• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

This man's best friend...

KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG

The most famous dogs I can think of:

1. Balto and Togo: two of the dogs that made the famous Iditarod run.
2. Delta: Dog that saved it's owner's life 3x before dying trying to protect his child from the Mt. Vesuvius explosion.
3. Greyfriar's Bobby: Stayed at his owner's churchyard grave for the rest of his life. The groundskeeper at the church cemetery fed him. There was a similar dog in Japan that went to the train station every day at the time his deceased owner would have returned from work on the train...every day for the rest of his life.

It is said that Angels walk among us. Dogs would be the perfect cover for an Angel to watch humans at their best and worst and to report back to God...Dogs can see us at times when we think no one is looking, so they would be the perfect "spy" for God. I think that dogs are one of the finest gifts that the Lord put on earth to share life with we humans. I sure like having a dog in my life.

We just lost our little girl in May. She is the third Akita we have lost to cancer. She passed one day before her 11th birthday. We finally broke down and decide our male (Cash, white and brown coat) needed a new friend. We shifted from only Akita’s and decide to go with an Anatolian Shepard. Mynx (black coat) will be love and missed forever along with all of our others, but Lily is quickly working her way into our hearts.
35109D0B-8FF3-4FB6-ADFF-94170EA9225E.jpeg

48F3EABE-4847-4D40-99D5-378F355AFD90.jpeg

IMG_20200723_205230_01.jpg

Had a rough time with the little guy the day I posted his picture. Wasn't eating, became lethargic, and looked miserable. Thought his time was going to be in before he even got to 1. Some IVs and forcing him to swallow food helped. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong and he recovered and is as good as before.

20200816_151241.jpg

20180311_195730.jpg
20160419_232217.jpg

Lost my best friend I've ever had a year and half ago to cancer. We only got to share a few years with him but we spoiled him rotten. Retired bear hound turned bed hound. Miss him everyday but I have great memories of the most loving creature I've ever been blessed with. Make sure y'all give your best friends some extra love you won't regret it.

The most famous dogs I can think of:

1. Balto and Togo: two of the dogs that made the famous Iditarod run.
2. Delta: Dog that saved it's owner's life 3x before dying trying to protect his child from the Mt. Vesuvius explosion.
3. Greyfriar's Bobby: Stayed at his owner's churchyard grave for the rest of his life. The groundskeeper at the church cemetery fed him. There was a similar dog in Japan that went to the train station every day at the time his deceased owner would have returned from work on the train...every day for the rest of his life.

It is said that Angels walk among us. Dogs would be the perfect cover for an Angel to watch humans at their best and worst and to report back to God...Dogs can see us at times when we think no one is looking, so they would be the perfect "spy" for God. I think that dogs are one of the finest gifts that the Lord put on earth to share life with we humans. I sure like having a dog in my life.

Don't forget Cairo, dog that went with the team to get ole bin laden.

0DC42C44-FDBA-4646-898E-00DBBD497F82.jpeg

This is latte. He will out fight, out fetch, and out fuck your dog all day long. Being of French descent he is fucking fearless, and has killed several resident black bears before we could stop him. I caught him building a trebuchet in the garage last week. His IQ is off the charts. His swimming? He’s like a champion diver. Straight to the bottom of the pool every time. Other dogs tremble at the sound of his name.

I had a bad ass cattle dog before she died last year at 15. I did not get to pick this time.

I hadn't even heard of him. I'll put him on my "list" of famous dogs. Thanks.
His handler wrote a pretty good book about him. Not a lot of details about the OBL event, but their life together as a whole.

Reactions: 143lrsd
Torn ACL AND MCL, had surgery yesterday, 8 years old, should now have another 5-6 years to run around with all 4 legs. $3000 later but well worth it.

Attachments

• 20200823_212001.jpg
    20200823_212001.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 66
Torn ACL AND MCL, had surgery yesterday, 8 years old, should now have another 5-6 years to run around with all 4 legs. $3000 later but well worth it.

Thank you for paying for that surgery. It breaks my heart to see people give up on their companion over a few thousand dollars, especially when I see those same people turn around and buy an $80,000 boat or something. I wish your buddy the speediest and best recovery possible.

Thank you for paying for that surgery. It breaks my heart to see people give up on their companion over a few thousand dollars, especially when I see those same people turn around and buy an $80,000 boat or something. I wish your buddy the speediest and best recovery possible.

When I learn about people who keep old dogs, tripod dogs, who are willing to rescue dogs in need, pay hefty prices to get medical attention for dogs, or keep and help dogs that some folks would consider "inconvenient", I know I could be friends with those people who do things like that for dogs.

I couldn’t agree more. Our female Akita had the exact same surgery on ACL and MCL. She recovered and live many good years after. The cost wasn’t even a question. Hell we spent over $2k to try and find out if there was anything we could do to get her back healthy before she passed. We knew if she made it that she probably wouldn’t last more than a year, but it didn’t matter to us. She never made it out of the emergency vet before she passed, but at least I know we did everything we could. People that don’t take care of their animals or abuse animals deserve a slow painful death.

Yep, we pay more attention to our dog's health than our own. We had over $10,000 just in vet visit bills and I don't know how much in insulin for our lab. He passed at 7 years of age. He fought the good fight but you can't beat some diseases.

We have a Bernedoodle now. She can't hold a candle to the intelligence of my beloved Bailey. He could be taught something and in 10 minutes he'd have it mastered.

I still miss him tremendously.

I don't know if this poem has been posted previously but is worth reading again.

Only A Dog
"He was only a dog" they frowned at me,
Distressed by the look on my face;
"Only a dog with no pedigree ____
"Very easy to replace."
Yes only a dog, but my faithful friend.
In my sunshine and my rain.
He really seemed to comprehend
When I suffered grief and pain.
When I was forlorn. he'd lay by my knee,
As I recalled those bygone days.
With those soft brown eyes he'd gaze at me.
Cajoling with playful ways.
Yes, only a dog, who's gone to his rest.
Now alone, I muse in my chair,
When saying my prayers, I add a request ____
For a heaven for dogs, up there.

Charles P. Skilton

IMG_0842.JPG

61895675852__14E4C805-3A91-4EF3-89A0-1A13601E4E07.JPG

I totally "get it" now with dogs.

Max is a Doberman-GSD mix that my wife and I rescued 2 years ago. His mom was a fancy purebred GSD who got knocked up by a Doberman-GSD and the fucking humans abandoned her. She died but her litter was rescued - three brothers survived and we adopted Max.

He's the first dog I've ever raised as a puppy and the bond I have with him really surprised me. My wife brought her adult Lab over from New Zealand, who is also wonderful, but there's a much deeper connection with the pup you raise, I guess.

When I learn about people who keep old dogs, tripod dogs, who are willing to rescue dogs in need, pay hefty prices to get medical attention for dogs, or keep and help dogs that some folks would consider "inconvenient", I know I could be friends with those people who do things like that for dogs.
This guy here was my buddy for damn near 15 years.
I found out that some assholes had him locked in a crate 24/7.
I went to the house and asked to see their dog, I took him with me. ( he was about 11 months old ).
I told them to call the police if they didn't like it.
I knew he was bad off so I took him to an Orthopedic Vet.
He had a broken hip and spiral fractures on his leg.
Everyone in the office looked at me like I was the scum of the earth, until I explained the circumstances.
The surgeries were a little over 8k, I spent almost a year rehabbing him and we bonded like no other animal I've ever had.
He was a funny animal always doing something to make me laugh.

I spent a month with my mother after my brother passed, my mom was making dinner when all of a sudden I heard a ton of cussing.
I knew it was bad because my mother seldom cusses, ever.
Well she sat a chicken on a serving plate and Cisco decided it was his.
( the very first time I heard my mother drop an F bomb )
She said I sat that damn chicken down, went to get a knife and that little fucker stole my chicken, swallowed it in three gulps, sat down and fucking burped in my face.
When it was all said and done my mother was laughing her ass off.
We all needed a laugh, my brother's death changed my mother.
He seen me through the deaths of both of my brothers and an ex-wife and countless other life calamities.
The ONLY thing he ever asked in return was to be by my side.
Dc839.JPG
Dc847.JPG
DSCF0465.jpg

My wife and I say she is an emotional support dog... just she is the one who needs the love and emotional support. But yes, a good girl she is. She is slowly learning how to howl from our husky mix... kinda. Love that dog!

For those who have never heard the story of the dog named "Delta", here it is:

Delta is just one of many victims that died in and near the ancient city of Pompeii after Mt. Vesuvius erupted in 79 A.D. Her remains were found lying across the body of a young child in a courageous but hopeless attempt to save the child’s life. However, that was not Delta’s only selfless act of courage. With Delta’s remains was found a silver collar with her name engraved on it. It also stated that her owner’s name was Severinus and that she had saved his life on three separate occasions.

• The first time was when she pulled him out of the sea when he was drowning.

• Then, she fought of four attackers who had attempted to rob her master.

• Finally, she protected him from a wolf who tried to attack him near Herculaneum.

Although Delta could not save her owner from Mt. Vesuvius, Delta gave her life trying, never thinking of herself.

It's always tough to say goodby to a member of your family, you some day will find a new friend...........but will always remember the good times with the ones that are no longer with you.

I have lost three of my best friends in the last 20 years, and it has been hard to say goodby to each of them.

They are never really gone when you have them in your mind.......

T-Hoe,
That is some really tough duty. You have my sincere condolences. I have had to draw the same straw 5 times over the past 15 years, and I found it tougher than dealing with other losses.

Reactions: 4065HW
It’s crazy how they become like a family member. I have had other dogs before, but they were not like family. Something is just missing now.