• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Man Shoots Himself In The Face At Range

I agree he's an idiot. Who else thinks the sheriff was a little too sanctimonious.

And this is why I will DQ without hesitation anyone at a USPSA match for violating any of our safety rules, including the ones requiring keeping the finger out of the trigger guard.
I got DQ'd for sweeping my hand in front of my gun. It was not loaded at the time.

Guess what I never did again....
Guess what my son learned to watch out for (He shut down an Army vet for sweeping him--the gun counter at Cabelas drives him nuts--I've even been known to swat barrels in public stores)...

Had a guy try and train me to put my finger on the trigger during the draw. I did not repeat my patronage.

Living in the city (and being anti-social) means I frequent Public Ranges. Big ass muzzle brakes help keep people away.

Reactions: KipM and 308pirate
They should always have a fire going so they can slap a hot iron to the wound, at least that what we do at our house.

• Haha
Reactions: BLEE
This is why I don't go to the range during "peak" hours.
Fucking idiot!
I've spent many hours at gun ranges. I used to do a lot of instructing. My wife is still an LTC instructor. I have seen countless accidental discharges. I've seen 3 people actually shoot themselves. One of them died. I used to have a roof over my private shooting range when I used to let people pay to shoot there. When there got to be so many holes in the roof, I simply took it down instead of replacing it. I'm all for the 2nd amendment in a big way, but these are the people that will now be walking around packing guns in Texas now that they passed constitutional carry. This is what these people do when they are at a range and their mind is 100 percent on shooting. Can you imagine what they might do if they are caught by surprise and feel they have to draw their weapon?

I got DQ'd for sweeping my hand in front of my gun. It was not loaded at the time.

Guess what I never did again....
Guess what my son learned to watch out for (He shut down an Army vet for sweeping him--the gun counter at Cabelas drives him nuts--I've even been known to swat barrels in public stores)...

Had a guy try and train me to put my finger on the trigger during the draw. I did not repeat my patronage.

Living in the city (and being anti-social) means I frequent Public Ranges. Big ass muzzle brakes help keep people away.
One of the most dangerous people we ever had on the range was a retired Green Beret Col. Everyone gravitated to him because of his service and reputation but as soon as he brought the guns out, look out.

Maybe when you saw that much combat in Vietnam including being besieged on some hilltop outpost for days by the NVA you forego muzzle discipline, but damn.

My son drives his shotgun coach nuts, because he insists on not putting his finger inside the trigger guard until he has acquired the target. The coach is all like "You don't have time to get your finger there and make the shot." My son is all "Hold my water bottle and watch this..."
Some shotgun games require a lot of speed. However, I always taught not to put your finger in the trigger guard on the trigger until you shout "pull."

I've spent many hours at gun ranges. I used to do a lot of instructing. My wife is still an LTC instructor. I have seen countless accidental discharges. I've seen 3 people actually shoot themselves. One of them died. I used to have a roof over my private shooting range when I used to let people pay to shoot there. When there got to be so many holes in the roof, I simply took it down instead of replacing it. I'm all for the 2nd amendment in a big way, but these are the people that will now be walking around packing guns in Texas now that they passed constitutional carry. This is what these people do when they are at a range and their mind is 100 percent on shooting. Can you imagine what they might do if they are caught by surprise and feel they have to draw their weapon?
Freedom isn’t pretty, but it isn’t as ugly as slavery.

so if you don't know not to wear loose clothing at the range where casings bounce back at you, you don't know shit.

Reactions: Tono
I didn't read what they guy's excuse was but I've had hot brass go in my shirt and behind my shooting glasses and sit below my eye until I could claw my glasses off. It wasn't enough to lose control of what I was doing.

So what if the guy got in a gun fight and got hit with hot lead, would he shoot himself in the face?

Reactions: 308pirate
I didn't read what they guy's excuse was but I've had hot brass go in my shirt and behind my shooting glasses and sit below my eye until I could claw my glasses off. It wasn't enough to lose control and sight of what I was doing.
same here.
step 1, put the gun down.

Reactions: KZP
I RO at our local little Podunk range. When folks show up you know immediately how much "attention" they'll need. I have no problem being dad to a six year old. It's why I do it. But I have told some dumbasses to leave. But 99% of the time everyone is cool, because I always start with "you know what? Instead of "hey dumbass"

Probably some guy who never had a gun before, buys one for the first time, thinks he's smarter than most other gun owners, therefore no need to go get trained on how to use one... then finds out different. Expensive, painful, embarrassing lesson. Hope he's glad he lived to learn it.

Wait... I take that back. I just hope he learned it.

Then again, what does it matter to me if he learned or not?
Worst part of the whole thing was him making gun owners look stupid.

It may be hot but not enough to cause a man to drop to the ground in agony and shoot his face off.
Yeah that was a pussy drama queen moment if I've ever seen one.

I had a 223 case fresh out of my neighbors rifle go down the back of the neck opening of my shooting coat during the standing position stage of a high-power rifle match, while I had the rifle loaded and ready to shoulder. Just had to grin and bear it till the case cooled enough against my skin.

Reactions: BLEE
Probably some guy who never had a gun before, buys one for the first time, thinks he's smarter than most other gun owners, therefore no need to go get trained on how to use one... then finds out different.
Every man in America thinks he's born an expert in driving, shooting, and fucking.

Just ask them

Probably some guy who never had a gun before, buys one for the first time, thinks he's smarter than most other gun owners, therefore no need to go get trained on how to use one... then finds out different. Expensive, painful, embarrassing lesson. Hope he's glad he lived to learn it.

Wait... I take that back. I just hope he learned it.

Then again, what does it matter to me if he learned or not?
Worst part of the whole thing was him making gun owners look stupid.
Well, evidently some are stupid.

Had a piece of machine gun brass stick to my ear lobe and cheek once. I didn’t squirm around like a bitch and have an ND. Some silver sulfadiazine and keep trucking on. I agree, this guy is probably a drama queen in everything he does

these are the people that will now be walking around packing guns in Texas now that they passed constitutional carry.
Problem is, the LTC doesn't mean shit. I had a woman next to me during qualifying and I think she hit my target more than hers. She had never shot before.. the way they count scores, she passed the class.

People need to practice regardless of having an LTC. The only real benefit to that class the knowing the law of when you can legally use it.

Reactions: Winningdog
FC8BEE2F-24B7-404E-B783-21504686C7D9.jpeg

Cropped screenshot from the video.

Towards the end of the news clip, who all noticed this interesting grip technique? Let that weak hand slide up and experience that slide in motion! To each his own(technique), but that looks like a ‘how not to hold a semi’ bit of stock footage. I think the pain from a good slide bite would make hot brass seem preferable.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment in a big way, but these are the people that will now be walking around packing guns in Texas now that they passed constitutional carry. This is what these people do when they are at a range and their mind is 100 percent on shooting. Can you imagine what they might do if they are caught by surprise and feel they have to draw their weapon?
The LTC "training" in Ohio has fuck all to do with shooting and all to do with some stupid fudd trying to read the state syllabus while adlibing half of it and interjecting his idiotic opinions the other half.

There is a shooting "test" but no one can ever fail it. It is a complete and utter joke. All the CHL here means is that you passed a background check and the state got its hundo.

Evidently the Texas one seems just as useless: http://www.stateoftexaschl.com/ltc-class-info/shooting-test/. Is there even a time limit?

The OH class was so fucking useless that after I got the license I paid a lawyer (a real lawyer, not the shithouse lawyers who gave the course) to explain the relevant sections of Ohio Revised Code and advise me on what to do if I had to defend myself with a pistol.

Your comment is way off base.

PS if you think you know how to shoot a pistol under stress, show up to your local USPSA match and come hungry........for all the humble pie you're gonna eat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphatreedog
My son drives his shotgun coach nuts, because he insists on not putting his finger inside the trigger guard until he has acquired the target. The coach is all like "You don't have time to get your finger there and make the shot." My son is all "Hold my water bottle and watch this..."
What shotgun sport? And if skeet, trap, or SC....IMO he doesn't need a new coach as there are other ways we ensured safety.

Average skeet target shot by a seasoned competitor is about .33 seconds from first site to target breaking 10 feet before the center stake.

Just saying....

Now if tactical shotgun...I have no idea.

View attachment 7651151
Cropped screenshot from the video.

Towards the end of the news clip, who all noticed this interesting grip technique? Let that weak hand slide up and experience that slide in motion! To each his own(technique), but that looks like a ‘how not to hold a semi’ bit of stock footage. I think the pain from a good slide bite would make hot brass seem preferable.

The level of mental retardation amongst the majority of pistol owners in America is staggering.

I don't even know what in the ever loving fuck is going on there with those hands.

There is a shooting "test" but no one can ever fail it. It is a complete and utter joke. All the CHL here means is that you passed a background check and the state got its hundo.

Your comment is way off base.
Oh, we've had some fail it. That's the scary part. And, fail the written, too. No matter how many times we tell them that this is NOT a handgun proficiency course, there will always be someone who shows up not knowing which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of. Because CC will soon be the law come Sept 1, we now have people walking around town with handguns hanging out of their shorts, carrying illegally and thinking the law is in effect right now. The local LE is having a field day with it.

Oh, we've had some fail it. That's the scary part. And, fail the written, too. No matter how many times we tell them that this is NOT a handgun proficiency course, there will always be someone who shows up not knowing which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of. Because CC will soon be the law come Sept 1, we now have people walking around town with handguns hanging out of their shorts, carrying illegally and thinking the law is in effect right now. The local LE is having a field day with it.
CCW "training" bullshit achieves nothing but putting money in the hands of government

A right is a right.

Reactions: hunter1959
People need to practice regardless of having an LTC. The only real benefit to that class the knowing the law of when you can legally use it.
Absolutely. But, there are hoards of people out there that argue the LTC is cost prohibitive. It costs about 100-120 bucks to get the LTC in Texas. If you can't afford that, then you can't afford a handgun or the ammo it takes to maintain proficiency.

Absolutely. But, there are hoards of people out there that argue the LTC is cost prohibitive. It costs about 100-120 bucks to get the LTC in Texas. If you can't afford that, then you can't afford a handgun or the ammo it takes to maintain proficiency.
This is the same BS argument people tote out regarding tax stamps and NFA items. “If you can’t afford the stamp then you can’t afford the can anyway…”

There’s a shit ton of people I don’t trust not to hurt themselves or others carrying a fork with a cork on it. The trick is encouraging/enforcing training without infringing on the right. I think we can all agree that effective training is beneficial for everyone- both those that choose to carry and those that do not. But, what is effective, and what is infringement? And, is firearm proficiency enough?

Reactions: LRRPF52
There’s a shit ton of people I don’t trust not to hurt themselves or others carrying a fork with a cork on it. The trick is encouraging/enforcing training without infringing on the right.
That only works with people who posses a certain level of responsibility and intelligence. So far, I've encountered many who possess neither, yet they want to carry a handgun. Worrying about doing it legally or proficiently seems to be an afterthought to them.

And, is firearm proficiency enough?

This is a good point. accuracy on the fly is important, but there are many other things to prepare for as your video shows. You will find many open-carry proponents use the excuse that it allows them quicker access to the gun. In reality, it just shows the bad guy who in the room has a gun. The easiest thing to help you be prepared is situational awareness. Pay attention to people and what's going on around you. What women are often taught is that if you perceive a possible threat, put your hand on your gun and get ready. This works well for women because they usually don't have the strength to fight off an initial physical attack. There's no reason a man couldn't use the same tactic.

Pay an annual license fee of $1000 to the state, or forfeit your 4th and 5th Amendmend rights.

That's about as stupid as your argument.

Pay an annual license fee of $1000 to the state, or forfeit your 4th and 5th Amendmend rights.

That's about as stupid as your argument.
Just imagine if the 1st had the same licensing requirement as the 2nd.

Just imagine if the 1st had the same licensing requirement as the 2nd.
I would argue the price tag for exercizing the 1st are already higher than the 2nd; you have to sell your soul and either shut up, or regurgitate the "approved" speech. Look at what the CA cops did to that person that lightly criticized AOC...a special visit to that podcaster as a message to mind their place.

Fee paid to the state = tax = infringement.