• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

Insult to injury this morning. Not only are we in a hotel because of the house fire, I went to set trash outside the door and our Jindo "Milo" snuck though the door. He went down the hall to the girls' room. I went after him to bring him back, didn't have a leash, figured I could just hold his collar and lead him back to my room...he went off and latched on to both my left arm and right hand. Insult to injury part deux, I didn't have a room key...luckily there was one of the housekeeping ladies there to let me use her key to get back in the room.
Milo.jpg

bite1.jpg

bite2.jpg

bite3.jpg

bite4.jpg

Jolly Roger the Pirate Dog

DNA results: 35% Chihuahua, 30% Miniature Poodle, 17% Pomeranian, 5% Pyrenean Mastiff, 2% Toy Fox Terrier, 2% English Cocker Spaniel, 2% Medium Poodle, 2% Shih Tzu, 2% Mi-Ki, 2% American Foxhound, 1% Pumi

He doesn't act anything like a Chihuahua. He thinks he's a big dog, not afraid of much anything. I guess that's the 5% Pyrenean Mastiff. Pretty good mutt.

4.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely NOT! If it happens again it will be the end of his life. He has gotten a little aggressive before when he had an eye infection and would try to snap while we put drops in his eye, but this was completely unexpected.
Boy dog, especially a young boy dog, is gonna test to see who will end up being the dominant man in the house (initially thinking/hoping it'll be him...:ROFLMAO:) My current male (little over a year old), when playing or being directed, routinely ends up with one, or more, of my digits in his mouth, doesn't bite hard (knows better, now...) but definitely tries to demonstrate dominance (letting me know he "could" :rolleyes:). He doesn't behave that way with anyone else in the family including my adult son... His predecessor tried the same thing in a different way...

Need to show him who's boss, in a loving, but firm, manner! My last two males both ended up being my best buds right up until they claimed their respective spaces in the back yard... :cry:

Just need to get them past that "teenage boy" stage; if you've raised son(s) you know what I mean!

PS: knowing that occurred when you were retrieving him from your girls' room is a pretty strong indicator... He wants to be the dominant male of his "pack"...

Last edited:
Absolutely NOT! If it happens again it will be the end of his life. He has gotten a little aggressive before when he had an eye infection and would try to snap while we put drops in his eye, but this was completely unexpected.

I'm not trying to be too hard, but that's some pretty serious dog bites. Those aren't little nips. Unless you were aggressive in your handling, that dog would be considered dangerous particularly since you mentioned having girls.

I speak with a lot of regret. I owned a dog who was a family pet and could be handled by all members of the family, from me down to my 4 year child. The dog got grouchy and nipped at my wife a few times. Then, it started nipping at the boy. We decided to sell him. A couple came over and fell in love with the dog despite the add saying adult only. We asked if they had any kids and they did. We didn't want to sell the dog to them because of his history and them having a young daughter but they insisted.

We found out that the dog went nuts on the kid and tore her up. She needed reconstructive surgery on her face and arm. We felt so bad but we warned them. If I had to do it all over again, I would put the dog down. Bad memories to be sure.

I'm not trying to be too hard, but that's some pretty serious dog bites. Those aren't little nips. Unless you were aggressive in your handling, that dog would be considered dangerous particularly since you mentioned having girls.

I speak with a lot of regret. I owned a dog who was a family pet and could be handled by all members of the family, from me down to my 4 year child. The dog got grouchy and nipped at my wife a few times. Then, it started nipping at the boy. We decided to sell him. A couple came over and fell in love with the dog despite the add saying adult only. We asked if they had any kids and they did. We didn't want to sell the dog to them because of his history and them having a young daughter but they insisted.

We found out that the dog went nuts on the kid and tore her up. She needed reconstructive surgery on her face and arm. We felt so bad but we warned them. If I had to do it all over again, I would put the dog down. Bad memories to be sure.
I wouldn't go nearly that far without knowing a whole lot more... (See my post above...) That dog's life has been disrupted every bit as much as the rest of their family with the current circumstance... I'd withhold the type of judgement you're rendering until I had a whole lot more background/context...

My daughters both said, if it happens again, we'll give him away. Nope, that's not how it works...you never let a problem dog go to another family and face the possibility of having happen exactly what you described. We have six dogs, all different breeds, including a pit; the pit is the nicest dog in the world to everyone. Being in a hotel has them all stressed out, this was unexpected, but will be dealt with quickly if anything like this happens again. None of our dogs have been abused or let to be aggressive to one another. I didn't post this for sympathy, just a PSA that weird things can happen in a weird situation.

I'm sure this is a trying and unusually difficult time for all parties. I had to keep my dog for 3 weeks with me in a hotel once while moving - they get boundaries confused easily in this environment and can get overprotective- I can almost guarantee he was being overprotective over your daughter (or so he thought) . No, its not ok, but if this is a first time especially under these circumstances you have to give your dog some slack - its not worth euthanizing over. You should get on an antibiotic for that palm bite - Augmentin is ideal antibiotic here, do topical silver or silver/honey gel too. Don't use urgent care or ER if you can avoid because they are obligated to report in most states and its just a paperwork headache you don't need.

Reactions: 101st and Cowpokey
I'm sure this is a trying and unusually difficult time for all parties. I had to keep my dog for 3 weeks with me in a hotel once while moving - they get boundaries confused easily in this environment and can get overprotective- I can almost guarantee he was being overprotective over your daughter (or so he thought) . No, its not ok, but if this is a first time especially under these circumstances you have to give your dog some slack - its not worth euthanizing over. You should get on an antibiotic for that palm bite - Augmentin is ideal antibiotic here, do topical silver or silver/honey gel too. Don't use urgent care or ER if you can avoid because they are obligated to report in most states and its just a paperwork headache you don't need.
I made a run to Walgreens after everything settled down; grabbed some peroxide and antibacterial ointment. Doused the wounds with peroxide until they stopped bubbling, then put ointment and band aids on. My hand and arm are still sore, but it's a long ways from my heart. We love the little rascal. and the other mongrels. The situation we're in surely played a huge part of this.

Cowkid2 came down to the room, cleaned up my battle wounds, and put new ointment and bandaids on...somehow I have more bandaid applied than when I cleaned up the mess this morning...but she's Doc, well really a barber, but barbers used to be considered Doctors in the olden days. :cool:
So after he got you, did he realize his mistake? If not, something to keep in mind.

Sorry for what you are dealing with. Hope EVERYTHING settles down soon for you. Sounds like everyone escaped the house fire ok, praise Jesus.

So after he got you, did he realize his mistake? If not, something to keep in mind.

Sorry for what you are dealing with. Hope EVERYTHING settles down soon for you. Sounds like everyone escaped the house fire ok, praise Jesus.
He knew immediately; when I let go of his collar and he looked at me with a sad face like he didn't understand what just happened. He's been calm since.

We're whole, daughter lost a tank full of axolotl babies (her first brood, if that's the right term?) the smoke/soot got in the tank and they were floating the next morning...she got the tank out of her room right after the fire crew left, but the water was already too contaminated. The pair of adults survived, they were in another tank right next to it, guess they're a little more resilient.

Reactions: UKDslayer
He knew immediately; when I let go of his collar and he looked at me with a sad face like he didn't understand what just happened. He's been calm since.

We're whole, daughter lost a tank full of axolotl babies (her first brood, if that's the right term?) the smoke/soot got in the tank and they were floating the next morning...she got the tank out of her room right after the fire crew left, but the water was already too contaminated. The pair of adults survived, they were in another tank right next to it, guess they're a little more resilient.
That’s a good sign.
Hopefully just lost in his surroundings.

Not sure what the fish are, but daughter is way more important. Hoping you get back to normal sooner rather then later. At least you have your peeps. Hang in there dude!

That’s a good sign.
Hopefully just lost in his surroundings.

Not sure what the fish are, but daughter is way more important. Hoping you get back to normal sooner rather then later. At least you have your peeps. Hang in there dude!
They are weird critters, Cowkid2 knows all about them, apparently they only exist in the wild in one lake in Mexico.

Not one of her's, just a picture I found on the intardwebs:
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 2.16.50 PM.png

Reactions: RG0099 and DIBBS
Cowkid2 wanted to set the record straight, since she saw that I posted a random picture of an Axolotl to show off her adult pair. She said they evolved to being water only critters, but still have legs, even though they can't survive/walk on land. They remind me of mudpuppies, not sure if those only live in the water or if they can move over land?
critters1.jpg

critters2.jpg

"Hesco." He's chasing the "spirit Jerky" now. He was a "pound dog" that I got from a GSD rescue shelter. My price of admission was buying him a new ass as he'd been hit by a car and was headed for the needle.

Not one mean bone in his body. He loved people.

RIP buddy. You are missed.

Attachments

• 1014624_232440680268688_762531140_o.jpg
    1014624_232440680268688_762531140_o.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1522227_232442250268531_288928164_n.jpg
    1522227_232442250268531_288928164_n.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 16107331_658062527706499_3822656769792892852_o.jpg
    16107331_658062527706499_3822656769792892852_o.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 45
Craigslist has me boycotted. I hardly sale or buy anything from craigslist. But i have this litter of pups so i figured what the hell
Put them on local craigslist, then a few other nearby cities. Nothing too far away. 100miles or so. All of a sudden all postings were flagged for removal. I rrad into it a bit and found that i over posted and also not in my local area.
I know i shoulda read the terms i guess. I am asking enough for them to keep the rifraf away. Guess i will get the wife to post them using her email and shit.
Anyone know of other reputable sites to post pups on? I dont mind paying for an ad.

"Hesco." He's chasing the "spirit Jerky" now. He was a "pound dog" that I got from a GSD rescue shelter. My price of admission was buying him a new ass as he'd been hit by a car and was headed for the needle.

Not one mean bone in his body. He loved people.

RIP buddy. You are missed.
RIP Hesco you will be missed, loved by all. Some say we rescue the dog but in real life they rescue us.
"The Soul of a Dog is Pure"

I've had dachshunds for decades and my wife grew up with them. My first male Albert Schaiman, named after my late wife's father during his passing, was my buddy for a long time.
FB_IMG_1424388597674.jpg
He was such a little hellion that could charm anyone. Once he became an only child I experienced behavior problems and sought him a female companion. That's how Daisy fell into my lap via craigslist add that a friend found.
99461.jpg
Not being satisfied with a dog named Daisy, I gave her the last name of Cutter. Well her and Al became inseparable fast, she straightened his ass right out, and this was the unintended but not unwelcome consequence.
102933.jpg

Though I lost Albert about 4 years ago when he died in my arms, that little dapply pup, Anabel, is still kicking with the gal that found me Daisy.
102192.jpg

So now that I'm remarried, we've been talking about finding Daisy a little boy that she can help us to love before she's gone, for a couple years now. So my wife found this little goober yesterday to put a deposit on. Name TBD. So that's how he came to be. Sorry for all the weiner pics.
10086.jpeg

I've had dachshunds for decades and my wife grew up with them. My first male Albert Schaiman, named after my late wife's father during his passing, was my buddy for a long time.View attachment 8085410 He was such a little hellion that could charm anyone. Once he became an only child I experienced behavior problems and sought him a female companion. That's how Daisy fell into my lap via craigslist add that a friend found. View attachment 8085439Not being satisfied with a dog named Daisy, I gave her the last name of Cutter. Well her and Al became inseparable fast, she straightened his ass right out, and this was the unintended but not unwelcome consequence. View attachment 8085417
Though I lost Albert about 4 years ago when he died in my arms, that little dapply pup, Anabel, is still kicking with the gal that found me Daisy. View attachment 8085421
So now that I'm remarried, we've been talking about finding Daisy a little boy that she can help us to love before she's gone, for a couple years now. So my wife found this little goober yesterday to put a deposit on. Name TBD. So that's how he came to be. Sorry for all the weiner pics.
View attachment 8085403
😍 We’re on our third pair… and looking for a girlfriend for Hans, since our female is his half-sister, way too close for pups. My son and daughter both have dauchsies as well. And… Yes, they do seem to do much better in pairs. Our first female absolutely destroyed the house when we were away until we found her Henry for companionship, then no more problems, ever. Since then we’ve always had at least two (my preference is three… 😉).

Reactions: ewoaf
😍 We’re on our third pair… and looking for a girlfriend for Hans, since our female is his half-sister, way too close for pups. My son and daughter both have dauchsies as well. And… Yes, they do seem to do much better in pairs. Our first female absolutely destroyed the house when we were away until we found her Henry for companionship, then no more problems, ever. Since then we’ve always had at least two (my preference is three… 😉).
So get this... When the wife and I were dating we planned a trip to meet up in St Augustine, where her mother said Caruso would be doing a book signing. Thinking the odds of running into a celebrity were slim I thought nothing of it.
So like I'm sure you can relate to, dachshund people see a dachshund somewhere and it's " oh look! Another dachshund." We're at the fountain of youth site fully decked out in 18th c regalia as we're both historians there for a living history event, and just coming from a photoshoot. I see this same dog for the second or third time now, but this time the guy has him propped up on a tree branch snapping pics with probably $5k with of camera. The dog clearly knew how to pose...a cute male black and tan.

I nudge the wife, " You don't think that's him do you?"
" Hey, what's your dog's name?" She asks him.
"Caruso." He replies.
Her and I simultaneously, " Caruso the celebrity dachshund?!"
"Yeah."

So he let me hold him and we did a little impromptu photo shoot with him. He no shit carries a backpack full of costumes for him all the time, mostly build a bear clothes, and sure enough had colonial garb. While talking shop and shooting the shit I'm finding out Caruso's a runt, actually a dapple, is Canadian, and I'm showing him my pics of Daisy and the late Albert... Sure enough within a few months came along Daphne, the spitting image of a young Daisy. So I'm calling it, Daisy Cutter, the inspiration for Daphne.

• Love
Reactions: plong
I imagine he was very stressed, on both occasions. Careful with him. He's an impulsive one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowpokey
I'm pretty much healed up, some pink around the two worst bite marks. Squeezed a little bit of puss out of the one on my left fore arm earlier, the redness is almost gone...should be 100% by the weekend.

I'm leaving it up to the wife as she's never had a baby critter, only adopted. All my dogs must have last names. Additionally, since it's a dachshund it needs to be a German name, and while I'm at it, it'll probably end up being historical since we're both historians.

Yesterday, I made a new tag for Soldier on my little desktop CNC router/laser engraver. The other side says
'I am A.W.O.L. Please call my commanding officer at ***-***-****'

Here's my boy as of this morning---he's tripled in size since I brought him home on 12/23/2022. To see the size difference, go to post 1944 in this thread

Attachments

• Soldier tag.jpg
    Soldier tag.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Soldier 3.2.2023.jpg
    Soldier 3.2.2023.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Yesterday, I made a new tag for Soldier on my little desktop CNC router/laser engraver. The other side says
'I am A.W.O.L. Please call my commanding officer at ***-***-****'

Here's my boy as of this morning---he's tripled in size since I brought him home on 12/23/2022. To see the size difference, go to post 1944 in this thread
You need to market those on Etsy stat!