• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2020 Discussion

As far as shelter, last year I ran a hammock and was plenty warm. We set up in a field with the wind beating up all of our shelters, we even had a few dome tents roll. I got hit with a plastic barricade that blew into my hammock. I'm gonna run a low bottomless tarp shelter 2020.

As far as making ruck times goes, am I looking at this wrong. I get the idea of tracking devices now in the preparation phase, but once you get there won't there be a somewhat large group of people all starting the ruck at or about the same time? I know the pace I need to be at, but also know that if we're in the middle of the herd we're probably going to be in good shape as far as making time goes. I get the point of worrying about a way to track and time yourself now, but once we get there won't it be pretty easy to see if we're falling behind the herd?

Question regarding the use of a sling.
I have a really nice sling I use for PRS but it is rather heavy. How much will a sling help for Mammoth (from those who have competed before).
I am wondering if it is worth bringing or getting something simpler and lighter. I am just below 50 lbs including my rifle so every little thing I can do to shave weight will be helpful.

I was also considering starting a Mammoth subreddit but I am unable to do so due to low "karma" if anyone would be interested in starting one we might be able to organize things a little easier into various topics.

Regards

As far as making ruck times goes, am I looking at this wrong. I get the idea of tracking devices now in the preparation phase, but once you get there won't there be a somewhat large group of people all starting the ruck at or about the same time? I know the pace I need to be at, but also know that if we're in the middle of the herd we're probably going to be in good shape as far as making time goes. I get the point of worrying about a way to track and time yourself now, but once we get there won't it be pretty easy to see if we're falling behind the herd?

Not everyone moves at the same pace. The only time there was a large group was the last ruck. Tracking is good to make sure you'll be on time and aren't falling behind. Some of the longer rucks saw our squad strung out to where we couldn't see each other. We all made the time but when you're tired, moving across terrain and not knowing what's ahead with bad weather I'll take the tracking as insurance.

I have a really nice sling I use for PRS but it is rather heavy. How much will a sling help for Mammoth (from those who have competed before).
I am wondering if it is worth bringing or getting something simpler and lighter. I am just below 50 lbs including my rifle so every little thing I can do to shave weight will be helpful.

I was also considering starting a Mammoth subreddit but I am unable to do so due to low "karma" if anyone would be interested in starting one we might be able to organize things a little easier into various topics.

Regards

I brought one and really didn't use it. But I'd have a lighter one that works for most uses in the event of a stage movement or transition with a pistol.

Regards

I ran a sling and didn't use it at all, that said, I'm gonna be running a sling again in 2020.

Reactions: TACC
My team is in.

Trying to get clarification that the total is 700 and that is for the team or for the individual.

**EDIT** Confirmed that 700 is for the team

Last edited:
Reactions: muddawg
Not everyone moves at the same pace. The only time there was a large group was the last ruck. Tracking is good to make sure you'll be on time and aren't falling behind. Some of the longer rucks saw our squad strung out to where we couldn't see each other. We all made the time but when you're tired, moving across terrain and not knowing what's ahead with bad weather I'll take the tracking as insurance.

That makes sense. I get it.

Did the registration website go down?!?!? I'm trying to get registered and none of the links work with either my mobile or my desktop.

Last edited:
I just tried it again and the links wouldn't allow me to register.

I'm dialed in now. I got on last night around 9pm and got signed up. I was so excited I couldn't sleep so I went out and rucked for 3.77 miles and hit a new personal record for overall pace. I can't wait for this.

Quick question regarding eating/logistics in the morning.

Do we have time to reasonably heat up a freeze dried meal or do we just snap out of bed, break camp and haul ass?

Making sure my calories plans make sense or not.

Quick question regarding eating/logistics in the morning.

Do we have time to reasonably heat up a freeze dried meal or do we just snap out of bed, break camp and haul ass?

Making sure my calories plans make sense or not.

I believe there is just a set off time, and it starts with or without you.

Question for you veterans of Mammoth: What is the toilet situation out there? I would assume they have porta-potties and paper, but wanted to know if I needed to prepare to dig my own catholes. I wouldn't think they would want 200 people digging catholes, but I wasn't sure. I know, I know...its a crappy question :)

Question for you veterans of Mammoth: What is the toilet situation out there? I would assume they have porta-potties and paper, but wanted to know if I needed to prepare to dig my own catholes. I wouldn't think they would want 200 people digging catholes, but I wasn't sure. I know, I know...its a crappy question :)

Great question, I’ve been wondering that myself.

Is .223 Wylde allowed as secondary shooter? Also what mag scope did most run as the secondary, is 3-15x a good range?

There are portajohns or regular buildings.

You should be fine with a .223 Wylde, but double check with the MD. The spirit is 223/556, not an ackley or something else.

Secondary is whatever you feel is necessary for shots out to 6-800 yards. We both ran 7-35xs for better target ID.

There are portajohns or regular buildings.

You should be fine with a .223 Wylde, but double check with the MD. The spirit is 223/556, not an ackley or something else.

Secondary is whatever you feel is necessary for shots out to 6-800 yards. We both ran 7-35xs for better target ID.

Awesome, so secondary is still based around medium range targets. Was worried there would be some real close targets around 50 yards in.

I asked about spotters earlier. It seems like some people didn't bring them at all. I'm curious to hear from past competitors.

The Kestrel is a big help for 600+ yrds, when day to day conditions can significantly effect POI. With that said, if you don't make your ruck time the shooting is going to be just for fun. The $200 Garmin is great for tracking ruck times, but the $400 Kestel is a huge benefit to any long range shooter.

The tough Thing (and the fun part) about mammoth is the descision Logic that works for one year might not work for the next. For example last year a spotter with a reticle helped but wasn’t 100% necessary. But if this year they throw in stage where they won’t let you use electronics to rangefind UKD Target (Which has happened in past events) you might wish you had that reticle spotter. Outside the match specific gear restrictions, Therent really any hard and fast “rules” on gear choice. It a personal thing, You can rationalize taking or leaving almost anything. That being said here are some things I learned the hard way: you need to be intimately familiar with all your gear, weight is your enemy, making the rucks is your first priority (if you miss every shot but make the rucks chances are you’ll take a walk to the prize table) if in doubt leave it out and save the weight, the more uses something has the better (trekking poles can double as shooting Sticks and shelter support) foot care and nutrition/hydration are most important. Prepare your body and mind for the most fun you’ll ever have suffering and doubting your sanity. Hope that helps.

There are porta johns at every stage and camp area, but we did run out of paper at a few stages. Bring some wipes just in case. 223 wylde is good to go for secondary. As for optics, I ran a 3.5-21 last year and found myself scanning for targets more than I should at higher power. The majority of secondary shots were well withing 400 yards, I will be running a much lower power optic this year.

Reactions: never_summer
I'm dragging up a post. I can't find the answer anywhere. If you miss the 16min/mile. Are you out, like going home your done out. Or can you still finish the COF and just not be in the standing to win?

You get trucked everywhere behind those rucking. You still shoot, they just notate on the results when you dropped out and are placed in order by when you drop.

Question:
I am looking at the possibility of electronic hearing protection (in ear). Does anyone have solid experience with these types of products?

I typically use in ear foam plugs but they clearly reduce the ability to communicate with the Primary/Secondary.

Any input would be appreciated.

Question:
I am looking at the possibility of electronic hearing protection (in ear). Does anyone have solid experience with these types of products?

I typically use in ear foam plugs but they clearly reduce the ability to communicate with the Primary/Secondary.

Any input would be appreciated.

I was so amped on my first stage I shot my first round without ear pro, 10/10 do not recommend. I used the green peltor in ear rubber plugs without any issue communicating. I don't usually run electronics outdoors, just for indoor shooting.

What kind of bags are you guys running? I have a Carbon Fiber ruck that i use at work but not sure if i should take it for this

Currently using a Kuiu Ultra 5500, Might try an Ultra 4000, very nice, light and strong system.

Reactions: Austinjunks
As far as my pack goes, currently the plan is to run an Osprey Aether 70L without the top lid. I still need to work on getting a rifle strapped to it and getting that all dialed in.

A question I have for those who've gone to these before is what do you do for a rear bag if anything? The other night I weighed my pint sized game changer and it was around 3 pounds. I found that bag really helpful at the Guardian event that shot at, but I'm not humping around an extra 3# if I don't need to. I was thinking about opening up a corner and letting the fill out and replacing it with something much lighter from a hobby store or something.

Some folks empty the bag then fill with sand or dirt at each station. To clarify, I read that. Never attended. Yet!

That's not a bad idea, if you can count on grabbing some dirt & sand when you get to the stages.

I ran a Gamechanger with prototype GitLite material. This or a well used Wiebad Tac Pad are my lighter bags of choice. If it's predominantly natural terrain, the Tac Pad is my go to. If positional work is expected, I'll take the GC.