• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

To break from the pack a little, my best friend for the past 15 years has been a mixed female cat an exgirlfriend rescued from a no kill shelter on Long Island, NY. She moved from NY to TX with me 13 years ago and has been a great companion. She is smart, affectionate and loves to go for walks on a leash. My little girl has bucked the odds health wise more than once but she has been diagnosed with cancer in her sinus passages. Nothing can be done and our time is limited. My focus is to make sure she is the most loved and best fed critter in the world until it is time for her to rest. This sucks.
Our pets are family members, and it’s painful when we loose one. They give us so much and only ask for a little attention and love. Thoughts and prayers for you.

To break from the pack a little, my best friend for the past 15 years has been a mixed female cat an exgirlfriend rescued from a no kill shelter on Long Island, NY. She moved from NY to TX with me 13 years ago and has been a great companion. She is smart, affectionate and loves to go for walks on a leash. My little girl has bucked the odds health wise more than once but she has been diagnosed with cancer in her sinus passages. Nothing can be done and our time is limited. My focus is to make sure she is the most loved and best fed critter in the world until it is time for her to rest. This sucks.

IMG_4617.jpeg

IMG_5438.jpeg

IMG_5435.jpg

She finally got her first bird yesterday! This is a chukar in a launcher, not a wild bird. Up until now she’d been trained on homing pigeons, which fly back to their coop for later use.

Nice and solid on point (y)Great recovery shot(y)(y) Reminds me of story written by Gene Hill. He was on fire, didn't miss a bird all day, his partner asked him if he ever uses his second barrel. Hilly responded "NA that's where I keep my life savers"! Vintage Hilly:D

Reactions: DocHolliday01
Nice and solid on point (y)Great recovery shot(y)(y) Reminds me of story written by Gene Hill. He was on fire, didn't miss a bird all day, his partner asked him if he ever uses his second barrel. Hilly responded "NA that's where I keep my life savers"! Vintage Hilly:D

Very happy with her progress so far. We’ll see how she does on wild chukar next week.

One of our pups here on the farm from a litter of 7 only 1 left and heading to a new home tomorrow night... sad to see them go but 6 full grown Labradors, 1 from the Mayo Kellog line of pointing labs a big boned intact black male that will use his tool next month on my big yellow american femal pix yo come in 3 month's.

Attachments

• 20181205_212907.jpg
    20181205_212907.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 47
It is a sad night. Yesterday my stepdaughter got a German shepherd boxer mix. Cutest damn little thing. Tonight my nephew's dog mauled her to death. I want some pay back. It will not make anything better, but FUCK! ?

It is a sad night. Yesterday my stepdaughter got a German shepherd boxer mix. Cutest damn little thing. Tonight my nephew's dog mauled her to death. I want some pay back. It will not make anything better, but FUCK! ?

That sucks and very sorry it happened. Words cannot make it feel better.

Finally received the test results for my little girl and she has cancer. Because of where it is her window is closing pretty quickly. Part of taking care of critters is the inevitable kick in the gut.

View attachment 7002506

Very sorry that you must say goodbye in such a way. I lost my "Prissy" to cancer a couple years ago and it is tough. All we can do is be glad for the short time they make our days better.

My Prissy
FB_IMG_1510602457056.jpg

Roo, my 75lb Azores cattle dog & pitbull mix:
emericacommercialsm.jpg

He's the kind of dog where if you're cool with him then he's a giant teddy bear, but if you're scared he gets defensive. Probably not the smartest dog I've ever had, but might as well be because he's by far the most loyal and obedient. He's my ideal steadfast camp dog, totally invisible in the dark though. I spent a lot of time meeting adoptable dogs before I picked him, I was originally looking for specifically not (another) pitbull or brindle dog but he really clicked with me. His claim to fame is going full fur missile on a deer that missed the fence. The deer was fine, walked kinda sideways for a long time but fine. I gave him a bunch of deli meats for his enthusiasm, though to his dissatisfaction he also promptly ran out of deer shit to roll in.

Gotta love them. We have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever that is my hunting partner for now. His is almost 3 and we are finally starting to see signs he is coming around to growing up. I get a kick out of him, Hank has the most disgusted glare possible if a duck comes in and you miss. I’ve never seen anything else like it.

Then there is our mutt, Schatzie, who at 8 years old now is almost civil to people outside of her family. She was adopted by us and came from a tough family. It took a while to get her over the beating she got as a pup.

View attachment 6981904View attachment 6981905View attachment 6981906View attachment 6981907
I have a Chesapeake as well. His name is Icarus, call him Icky for short. I know that glare you are talking about. It makes it more embarrassing after a miss to look down and your hunting partner has that look on his face that says "what kind of shooting was that". Past his judgement of my shooting, he is a treasured member of the family.
Icky.jpg
Icky1.jpg

My best friend could use some prayers. He’s a golden retriever we rescued from a kill shelter 6 years ago. No solid history when we got him, but he was not young when we got him. The cold and ice this week (NE PA) has taken a toll on his hips and back leg. We see the vet tomorrow afternoon. I can only hope he has a path forward for Timmer.

I love having a dog, but this part is terrible.

My best friend could use some prayers. He’s a golden retriever we rescued from a kill shelter 6 years ago. No solid history when we got him, but he was not young when we got him. The cold and ice this week (NE PA) has taken a toll on his hips and back leg. We see the vet tomorrow afternoon. I can only hope he has a path forward for Timmer.

I love having a dog, but this part is terrible.
prayers up for Timmer, and good on you for adopting and caring for him!

we gave our first golden rimadyl, really helped his arthritis/dysplasia, but it is tough on the organs.

Reactions: jungle45
Great looking dog! He’s waiting for the green light on that cake...

He’s on rimadyl, dosaquin, and fish oil. It’s all helped. I’m just not sure it is enough any more. He’s such a gentle, laid back dog that it really pains me to see him not feeling well.

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted pics on here. I’ll have to figure that out again and get some posted.

ETA- Timmer slipped on some ice Sunday. I was on the road for work starting Monday. That’s when he started having issues. I got home late Thursday, and he looked fine. Gave me a look that said “what ever Mom says about this week is all a big lie”. We went to the vet today. Vet says all looks fine now. Music to my ears. But he put my wife through hell this week. Oh yea - and my wife got shingles this week. Talk about compounding her stress!

Last edited:
Reactions: jungle45
My two babies. Both are right at a year old and they are a handful. I sure hope they settle down as they get older. The rat terrier has had a lot of health issues including being allergic to grass. Just had allergy testing done and now have to give him injections as soon as the meds get here. Pretty sure I could have had an axmc with all the bills he has racked up lol.

Attachments

• 20180923_175557.jpg
    20180923_175557.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190112_193955.jpg
    20190112_193955.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 46
An old favorite photo. This was Rosie. Slept like a log, and snored like she was sawing them. I setup the bag and BB-gun while she napped in front of a sunny window back in 2012...

IMG_5175.JPG

In her early life, some dirtbags chained her up to a tree, and many other dogs to other trees, as an alarm system for their meth lab in the woods. When the cops busted them, she was one of the few that didn't get euthanized, due to her temperament. She ended up in a no-kill shelter.

The no-kill shelter sounds like a nice thing, but the reality is closer to a life sentence in prison if it's a non-desirable breed. She was there for over a year when we found her. She had hip problems from living on concrete. Also, it turns out that since she was in tick-heaven without meds for so long, she contracted all sorts of problems, and she was living in pain in that shelter the entire time.

Once we got her home, and checked out by our vet, and on some treatment, she slept for days. Our youngest dog gave her "puppy therapy" and taught her how to just be a dog again, and play, and walk around exploring, and nap. A quiet warm home, with comfy beds, clean water, good food, and loving companionship was something we were happy to provide. In return, she made us laugh every day, and she was a loyal family member.

We only had her a few months before the brain tumor took her, so we know she was meant to finally find a home before her clock ran out. She was a really sweet dog.

When our dog Corkie died in 2005 we were heartbroken and my wife took it really hard. Corkie was a sheepdog mix was a great pet. I tried to get her another dog and was pushing a black lab but she wasn't sure she was ready to do it again thinking she couldn't stand losing another. We've always gotten dogs from the shelter. A few weeks passed and she was still hurting when one day at the library where she works a stray dog ran in the door as a patron entered the build, ran all the way in and around behind the counter where my wife was standing and sat at her side looking up at her. He was a newfoundland lab mix.

They called animal control and they took him in and prepared him for adoption with my wife as a person of interest. I told her that's your dog and you waited so long he had to come get you! He was the best dog we ever had, we named him Lucky.

179_7953_8X10-XL.jpg
It is truly an honor when a dog picks YOU, rather than when you pick your dog. I went to look at a litter of border collie pups in their whelping pen, and one of the older pups (about 6-9 months old) from a previous litter was running in the fields with other dogs. The older pup came to see what we were doing, he looked into the whelping pen, then sat down leaning against my leg. I moved around the pen to see some of the other pups, and the older pup followed me and again sat and leaned against my leg. I was puzzled, and looked at the breeder, and she said "It looks like you didn't pick a dog, a dog picked you. I think that is your dog." He was the most wonderful dog I ever shared life with. Old age finally caught up with him at 15 years, the was 5 years ago, and I still miss him.

My 18 month old male German Shepherd weighed in at 90 pound yesterday. Still eating the same 6 cups of food per day. He is becoming a monster raised by a 30 pound Red Heeler. When he does something she thinks is wrong it looks like he is getting attacked by a rat, lol.