilitation plan that is going to ensure you get full range of motion back and stick to it religiously. I used a lot of very simple movements with rubber resistance bands and body weight, also incorporated a bit of yoga and when sufficiently pain free a lot of time swimming. Formulate a plan with a good physio and stick to it.

Diet is simple, if it didn’t grow out of the ground or has never had a face - don’t eat it. Use lots of healthy fats, avoid excessive alcohol/caffeine/sugar and make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals. Good luck with your recovery.

@Kickin45

I’m 26

Why do you say no red meat? Everything I’ve read states it has a great natural resource for fats, protein, and a bit of creatine. I’m eating actual steak, not ground beef.

I get the turkey and chicken thing though and eat it for supper usually.

As far as cleaning up my diet, what else is there? Maybe take out oatmeal and replace it with fats (coconut, natural peanut putter, again... steak). Diet is usually extremely consistent with what I’ve said above. Maybe once a week the wife and I will eat out. No alcohol or caffeine for me except the rare sweet tea.

@Athos300

My biggest problem is going to be restraining myself until I make a full recovery. I am going to seriously need to check my ego with strength if I am to be fully recovered. That means I’ll have to remind myself that the career change is more important than the weight on a barbell.

@Athos300

My biggest problem is going to be restraining myself until I make a full recovery. I am going to seriously need to check my ego with strength if I am to be fully recovered. That means I’ll have to remind myself that the career change is more important than the weight on a barbell.

Absolutely, be intelligent in your recovery. I probably would have been back to 100% in 4-5 months if I hadn’t been stubborn and kept at the weights. The sooner you are healed then the sooner you can get back at it.

Find something to focus on that will assist your career change, keep the mind and body moving in a manner that will be beneficial to your chosen path and keep you from getting bored and ending up doing your shoulder more damage in the gym. Weight on the bar is nice but having a fully healed and mobile shoulder is far more important.

@PBWalsh
Red meat is a very good transport for protein and aminos and a small amount will even help the healing process. But too much red meat will wreak havoc on your internals and put a ton of stress on your cardiovascular system(heart)
Most pros limit red meat to 3 servings or less of red meat per week.

Oatmeal is a great day starter. I eat 1dry cup every morning.
The rest of the day is raw sweet potatoes or if I’m doing a mega day in the gym I’ll do jasmine rice for its ability to quickly metabolize.

At 26, if you want to power lift, you certainly have a few years of that available to you, but take it from an old(er) lifter like me and several others here....train for the long haul, which means training smart. Powerlifting tears your body apart much earlier than it should. And most powerlifters have aches and pains that never go away.
If your already having surgeries at 26, I’d change my mindset now.
you don’t heal faster the older you get friend. A minor injury at 35 and up can take months or even years to heal. A med/moderate injury could easily end your ability to train permanently

Gottcha. After some reading today, sounds like chicken will be my best bet. Lower calories, same protein, less fats, less carbs, less dollars too.

Think it’d be in my best health to use this time to get into a overall healthier body, even if that means sacrificing strength. I have many years to gain that back, but fewer years to easily get into the teens in body fat. As mentioned before, I must take my ego out of it and focus on a better body.

You can do this. I know. I did. Tore my left bicep in '97. in a sling for 75 days. During that time I PCS'd all of my gear in the back of my truck (manual xmsn) by myself. Stuff's harder but you can still do it.

Squat- get yourself a safety squat bar. Cinch up the bad arm tight to your chest and hold on with the good one. Squat. No belt.

Bench- Get your training partner or wife to hold your chest down on the bench (on the bad side) while you DB bench on the good side.

Back- put your grape against the wall and DB row. A lot.

Accessory work - get louie simmons bands and DB's.

Running - strap that bad arm tight to your chest and run like Forrest Gump.

I started back in June '97 benching the bar for sets of ten. By Thanksgiving I was doing 285 for sets of five. With my feet up.

Be careful with the injury and be aggressive (but smart) with the rest of your training.

Good luck and God bless you. God bless America

Don’t be afraid to work the areas unaffected by the injury. I compete in powerlifting meets also and I am 63 years old. I broke my ankle one year and while I could not do much (anything) with legs I could keep benching. Don’t let your whole body atrophy because of an injury in one isolated area. Be smart like many have said above when selecting exercises so you don’t jeopardize the rehab on injured area.

Gottcha. After some reading today, sounds like chicken will be my best bet. Lower calories, same protein, less fats, less carbs, less dollars too.

Think it’d be in my best health to use this time to get into a overall healthier body, even if that means sacrificing strength. I have many years to gain that back, but fewer years to easily get into the teens in body fat. As mentioned before, I must take my ego out of it and focus on a better body.

You'll want/need variety in your diet. There are many good sources of protein; feel free to explore them. Chicken is a good starting point, but most people will tire of anything given enough time. Some red meat isn't going to hurt anything for most people, although it will cause issues for some people (it really screws up my wife's numbers).

You're young. If you hear fully and properly, you'll bounce back fine. Focus on healing properly as your primary goal, because losing a bit of muscle or picking up a bit of fat is only a short-term problem if you're determined.

The healing process might be a great time to focus on other aspects of health, such as aerobic fitness, flexibility, balance, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited: