• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Making a Ghillie

die_dunkelheit

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2012
Hey guys,
As I get the materials together to build a ghillie suit I've got a question. I've already got or sourced the fishnet, burlap, tanker coveralls, and thought I'd use some 1000d cordura as skids for durability. I've got some 1000d MultiCam on the way and was planning to use that, but now I'm thinking it may be too noisy..? Cordura seems to make that damned "zip" sound when it brushes against anything up to and including itself. The other thought is that when at audible range from <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> I'm not exactly moving that fast, so maybe this is a non-issue?

What is your experience or opinions on Cordura as skids?
And taker coveralls? It was suggested to me over a flight suit. I planned on removing the whole back from the velcro vent at the bottom (above your ass) to the velcro vent at the top (bellow your neck) and replace it with some nylon mesh. Thumbs up or down?

Re: Making a Ghillie

Regardless -
Start with a larger size than you would normally wear. After tacking the netting on, you will have gathered the material in a couple hundred places, diminishing the overall size of the garment.

If you want it to fit comfortably, and you are generally a LARGE, use an XL.

just dont end up like my buddy who thought he was going to build something badass and end up with a 20+ pound suit... i think he went a wee bit overboard with the burlap...

I got all that, but cordura? Anybody use cordura skids?
The issue is this, I like the cordura for durability, it's water proof, and it's MultiCam. I don't like the sound it makes in friction.
I'd really appreciate your input on this. Am I over thinking this issue? Have any of you used cordura for skids?

Thanks guys,
Anthony

You might want to try asking this question in the Fieldcraft forum...lots of ghillie discussion going on there.

cordura is definitely a good choice and its as tough as you are going to get.
once you do a few crawls, the noise signature is greatly reduced

I've got one ghillie with cordura and the noise has never been an issue. A cheaper alternative is find an old canvas seabag. Used that on my first ghillie and 4 years later its still holding up well. Why spend more money on Multicam reinforsment when you're going to be face down anyways.

Unless you plan on crawling a few hundred yards OR MORE and rather often, across rocks, sand burs or some kind of thorns...skids are completely unnecessary.
I'd NEVER use a flight suit for a ghillie, but mine are dedicated for hunting. Full Body, one piece suits are way over kill for my needs.
We encounter occasional sand burs and cactus and but it's never been often enough that I wanted extra protection.

I've discarded ghillie pants and completely removed all skid pads from the suit I use.
Unless you've got some TERRIBLE stuff you're going to have to crawl through, a <span style="text-decoration: underline">home made</span> version of Tactical Concealment ROID hood is all I would ever need or want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: die_dunkelheit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys,
As I get the materials together to build a ghillie suit I've got a question. I've already got or sourced the fishnet, burlap, tanker coveralls, and thought I'd use some 1000d cordura as skids for durability. I've got some 1000d MultiCam on the way and was planning to use that, but now I'm thinking it may be too noisy..? Cordura seems to make that damned "zip" sound when it brushes against anything up to and including itself. The other thought is that when at audible range from <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> I'm not exactly moving that fast, so maybe this is a non-issue?

What is your experience or opinions on Cordura as skids?
And taker coveralls? It was suggested to me over a flight suit. I planned on removing the whole back from the velcro vent at the bottom (above your ass) to the velcro vent at the top (bellow your neck) and replace it with some nylon mesh. Thumbs up or down? </div></div>

Cordura skids- definitely, noise will reduce with use, like Brutus said.

Coveralls- not my style. I like BDUs, more versatile and easier to use. You dont always need pants, I've found.

Vents- I use nylon porthole mesh from rockywoods.com

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/C...Mesh-Coyote-Tan

Sew everything you can, and use minimal burlap. Keep the suit light, and light colored, it's easier to make darker than lighter.

I'll add more to this as I come up with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start with a larger size than you would normally wear. After tacking the netting on, you will have gathered the material in a couple hundred places, diminishing the overall size of the garment.</div></div>
Probably the most important information on the page. Between this and working out over the almost year it took me to complete mine, it no longer fit when I was done :'(

Ok, thanks guys that solves it.
I didn't order the MultiCam for this project, I'm making a buddy some pouches and a pack for me. I ordered 5 yards, won't use nearly that much so I thought I'd use it for my skids too. The fact that it's MultiCam is secondary, I'd do the same if it was olive or coyote, the primary thought here was durability, being that it's 1000d cordura...

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions.