• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners vs McMillan cheek riser clamp system.

longgunJR

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2019
Central Texas
Hello all,
Looking for 1st hand experience opinions on the Manners clamp system for their cheek riser adjustment.
Do you guys like the clamp wheel on the McMillan stocks? any problem with it snagging on stuff?
Has anyone had experience with both and has any advice regarding selection of one over the other?

Found good info on McMillan's newer clamp bar system, the A5 is a really popular stock around my area, I want to go with Manners to have something different but I haven't been able to find much on what system they use.

I'm looking at an A5 and a T6A, I know the A5 is a proven durable workhorse but that's what everyone runs around me.

Currently shoot on a B&C M40 but I want something with an adjustable comb height and the purpose of the new stock is to build a prs style match rifle.

Thank you

Hello all,
Looking for 1st hand experience opinions on the Manners clamp system for their cheek riser adjustment.
Do you guys like the clamp wheel on the McMillan stocks? any problem with it snagging on stuff?
Has anyone had experience with both and has any advice regarding selection of one over the other?

Found good info on McMillan's newer clamp bar system, the A5 is a really popular stock around my area, I want to go with Manners to have something different but I haven't been able to find much on what system they use.

I'm looking at an A5 and a T6A, I know the A5 is a proven durable workhorse but that's what everyone runs around me.

Currently shoot on a B&C M40 but I want something with an adjustable comb height and the purpose of the new stock is to build a prs style match rifle.

Thank you
I havent used the manners so i cant say how that works but i have the mc millan and to me it set the standard for what an adjustible comb should be and no it has never snaged on anything basicly if you are catching the wheel on stuff your to close

Hello all,

Thank you

Manners uses KNW hardware designed by @Terry Cross. @lRI ultra light weight hardware is even available upon special request. Both function some what similar to Mcmillan's clamp bar.

Not sure what you mean by clamp wheel. If you're referring to the screw that holds Mcmillan's clamp bar cheek piece in place, I'm fairly certain there were several screw options directly from Mcmillan when you order the stock. Some are flush mounted so you don't have to worry about it getting bumped.

If you're asking about the thumbwheel hardware, there are 2 screws on either side of the wheel. Once you have height adjusted you tighten the 2 screws to keep the cheek piece in place. The screws can't be left loose during firing or you will know it as the cheek piece rocks back and forth like a rocking horse. So again no worries about bumping it.

I slightly prefer the KNW hardware, but I wouldn't pick one stock over another based on cheek hardware alone. The mini-chassis, different fill options and stock shapes available make a bigger difference to me. You might want to take a close look at Manner's PRS stocks for competition.

Reactions: Baron23
I had my last McMillan A3-5 sent to @Terry Cross for a loggerhead install instead of their thumbscrew. My Manners stocks also have Loggerheads in them. For no more than it costs, it is well worth the upgrade. The loggerhead uses an E clip to set a hard stop, where the McM relies solely on clamp force to keep it in place. The loggerhead is also made from the highest quality materials, and an overall very well thought out product.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhead7416
@goosed is right about Manners.

They use KMW hardware. Their elite carbon super light stocks have the LRI ULTACH (sp) Titanium clamp system. (I could be wrong, 99.9% sure Im right on this.

McMillian (per direct quote from Terry Cross owner of KMW) took his stuff, copied it (but not as well), and have someone make it cheaper.
Have heard it aint as good.

If you find a McMillian you like that isnt adjustable cheek rest, JDucos aka the StockDoc can fix you up with one with genuine KMW hardware.

I had my McMillan sent to @Terry Cross for a loggerhead install instead of their thumbscrew. My Manners stocks also have Loggerheads in them. For no more than it costs, it is well worth the upgrade. The loggerhead uses an E clip to set a hard stop, where the McM relies solely on clamp force to keep it in place.

Did you send it to Terry recently? I thought he was now referring everyone to @jducos (stock doc) for installs?

It was about a year ago.

McMillan drop shipped the stock to him, it was already made for the KMW hardware by McMillan. I could be wrong, but I think he'll still do the install on a new stock that was made for his hardware by McM. What he doesn't do is convert fixed stocks to adjustable, that's what he refers to Joe.

for those who have a manners with the quick adjust thumb wheel. is it ungodly difficult to tighten down so the cheekpiece doesnt wobble?

for those who have a manners with the quick adjust thumb wheel. is it ungodly difficult to tighten down so the cheekpiece doesnt wobble?
I have 3 manners with Thumbwheels. Each of them is slightly different in how much torque I need to secure cheekpiece solidly.

I found that a very small strip of thin masking tape helps reduce the force needed to clamp. Put an1/8" wide and 1" long on side the forward guide rod. Acts like a shim to reduce the amount of travel needed to clamp.

I can post pics if needed.

I have 3 manners with Thumbwheels. Each of them is slightly different in how much torque I need to secure cheekpiece solidly.

I found that a very small strip of thin masking tape helps reduce the force needed to clamp. Put an1/8" wide and 1" long on side the forward guide rod. Acts like a shim to reduce the amount of travel needed to clamp.

I can post pics if needed.
makes perfect sense

Reactions: Subwrx300
Did you send it to Terry recently? I thought he was now referring everyone to @jducos (stock doc) for installs?

You will never go wrong sending anything to Joe Ducos.

I do not "convert" solid comb stocks to adjustable but do have a dedicated area in the shop for installing the hardware on stocks already molded as 2-piece adjustable. I still do new stocks drop shipped here from McMillan. There are probably 30 or 40 stocks in here right now for the installs.

Thanks and be safe.

./

Reactions: Baron23 and goosed

Just got my thumb knob in the mail last week and yes, it was ungodly difficult to tighten down so there was no wobble. I slid a thin washer in between the stock and the hardware and now it works really well. Like was said above, it just needs a bit of a shim.

@goosed is right about Manners.

McMillian (per direct quote from Terry Cross owner of KMW) took his stuff, copied it (but not as well), and have someone make it cheaper.
Have heard it aint as good.

This is correct. Even with several variations of their own OEM hardware failing to perform as needed, they didn't change any designs for 2 decades until they started shipping a lot of stocks with no hardware installed. Samples, pricing and drawings were given to McMillan so they could gear up to source and install the KMW hardware. 2 months later they came out with the Clamping Bar version.

Bell and Carlson also flat out copied most of the hardware after receiving samples and dimensional prints from me under the guise of sourcing hardware for their new product line from KMW. A few months later, they were showcasing new stocks with their own version of the KMW hardware. Most of the LoggerHead hardware parts will actually interchange with the B&C hardware now. I am contacted regularly by B&C owners looking for parts.

I have emails and all correspondence regarding McMillan as well as B&C so you probably won't see either dispute any of this.

Welcome to the industry.

./

Reactions: b6graham
Just got my thumb knob in the mail last week and yes, it was ungodly difficult to tighten down so there was no wobble. I slid a thin washer in between the stock and the hardware and now it works really well. Like was said above, it just needs a bit of a shim.

I can't speak for the Manners knob but check your crossbolt.

If there is no lubricant on the threads, I would suggest a little nickel based anti-seize or similar where the crossbolt threads go through the off-side nut. It will increase the clamping force with the same amount of effort on the knob.

./

Reactions: CShooter92
This is correct. Even with several variations of their own OEM hardware failing to perform as needed, they didn't change any designs for 2 decades until they started shipping a lot of stocks with no hardware installed. Samples, pricing and drawings were given to McMillan so they could gear up to source and install the KMW hardware. 2 months later they came out with the Clamping Bar version.

Bell and Carlson also flat out copied most of the hardware after receiving samples and dimensional prints from me under the guise of sourcing hardware for their new product line from KMW. A few months later, they were showcasing new stocks with their own version of the KMW hardware. Most of the LoggerHead hardware parts will actually interchange with the B&C hardware now. I am contacted regularly by B&C owners looking for parts.

I have emails and all correspondence regarding McMillan as well as B&C so you probably won't see either dispute any of this.

Welcome to the industry.

./

That sucks Terry, what the hell! I always wondered why Mcmillan dragged their feet on your hardware for so many years while continuing to make their crap designs. And then they do that.

Manners implemented your hardware quickly if I recall, with obvious success.

Dang....

That sucks to hear! In the not too distant future I was looking at a .224 Valkyrie build for my son with the new McMillan A-10, but I will have to see about getting KMW loggerhead in there.

Welcome to the industry.

./

I just bought my first McMillan after owning a lot of manners and the first thing they spout out is how manners copy’s them !!! They didn’t impress me as a company and I likely won’t buy another McMillan ....