• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

Let’s get this thread back on track! Nice sunny Sunday keeping an eye on the archery targets and the bees 🐝
D133F608-D0AF-4772-842F-CE5E39A39503.jpeg

IMG_0379.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

Looks like I am going to have to put my guy down next week. The cancer is getting bad enough he can't get around anymore. Old pictures. Good memories, its both a blessing and curse they don't live as long as us.

Its the same spot but the pictures were not taken at the same time. I think the only spot he liked more was laying by my feet in the bed.

View attachment 7919043View attachment 7919046

Looks like I am going to have to put my guy down next week. The cancer is getting bad enough he can't get around anymore. Old pictures. Good memories, its both a blessing and curse they don't live as long as us.

Its the same spot but the pictures were not taken at the same time. I think the only spot he liked more was laying by my feet in the bed.
Give him a hug for me please.

Give him a hug for me please.
Thanks for the help getting him back up and running for several more months. He did pretty well for a while, but it was a sarcoma that sent fingers all over, and the next tumor popped up right on his spine.

ITs been 10 years since we got him for the pound this summer. Probably make another trip there next summer break.

• Sad
Reactions: UKDslayer
My GSD, Krieger. He was still a pup here, 6 months old or so. My wife sent me this picture after I had left for work. She had stripped the cushion covers off of the couch to wash them... He was hating life because he couldn't go to work with me. So he hopped up on my spot on the couch and flopped down to pout.

Mike
IMG_20201220_203604647.jpg

Just lost my best friend Monday... It was devastating. Month ago he was fine, then a cough demanded a vet visit... Found out he had metastatic pancreatic cancer and boy it was moving fast.

Got three weeks with him before I had to put him down.

Most kind and beautiful creature I've ever known. The cat below? Yeah, that's HIS cat... They were very close, she's still looking for him. So intelligent I can't even recall all the different commands he knew, he just seemed to pick 'em up on the fly. Llewellyn's Setter:

View attachment 7878566

View attachment 7878567
Sorry for your loss my friend. Remember all the good times.

This is Raya.
A buddy and I rescued her from a rough life at a cement plant outside of Logan NM back in 2015, on the second day of the Steel Safari. We were out of town about 2 miles to watching on hell of a NM monsoon lightning storm. She ran up to us and then under our suv, frightened by the lightning. We we able to wrangle her into the suv and took her back to our hotel. That's where I discovered that she was missing her right front paw...likely due to trauma.
The next morning we requested that our start times be pushed back and took her to a vet hospital into Tucumcari to see if she was chipped. She wasn't.
It turns out that she and a litter mate were dumped outside of town at this cement plant. The townspeople were feeding them table scraps. The litter mate was eventually killed by a semi.
My buddy adopted her and flew her back to Portland when she lives her best life.
When we've been back to shoot the Steel Safari we hit the local Tractor Supply and restock the vet hospital with several thousand dollars worth of pet food and cat litter
4D1E6B8D-909C-4852-91AA-7A41633591F7.jpeg
BB0F50E5-0B30-40AF-8A9D-863F8E761176.jpeg
C460A4EB-765B-45A8-AAE1-636368BEC08B.jpeg

My heeler mix, Aster, getting schooled by a desert survival expert.

Last edited:
View attachment 7919043View attachment 7919046

Sorry bud, I'm going to have to put my girl down today. She's been with me longer than my wife. Going on 17 years. Her quality of life is just not good at this point and we've held off as long as she seemed to have happy times and would eat and could get around reasonably. Going to be really rough. She's the sweetest dog I've ever seen.

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_081657~2.jpg
    IMG_20160205_081657~2.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 34
Sorry bud, I'm going to have to put my girl down today. She's been with me longer than my wife. Going on 17 years. Her quality of life is just not good at this point and we've held off as long as she seemed to have happy times and would eat and could get around reasonably. Going to be really rough. She's the sweetest dog I've ever seen.
Very sorry. Mungo left us on Tuesday, we pretty much had the same criteria. We actually dug his grave 3 weeks ago thinking he was done, as he had stopped eating and could barley stand up that week end. Then Monday rolls around, I give him his pills he hops up, and trots outside to pee, eats his food and does OK for another 3 weeks.

I was talking to the vets daughter while we were there. She said her dad didn't give her enough warning on what they were doing. She says, "my dad really takes these hard." "I was wondering why he had spent so much time in the bathroom this morning." They are animal people, the doc is an old school cowboy. Which I have a great deal of respect for. I remember when I was little and he was young. He would clean house in the calf roping and steer wrestling. He would always show up with rickety old pickup and trailer, and kick ass. Not everyone understands how much an animal can become part of the family over a decades time period. They do.

Its also bitter sweet to know we gave it good run, worked hard, and did everything we could. I hope one of our rewards in heaven is to get our dogs back.

RIP buddy

IMG_0011.JPG

Kimber waiting patiently for Dad to catch something.View attachment 7919185View attachment 7919186
Our lab back when I was in high school would stand on shore and just stare in the water when we were fishing. Well when she wasn't out finding dead fish to roll in. :ROFLMAO: She brought us a duck on time, and goose another time. Both still alive and uninjured.

Reactions: 260284
Very sorry. Mungo left us on Tuesday, we pretty much had the same criteria. We actually dug his grave 3 weeks ago thinking he was done, as he had stopped eating and could barley stand up that week end. Then Monday rolls around, I give him his pills he hops up, and trots outside to pee, eats his food and does OK for another 3 weeks.

I was talking to the vets daughter while we were there. She said her dad didn't give her enough warning on what they were doing. She says, "my dad really takes these hard." "I was wondering why he had spent so much time in the bathroom this morning." They are animal people, the doc is an old school cowboy. Which I have a great deal of respect for. I remember when I was little and he was young. He would clean house in the calf roping and steer wrestling. He would always show up with rickety old pickup and trailer, and kick ass. Not everyone understands how much an animal can become part of the family over a decades time period. They do.

Its also bitter sweet to know we gave it good run, worked hard, and did everything we could. I hope one of our rewards in heaven is to get our dogs back.

RIP buddy

View attachment 7922701
That's the exact same scenario. I actually took her to the vet about 5 weeks ago, because my kids were gone and she wasn't eating and wouldn't get up, but she perked up at the vets office and we gave her some pills and she did a good bit better for several weeks. Her organs are failing though and she's obviously very old for any dog, but I just couldn't do it with her moving around and smelling stuff and all. It's so hard to know when, unless they just won't get out of their bed for days or something. I don't want her to get to the point that she just suffers though, and she can't get around anymore.

That's the exact same scenario. I actually took her to the vet about 5 weeks ago, because my kids were gone and she wasn't eating and wouldn't get up, but she perked up at the vets office and we gave her some pills and she did a good bit better for several weeks. Her organs are failing though and she's obviously very old for any dog, but I just couldn't do it with her moving around and smelling stuff and all. It's so hard to know when, unless they just won't get out of their bed for days or something. I don't want her to get to the point that she just suffers though, and she can't get around anymore.
He had been on the medication for a while. It really has been a long road with lots of work and things I didn't want to do. ITs tough watching cancer eat away a healthy dog just past his physical prime. We lost dogs at 3yrs and 5yrs the same way, and this one feels the toughest. It was the first one we were actually able to do something before it was too late also. So maybe its just the feeling of losing twice. Thinking we could beat it and that he was going to be OK, then the next tumors popping up to thwart us.

As the vet said to me the other morning. "We are just never really ready to let them go."

No matter how old or young there is void left when they are gone that will never be filled. We just get used to their absence.

I believe dogs are gifts from God to us. I love my dogs so much. When my Akita gets to his time I'm going to lose my shit for real, but my little girl has been a part of my life for so long, it's going to be awful and I will cry like a baby. Just like you said, I really do hope that we get our dogs back in heaven. There is some Biblical reasons to think that's a real possibility.

Our last dog was having difficulty getting around and always was freaked out by going to the vet. So when the time came, we had a vet come to the house. It was a great move for him and us. He was relaxed and therefore we could be relaxed. It’s really worth considering if you’re facing that time.

we still miss him a year later.

I showed a picture of my GSD Krieger... But I left out his little sister Freya... We got her at 12 weeks old and she's coming up on 5 months now. She is literally his little sister... Same parents.

And a picture or two of both of them together. With both of them we rarely have a moment's peace. But when one of them lays down next to you and puts their head on your leg... All is right with the world.

Mike

Attachments

• 8537~2.jpeg
    8537~2.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 8534~2.jpeg
    8534~2.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 8535~2.jpeg
    8535~2.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 44
My best friend for the past 14 years passed away in his sleep last night. 14 years wasn't long enough.

Hades helped me keep my shit together during the divorce. He was always there for me when I came home from a bad day at work. He liked to lay on my office floor and watch me while I work after I started telecommuting. His favorite thing to do was go for rides in the pickup truck, but over the past year, he's been having trouble jumping in and I'd have to help--I'm no spring chicken, and he didn't get as many rides as he used to.

He had been slowing down a lot over the past year, and lately, I noticing his legs trembling when he'd get up from his naps--but he'd always recover quickly and he wanted to do anything at all to please me and be with me. If I went outside, he'd go outside. If I was wrenching on a car or motorcycle, he'd be laying in the shade, just watching me work. When I went for walks around the property, he was always within 3 feet of me--never needed to be leashed, just being a good companion and always on the lookout for snakes.

My gf's granddaughter came over yesterday and he played like he was a puppy again while the 2 y/o sprayed him with the hose. I wish I had taken pictures.

He had a wonderful habit of making the rounds to visit everyone in the house before he went to bed. He got his evening snuggles from everyone in the family and laid down in his kennel around 10 pm last night.....he slept peacefully with the people he loved close by, and he never woke up.

Hades did his job well--he was my friend, my protector, my anchor. He was with me when my wife left. He was with me when my daughter left for college and started living her own life. He was my reason to come home instead of staying out all weekend drinking--or just driving off into the sunset.

He made the house not quite so lonely during the 3 years I was by myself after my life came apart at the seams.

Hades helped me choose my girlfriend--he immediately liked her and that was all it took for me to let down my guard and really let her in. His intuition was right--she's the best person I've ever known.

In 14 years, he never gave me a reason to be angry at him--he didn't chew, didn't roam, and took to his role of protecting the house very seriously. Hades took to his training unbelievably fast--because he wanted to please me. I have never had a smarter dog.

I just buried him at the edge of the pasture under a tree that he liked to lay under......I hope I was as good to him as he was to me.

If you have a dog, give him/her some love. It all comes to an end too soon.

Hades 2008-2022

Attachments

• Snow stuff 001.JPG
    Snow stuff 001.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Hades.JPG
    Hades.JPG
    540.4 KB · Views: 51
My best friend for the past 14 years passed away in his sleep last night. 14 years wasn't long enough.

Hades helped me keep my shit together during the divorce. He was always there for me when I came home from a bad day at work. He liked to lay on my office floor and watch me while I work after I started telecommuting. His favorite thing to do was go for rides in the pickup truck, but over the past year, he's been having trouble jumping in and I'd have to help--I'm no spring chicken, and he didn't get as many rides as he used to.

He had been slowing down a lot over the past year, and lately, I noticing his legs trembling when he'd get up from his naps--but he'd always recover quickly and he wanted to do anything at all to please me and be with me. If I went outside, he'd go outside. If I was wrenching on a car or motorcycle, he'd be laying in the shade, just watching me work. When I went for walks around the property, he was always within 3 feet of me--never needed to be leashed, just being a good companion and always on the lookout for snakes.

My gf's granddaughter came over yesterday and he played like he was a puppy again while the 2 y/o sprayed him with the hose. I wish I had taken pictures.

He had a wonderful habit of making the rounds to visit everyone in the house before he went to bed. He got his evening snuggles from everyone in the family and laid down in his kennel around 10 pm last night.....he slept peacefully with the people he loved close by, and he never woke up.

Hades did his job well--he was my friend, my protector, my anchor. He was with me when my wife left. He was with me when my daughter left for college and started living her own life. He was my reason to come home instead of staying out all weekend drinking--or just driving off into the sunset.

He made the house not quite so lonely during the 3 years I was by myself after my life came apart at the seams.

Hades helped me choose my girlfriend--he immediately liked her and that was all it took for me to let down my guard and really let her in. His intuition was right--she's the best person I've ever known.

In 14 years, he never gave me a reason to be angry at him--he didn't chew, didn't roam, and took to his role of protecting the house very seriously. Hades took to his training unbelievably fast--because he wanted to please me. I have never had a smarter dog.

I just buried him at the edge of the pasture under a tree that he liked to lay under......I hope I was as good to him as he was to me.

If you have a dog, give him/her some love. It all comes to an end too soon.

Hades 2008-2022
Sounds to me like U were the master Hades thought U were.

If I can ask, where did you get the bluetick? I love those dogs.
It’s a German shorthair pointer!

Ricochet kennels in north port Florida. Becky Jacobs is the breeder. Her dogs when she actually has some are amazing. She’s a true to the breed breeder so she seems to only have a litter every couple of years.

It’s a German shorthair pointer!

Ricochet kennels in north port Florida. Becky Jacobs is the breeder. Her dogs when she actually has some are amazing. She’s a true to the breed breeder so she seems to only have a litter every couple of years.
Dude that thing looks like a bluetick from the back. Oh well, good looking pup.

This is my youngest daughter with our first Golden Layla. She was the canine guardian for all 3 of my kids. She absolutely had to be outside where she could watch the kids when they were playing. She died 12 years ago and my youngest daughter wears a pendant with her ashes inside of it to this day.

View attachment 6940981
That could be a pic of my daughter and our old dog.
Ha, Dora the explorer shoes. V had a set also.
The two almost look identical.
Hazel, the dog was a nova Scotia duck tolle. Just the nicest protective dog for kids anywhere.