• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2020 Discussion

I wonder is they squad based on division or if there will be a mix of tough man and regular.

Last year they mixed the divisions.

Hah yeah there is the possibility. I finally just got my pack in and am gonna be getting it fitted up. I don’t know if you want to be in my squad haha

Nah, I'd prefer folks from the hide and such, I hate getting squaded with antisocial folks.

We got the forms through email and sent them in. I just thought there was another thing coming.

Q: Could we get by with 1 tripod or do ya think each shooter needs their own?
A: You could get by with no tripods. You pick.
Q: So there no stage it would be to advantage?
A: We didn’t say that.

Seeking opinions from last years competitors in this topic. If you packed a tripod, how beneficial was it? Is it going with you this year?

I'm wondering how many people also brought a LRF as well as binos?
What power binos did you bring if you did?
The reason I ask is I'm thinking about picking up a set of rangefinding binos (probably a 10x). Thoughts?

What are you guys running for footwear? Boots, shoes, etc? I'm comfortable and would prefer to stick with something as close to a running shoe as possible.

I'm wondering how many people also brought a LRF as well as binos?
What power binos did you bring if you did?
The reason I ask is I'm thinking about picking up a set of rangefinding binos (probably a 10x). Thoughts?
I packed a lrf, but not binos or spotter and it was just fine.
What are you guys running for footwear? Boots, shoes, etc? I'm comfortable and would prefer to stick with something as close to a running shoe as possible.
I am running Solomon speed assaults, super light weight.

Reactions: TACC and Hoyt7mm
shooting parter and I are both using a version of the Solomon ultra 3 low shoe, rei is doing a sale on gear that ends today and they aren’t that bad on price. I’m gonna bring a rf but probably not Binos, just got a tripod setup but up in the air if the weight will be worth it or not. Tripod setup weighs just over 4lbs

Reactions: TACC and Benji7
my main footwear will be the Garmont T8 NFS lightweight boot. I've been rucking in it since June and it's so light. the pair weighs 19oz.
I'll also bring my Saloman Speedcross that I run OCR races in. They suck on hard surface for long periods but if we're in mud and grass they are extremely capable.

Reactions: TACC
Q: Could we get by with 1 tripod or do ya think each shooter needs their own?
A: You could get by with no tripods. You pick.
Q: So there no stage it would be to advantage?
A: We didn’t say that.

Seeking opinions from last years competitors in this topic. If you packed a tripod, how beneficial was it? Is it going with you this year?
You can get away with no tripod, as we shot 6th place shooting wise last year and didnt have a tripod. That being said we are both takin GB one this year.

what's everyone carrying we are two weeks out seeing if i may have overlooked anything

About 50 lbs :LOL:

More detailed would be:
308 Bolt gun & Accessories + 140 rds
Walther PPQ M2 & Accessories + 80 rds
AG Gamechanger w/ Git-lite
RRS TFCT-33 Tripod
Cabelas Minimalist Pack
Bag, pad, bivy
5x Mtn House Meals, 1x 4oz Jetboil fuel can
6x Cliff Bars, 6x Protein Bars, 1 lb Jerky, 12x propel packets, Nalgene bottle
1x Mid temp base layer, 1x cold temp base layer, 1x rain gear
3x light moister wicking long sleeves, 3x undies, 6x socks, 1x hoodie/zip-up
ASICS GT-2000 Trail shoes
Phone & portable battery pack (using for dope, along with hard copies)
Assorted necessary toiletries/foot&skin care

Going to bring a wide range of clothing and figure out what I need once we get there and see the weather forecast. Feel free to point out any glaring omissions! :)

More detailed would be:
RRS TFCT-33 Tripod
Cabelas Minimalist Pack
Bag, pad, bivy

Going to bring a wide range of clothing and figure out what I need once we get there and see the weather forecast. Feel free to point out any glaring omissions! :)

yea i am still debating on the tripod and if a backup lrf would be worth it.

More detailed would be:
RRS TFCT-33 Tripod
Cabelas Minimalist Pack
Bag, pad, bivy

Are you bringing a rangefinder or binos?

Based on this image, it looks like safety is being taken very seriously this year.

F9B165DD-DEBF-4A02-B2ED-25E30F57F62C.png

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Two problems I have with this image. One is the “briefcase” carry. How many people along the way did he cross with that muzzle. Second, mag or no mag, the bolt is closed. This is a competition and not a combat op. That shouldn’t be allowed.

the bolt closed isn’t as big a deal as long as the camber is clear,I’d want my chamber to be clean and dry too. But this is 2020, there is no reason you couldn’t find a safer way to ruck your rifle.

Well they had us show clear chambers bolt down hammer down then you packed gear. I get the whole muzzle flashing. And in a prs event I would agree 100% but when at mammoth these are well seasoned shooters. And yes accidents do happen but if you were there there were RO’s everywhere. And personally I never questioned it. Plus the Army base gave us the three was to carry the weapons.

Reactions: never_summer
End results of how many started and how many finished the ruck stages?

And listing of top competitors rifles and rounds if they are posted anywhere?

66 Toughman and 19 Regular teams started the 2020 Grunt Style Vortex Optics Mammoth Sniper Challenge last Friday and today 42 Toughman and 9 Regular completed it.

It was a hell of a good time. I carried my rifle on the side like pictured, it got my rifle mid high and balance right up against the frame. Felt like it was the best way to keep from side loading or having an anchor pivoting off the back of the bag while rucking. ROs and competitors were very professional and cleared before being allowed to leave the stage line to load their rucks.

So for those that shot this year what pack did you Cary and did you like it?

I carried the euro 1 and while is wasn’t good it’s very heavy I am already on the hunt to change out gear for next year.

I carried the euro 1 and while is wasn’t good it’s very heavy I am already on the hunt to change out gear for next year.
I ran a mystery ranch Glacier this year and was very happy with it. 2019 I ran a Eberle gun runner and sold it not even a week after mammoth.

I used the kuiu pro frame with their ultra 4200 bag. I had it packed about 2/3 full and there was plenty of compression straps to secure the bag rock solid. Carried the rifle on the top lid and kept the side rifle carrier for when we hit the stair stage. Overall I feel like it was an awesome pack for the event, the load lifters really kept everything off my shoulders... until we hit those big hills and I had some I’m gonna die form leaning forward

I ran a Sawtooth 45 in Toughman. It was pretty packed at the start, and I used a Kuiu pack gun holder for strapping the rifle to the back. I put my rear bag on the lid and used the top straps of the pack to cross the barrel and bag before tightening it all down. Very stable.

I ran a Sawtooth 45 in Toughman. It was pretty packed at the start, and I used a Kuiu pack gun holder for strapping the rifle to the back. I put my rear bag on the lid and used the top straps of the pack to cross the barrel and bag before tightening it all down. Very stable.

Got a pic? Would like to see this arrangement. Sounds like a good idea.