• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manfrotto 190xproB question

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Wanted to make 100 percent sure that I was ordering the right tripod as the weight limitations listed are a bit less than what my rig weighs. Was reading the HOg Saddle thread and the Manfrotto190xproB was suggested, but when looking it up the max load capacity is 11 pounds - my rifle is almost 17.

Heres the tripod:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/47...num_Tripod.html

Will this work as stated or do I needto look into something else? I was not planning on using a head for the tripod and attaching a saddle directly to it for standing and seated shooting.

Re: Manfrotto 190xproB question

Here's a 190XPROB w/ 498 ball head and Hog Saddle. No issues whatsoever holding up a +17lb rifle.

213g1sw.jpg

You might also consider the 055 series; rated up to 18 lbs. I'm running one with the titanium head on my HOG saddle setup. No problem holding up 18 to 20 pound rigs.

I know a bunch of guys running 18lbs rigs with 190XPROB tripods. You'll be fine.
    A 055XPROB tripod could be a better choice if shooting heavier rifles, magnum calibers, or if you plan on firing from high kneeling to standing positions.

190 will be fine, I did break the top of one with the recoil of a 50 BMG, but honestly think that would also break a 55 i have both. Note to self do not shoot 50 off tripod

Remember, this is a photographic tripod.
    The maximum weight they list is the most the tripod can hold for an extended time exposure (more than 1 second) and give a razor sharp image.
    Not a concern with shooting applications.

Were can I get the one that has an 18lbs weight capacity, and the hog saddle attachment?

Thanks,

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Were can I get the one that has an 18lbs weight capacity, and the hog saddle attachment?

Thanks,

Zach</div></div>

I finally got the cash together and dumped it on basically the same set up as Petey, it turns out...

Called U.S. Tactical today and they confirmed 3 Hog Saddles (Mod7 w/ blk pads), now 2 :), in stock and ready to ship, so I jumped on it...Already had the order in for the 190XPROB and 498 w/ quick release (which I may just use for my spotter)...I am pumped!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 190XPROB w/ 498 ball head and Hog Saddle. No issues whatsoever holding up a +17lb rifle.

213g1sw.jpg
    </div></div>

+1

Get the 190xprob. Mine will hold any gun I have. Don't worry about the weight limit shit. Mine will hold my f class rifle in a hog saddle with the rc2 grip head. You will be fine.

I just got my 055cxpro4 yesterday, hog saddles are inbound.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my 055cxpro4 yesterday, hog saddles are inbound.

</div></div>

Commence Pee-Pee Dance!!! HAHA!

Got the 055XPROB, now had another question. What head do you guys use that double up the tripod as a tripod for a spotter?

I was looking at the Manfrotto heads but I don't even know what I'm looking at as far as function and use. Ideally I want something simple, yet VERY smooth and if this feature exists, something where you have to hold a button to get it to move and if you release the button it locks right there. Does that feature exist on any?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the 055XPROB, now had another question. What head do you guys use that double up the tripod as a tripod for a spotter?

I was looking at the Manfrotto heads but I don't even know what I'm looking at as far as function and use. Ideally I want something simple, yet VERY smooth and if this feature exists, something where you have to hold a button to get it to move and if you release the button it locks right there. Does that feature exist on any? </div></div>

322rc2