• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Many have Spoken, Few have Done....

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    While many of you (myself included) have spoken out about one thing or another, very few ACTUALLY do "it". This here is one thing in particular, that caught my interest some months ago.

American Decadence, <span style="font-size: 8pt">by SwithcBlade</span>

When I first saw this, it was with pork sausage meat. That, together with the bacon, was just too much for us. But just the other day, he brings out the tenderloin. Just happened to have a couple in the freezer. And we just happened to pick up another box of bacon the other day. So, without further ado, here it is so far:

The Rub:

VariousPics022.jpg

The Weave:

VariousPics021.jpg

And the Wrap:

(In holding all the bacon together, grabbing the camera with gooey hands was the last thing I was thinking of. So here it is after the TinFoil Wrap)

VariousPics024.jpg

Obviously, we're depriving some individuals of their hats. Oh Well!

I'll put up a pic or two, after it's unwrapped. This for sure is one of those "duhhhhh" moments though. Why hadn't I/we thought of the tenderloin, or anything else for that matter, earlier?

Re: Many have Spoken, Few have Done....

I like this combo much better.

Bacon on Pork is a little much for me as well. Especially since I rarely to never eat either.

I would consider the non-pork meat wrapped with bacon. Let us know how it turns out.

So after an hour, I went to check this out. It was all ok, but still a bit hot. (350*)

VariousPics025.jpg

So I turned one side off (both were on Bull-Low to begin with) and slid the wonderment over. Mistake. Something somewhere poked a small hole in the foil. Then the grease started to drip, and drip, and drip. And the flames started to get bigger and bigger and bigger.

SUGGESTION: Don't be cheap with the hat material. Wrap it with a good couple of layers.

So here it is, over the burner that is still on. The intent is, to get the whole 'Que to come down in temp:

VariousPics027.jpg

And all the while, since this morning at around 9:00am, we have been drying Jerky.

VariousPics028.jpg

Things are looking great!

Sean, looks good man!

I did a Pork tenderloin, wrapped similarly, today as well. Just finished it in fact! I used the same rub I've been using for years and after 2.5 hours, wrapped, using indirect heat on the grill(in the 300 degree range), it was phenomenal!

Even my wife, who was somewhat hostile to the idea of a whole package of bacon swaddling a 2 lb tenderloin, admitted it was quite good.

I also rubbed and slow cooked a quartered chicken just in case I had a mutiny!

No worries, they all liked liked it!

Thanks again Switchblade for a great idea!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 20pt">BAM!</span></span>

I can hardly wait for dinner to be ready!

(insert Howard Cosell Play-by-Play voice here)

And now, after 3 hours of grilling at around 270*, we have opened it up. To get that "Browning" effect.

VariousPics.jpg

How's yer baloney sandwich now, eh Pilgrim? Another half an hour, and this is coming off the grill. Tent for 5 minutes, then slice/shred/mix.

Hadn't quite planned on dinner at 8:30pm, so keep this timing on your plan, too. And if I wasn't clear earlier, it IS Pork tenderloin. Don't have any moose handy, but the season's coming.

Ok, so here it is 30 minutes later:

VariousPics029.jpg

Then we brought it in, and Tented it for 5 minutes:

VariousPics030.jpg

Here's a shot of "The 'Under'" for all to see:

VariousPics032.jpg

Then it was sliced up, pulled apart, then mixed together:

VariousPics033.jpg

Yeah, we enjoyed it. And will for some days yet. How was YOUR dinner?? Seriously, homage to both Switch and RJW for starting this.

That looks outstanding. A view of me through the screen...
    drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Ya did real good on this one. Looks great and I am sure it tasted even better

Nice work Sean! That would have looked killer sliced too. My youngest son is already wondering when the next one will be, but I think it may have to wait for a 9 pound loss first. Someone got fat eating a little too well over the last few days
    grin.gif

Switch, RJW, and all. Thanks for the compliments. This has been fun doing things "on the next level". Yes, I'm talking about this, as well as a number of your other recipes. Both here, and elsewhere.

As to the "eating too well lately,,,," I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about. hahaha

The jerky is almost done. First round here (after a few taste tests) is positive, but not quite there yet. No complaints at all, just have some finessing to do.

Back to the pool. My Lady and I were joking about this meal. We agreed that we'd only cook it about once a year. Only on even numbered years, at that! HA!

This stuff is dangerous, believe me. Time for me to get into my other hobby. "Hands-On-Self-Taught-Bomb-DeFusing-Correspondence-Course". It seems to be safer. Anyone else wanna enroll?

Double HA!

By the way, I did slice it, but in doing so it just kept falling apart. So, to keep the textures consistent (ask my Lady...) I just shredded it. The flavor really is phenomenal. I let the rub sit on the meat for an hour, before wrapping. My Lady asked me to let it sit overnight next time. AAAAHHHH,,, Progress is Fantastic.

I'd have to say about 10-15 minutes. Once you figure out the spacing, it's pretty fast. The key is though, to figure out how large of a "sheet" you need versus the length of your bacon strips. This is because you have to stagger the starts of the strips to form one sheet.

Otherwise, it'll fall apart easier, when you actually go to wrap your center.