• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

A friend once told me that every time you get a dog you buy into a little tragedy, laced with magic.
They don't live nearly long enough but they do live life to its fullest.

A shooting buddy and I were in Logan, New Mexico a few years ago for the Steel Safari. On one particularly stormy evening we decided to drive out to the edge of town to watch some converging thunderstorms.
We were watching the sky light up when, out of the darkness comes a coyote-running towards us.
A scream "coyote!" and at about the same time realize that it's not a coyote but a small Sheltie, and it's limping.
She passes us and runs under our SUV for protection from the lightning.
John and I try to coax her out with no success. So I tell him, all 6'6" of him , to lay down next to the car. I do the same.
Eventually Im able to sidle up to her and pet her for a while. I manage to grab her by the scruff of the neck and toss her into the SUV.
She spends the night in my hotel rooms where I feed her and try to inspect her injured paw as my GF back home looks up vet clinics in the Tucumcari area.
The next morning we stop by the Safari HQ and request a late start so that we can get the dog to a clinic.
Zack and company reluctantly agree and we set out for Tucumcari.
Over the next few days the vet determines that she had been living in a nearby cement plant. She had been abandoned there with one of her siblings, who had been subsequently been hit and killed on the highway. The locals feed her. She has fleas and is crazy dirty. She gets a flea dip, vaccinations and a good bath.... The water runs black.
John, ends up adopting her and she now lives a well-deserved, charmed life in Portland.
Here's Raya, the wonder dog.

Attachments

• 5C1F2353-13DD-4C06-A3E1-6AE52B7D0555.jpeg
    5C1F2353-13DD-4C06-A3E1-6AE52B7D0555.jpeg
    854.9 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
This Sherman, the worlds only American Pit Bagle. I got him used from a rescue agency and is the best thing I've ever done. I've only had him a little over two years, but I've had some pretty rough patches in that time and he made all the difference. He pretty much pees on stuff, eats and sheds and I wouldn't have another dog!
IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

This is moose, my best friend's pup, and the only picture I have of him. 2 weeks ago he was hit by a car while he was exploring. Due to the injuries he had to be put down, and my bud was devastated. Moose had seen him through some more tough times in the months before, and was as loyal as they come. Always wanted to give kisses, and he had a weird foot fetish, and no matter how much of a pester he might have been in the moment he was truly an amazing companion. I'll miss him, Jake damn sure will.
20180819_145858.jpg

I think I'll give it a few weeks and I'll surprise him with a pup.

Reading the stories in this thread warms my heart, and damn near make my "allergies" flare up. I think we all realize that no pup is property to us, they are family. Kids, running buddies, best friends. They dont cheat, can't lie and will unconditionally love.

A friend once told me his definition of unconditional love, " if stick your wife and dog in the trunk of your car, and come back in an hour. Who's happy to see you?"
20180825_085933.jpg
Resized_20180701_125010.jpeg

I think I'll give it a few weeks and I'll surprise him with a pup.
Stellar idea, they are the best medicine.

Maybe offer to take him out to lunch and take him to a rescue/shelter instead and let him make a connection with the "right" pup.

Reactions: TanktheFrank
Hailey our yellow came to us after we lost our golden to cancer. We are empty Nestor’s as well and the house as just unbearably quiet so our yellow came to us shortly after. Thinks she’s a lap dog in the pic?

3473F01F-2E08-448D-A128-940777412F58.jpeg

We were so bummed out after Gracie that we didn’t stop there..

CAB93160-CA72-4CD0-AB8B-3149C27B4C8E.jpeg

Anybody who hasn’t experienced a dog is truly missing out on one of the biggest favors that the big guy ever gave us and I will never likely be without a dog. The chocolate idiot savant is Max?

This is Sammy Colt, my wife and I's first dog together. She is 7 months old and toggles between most adorable thing you have every seen, and a little shit who we refer to as the Doof. Any food left out will be gone and any shoes left out will be gummed. She has a taste for fine cheese and gin, when my wife turns away from her glass.

That being said, she is the best damn retriever since her father, who is my hunting buddy's bird dog. We both live for the dove field, and I can't wait for her to try pulling a goose.

My boss is kind enough to let us bring our dogs into work every so often, and Sammy loves it. She will bring the whole bull pen to a stop when she comes in.

image-20180618_091606.jpg

AWOL identifies as a retriever!

41257880_1542347355911906_4633244134323257344_n.jpg

P.S. The back story on this is that AWOL knows that when there is a squirrel outside... and I grab my .22... he'es getting a meal. He follows me at my side... waits while I pop the squirrel. And then brings it to the house to eat on the deck. Done this for years. He doesn't like the big guns. But won't flinch when a .22 goes off and a red squirrel drops out of a tree!

Last edited:

I have expected that AWOL will disappear for ... 12 years now. I keep saying "I can get a better cat." But the little bastard keeps coming home. Most outdoor savvy cat I've ever seen!

He got pecked near-to-death by a wild turkey... pecked right throug his skull. That cost me hundreds.

He attacked a doe with fawn... because he can't do math. A 11 pound cat can't take on a 150 lb doe. I watched that one. Laughed my ass off.

Yeah... our cats can be like dogs. If they're raised right! Like dogs.

Awesome pix, my friend!

Cheers,

Sirhr

This is Millie. We found her dumped on the side of the road one night. She was starving and nearing the end. We picked her up, got her back to health, and she has made the best dog someone could ask for. Full of life and energy running and playing on our Farm.
262578_10150744952415118_409297_n.jpg

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I love these photos of people's dogs. While I enjoy looking at the dogs, it also makes me sad when people's dogs die because I know how much that hurts. I am so glad I still have one little old dog living with me.. Little Casey is a 9.6 pound terrier who hates the wild rabbits that are all over our back yard. He has one bark for the "cursed rabbits", another bark for cats or dogs who don't belong in our yard, and a really furious bark for deer or coyotes who intrude into the yard where he can see them, but cannot get to them.

If you're looking for a small dog that rolls like a large hunting dog consider a Patterdale Terrier. This little girl (18lbs) gives my Lab a run for his money in every category.

i-2SJhMM8-L.jpg

Not sure I'd want a male based on her level of hunting aggression. Amazing swimmer and tenacious retriever.

this thread sure drags up a lot of memories. I believe Mark Twain said it best "Dogs just don't live long enough"

I do not trust people who do not like dogs.
They certainly don't.
Neither do I.
Nor do I trust anyone my dogs do not. (y)

Reactions: Decoy
Little poultry drama on the walk this morning.....

i-4P8VPSM-XL.jpg

Someone spotted a stray Rooster...…. and in a split second he was on it. I lit him up with the shock collar and the Rooster took off running and hopefully survives.

Is your dogs name Freddy Mercury? Cause he was on that cock faster than a homeless person on a ham sandwich.
His name is Rev as in rpm, almost 9 and still lives up to the name. :rolleyes:

Little poultry drama on the walk this morning.....

i-4P8VPSM-XL.jpg

Someone spotted a stray Rooster...…. and in a split second he was on it. I lit him up with the shock collar and the Rooster took off running and hopefully survives.

the dogs a stud, cook a meat loaf for him

Reactions: Sieg
He's one hunt driven individual....

i-SFmXRqB-L.jpg

He has a tree issues too.

i-KnXwzhQ-XL.jpg

Feral cats in the area also create a little drama.

i-XDHbQ5w-L.jpg

Love that little hard-headed SOB.

He maintains a 65-70lb weight range and eats nearly as much as the Dane.