• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March 1.5-15x42 inquiry

RHutch

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 23, 2005
    Frisco, TX
    Search didn’t find any discussion newer that a year ago.
    Has anyone here used this scope extensively and able to give a solid review? Looking at the FD-2 reticle.

Considering it for a lightweight hunting rifle project. While SFP isn’t my first choice, the rest of the features on this scope check all my boxes. I can slum SFP on this project.

Reactions: Bravo6
    I can say, it's a very nice, bright and clear scope. I would own several if it was FFP. I love the illumination, its operation is solid. The clicks are solid too.

I haven't decided if I am keeping mine, I found I like the Nx8 2.5-20 especially with the Mil-xt reticle and might be selling mine to find that scope.

The March would be a home run if it was a FFP

Reactions: Bravo6 and Denys
    My coyote rifle has one on it right now. I only got to make a two hunts with it last February so not much real experience but I am in same line of thinking as Travis24 above. Nice clean scope with nice clicks. Glass is quite good although it seemed the edges were not as sharp as the center of the scope.

I can say, it's a very nice, bright and clear scope. I would own several if it was FFP. I love the illumination, its operation is solid. The clicks are solid too.

I haven't decided if I am keeping mine, I found I like the Nx8 2.5-20 especially with the Mil-xt reticle and might be selling mine to find that scope.

The March would be a home run if it was a FFP
    I would suggest you contact March and tell them what you just said here. Tell them you think an FFP version of this design would be a good idea. You can leave a message at their website under About Us -> Contact Us. They do respond fairly quickly.

The March 1.5-15X42 is a new design. Like all other March scopes with an objective lens greater than 24mm it has ED glass. The objective lens group is part of that new design, and you will notice the slight heft in that part of the scope. There's some "magic" going on in there to be able to use a 42mm objective in a 1.5X scope.

I would suggest you contact March and tell them what you just said here. Tell them you think an FFP version of this design would be a good idea. You can leave a message at their website under About Us -> Contact Us. They do respond fairly quickly.

The March 1.5-15X42 is a new design. Like all other March scopes with an objective lens greater than 24mm it has ED glass. The objective lens group is part of that new design, and you will notice the slight heft in that part of the scope. There's some "magic" going on in there to be able to use a 42mm objective in a 1.5X scope.

I think the magic is in keeping the scope that short, with a 42mm objective and 10x erector ratio. There have been plenty of 42mm designs that go down to 1.5x.

I do agree with the OP that a FFP version of the 1.5-15x42 would be extremely appealing.

ILya

@Denys or @koshkin
    Any idea why they have the reticle subtend correctly at 10 power? I could almost live with SFP in this scope if the reticle was “right” at 15 power. Is that just a byproduct of this new design or…?

Not many more reviews or threads because there's not much more to say about the scope. It excels at being short and light, but being so short has it's compromises. I believe the question on why March set the SFP alignment at 10x was already answer by Denys in another thread, I'm thinking he said it had something to do with one of the NRA competitions but can't remember for certain right now; however, I agree with you, I'd prefer it to be set at 15x so you don't have to visually verify if you're actually on 10x. Of course, a FFP model would solve this, but I have not seen a 10x erector in anything but an LPVO to date so that would be a big hurdle to overcome. The IQ on this scope does fall off above 10x, but I think you're going to get that with almost any scope with a huge magnification range, even the venerable Schmidt 3-27x56 (with 9x erector) struggles in this area.

@Denys or @koshkin
    Any idea why they have the reticle subtend correctly at 10 power? I could almost live with SFP in this scope if the reticle was “right” at 15 power. Is that just a byproduct of this new design or…?
    I believe, and I'm happy to be corrected, that this is because it uses reticles that already exist and were based on 10X. Indeed, the reticle in my March 1.5-15X42 is the MTR-5 which is the same one I have in my March-X 10-60X56 HM.

The NRA thing that @Glassaholic mentions is with respect to the maximum magnification allows in a specific NRA competition. I do not believe this scope was designed for that purpose, but rather it is a happy coincidence that 15X is the maximum magnification in this discipline, which also has a strict weight limit so this scope is perfect for it.

And if you want FFP in this scope, contact Deon and let them know.

Thanks for all the information. I’ll be moving on to something else, not compromising on the FFP angle.

And if you want FFP in this scope, contact Deon and let them know.
    Did just that today and already received this response;

Thank you for your interest in our scopes and for your opinion. Actually we have received many similar requests, so we are positively considering the possibility of the development. We will post on our website when we have news to share”.

Thank you for your interest in our scopes and for your opinion. Actually we have received many similar requests, so we are positively considering the possibility of the development. We will post on our website when we have news to share”.
    Well done, BTW. I also contacted them yesterday and received a similar response this morning. This is great news and id history is any indicator, I would check their website every once in a while.

How does the March 1.5-15 compare with the Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3? Has anyone compared the glass?

Just ordered the FD-2 version, excited to use it for hunting and long range target shooting

They officially announced an ffp this morning :)

They officially announced an ffp this morning :)
    This is great news, I think this is the first MPVO with 10x erector in FFP

Announcement of a new model “1.5-15×42 FFP for 2023” with the new Shuriken shaped lockable turrets!​

Posted 11/22/2022

March Scopes were unleashed 16 years ago by Deon Optical Design Corporation (manufacturer of March Scopes) in Japan with the goal of bringing new, innovative designs and concepts in riflescopes to the shooting world. We pride ourselves in being a small custom manufacturer of hand-made riflescopes, and we have worked hard to earn the customers’ trusts in our products. Though we are not a mass manufacturer, we try to develop new models almost every year. We are planning to launch a few exciting models for 2023 and we are happy to announce that one of them is 1.5-15×42 FFP scope with the new “Shuriken lock” turrets. “Shuriken” is a star shaped throwing knife used by Ninja. The new turrets are shuriken shaped lockable elevation and windage turrets. Red is locked, White is unlocked. For shooters with color-vision deficiency, it is hard to tell the difference between red and blue or green. As it is easier to tell the difference between red and white, we have decided the color of the Shuriken lock.

Light weight and compact 1.5-15×42 SFP scope equally ideal for hunting and for precision semi-auto platforms was developed listening to avid hunters in Japan in 2020. 42mm objective lens produces excellent low light performance in a compact form factor, while 1.5x low end magnification makes for fast target acquisition. The 1.5-15×42 SFP scope became very popular after its launch and soon afterwards we received many requests from shooters all over the world that we should develop the 1.5-15×42 scope in FFP. As there were multiple requests, we have decided to develop the 1.5-15×42 FFP scope and we are pleased to announce that we will be launching this scope in January 2023. A dual reticle (best of both FFP and SFP reticles) can be assembled in this scope as well. We believe that this is a scope we developed together with shooters from all over the world. We will provide more details as the release date approaches. Thank you for your continued support!

1669128623706.png

1669128634781.png

March is about to reap the reward of listening to customers asking for a serious MPVO for years. If done right as I expect, the niche is huge. 5.56 SPR's , SR25/AR10 , Compact tactical bolt guns , and hunting rigs. So much potential. 😎

I feel retarded when I get on March's website. Is the Spec sheet for the 1.5-15 FFP the same as the 1.5-15 SFP?

1669132200295.png

Interested to see their take on a dual focal plane reticle.

I feel retarded when I get on March's website. Is the Spec sheet for the 1.5-15 FFP the same as the 1.5-15 SFP?

View attachment 8004640

Interested to see their take on a dual focal plane reticle.
    Those are specs for SFP. FFP is a 34mm tube, I do not think they have all the specs out yet for the FFP

This is great news, I think this is the first MPVO with 10x erector in FFP

Announcement of a new model “1.5-15×42 FFP for 2023” with the new Shuriken shaped lockable turrets!​

Posted 11/22/2022

March Scopes were unleashed 16 years ago by Deon Optical Design Corporation (manufacturer of March Scopes) in Japan with the goal of bringing new, innovative designs and concepts in riflescopes to the shooting world. We pride ourselves in being a small custom manufacturer of hand-made riflescopes, and we have worked hard to earn the customers’ trusts in our products. Though we are not a mass manufacturer, we try to develop new models almost every year. We are planning to launch a few exciting models for 2023 and we are happy to announce that one of them is 1.5-15×42 FFP scope with the new “Shuriken lock” turrets. “Shuriken” is a star shaped throwing knife used by Ninja. The new turrets are shuriken shaped lockable elevation and windage turrets. Red is locked, White is unlocked. For shooters with color-vision deficiency, it is hard to tell the difference between red and blue or green. As it is easier to tell the difference between red and white, we have decided the color of the Shuriken lock.

Light weight and compact 1.5-15×42 SFP scope equally ideal for hunting and for precision semi-auto platforms was developed listening to avid hunters in Japan in 2020. 42mm objective lens produces excellent low light performance in a compact form factor, while 1.5x low end magnification makes for fast target acquisition. The 1.5-15×42 SFP scope became very popular after its launch and soon afterwards we received many requests from shooters all over the world that we should develop the 1.5-15×42 scope in FFP. As there were multiple requests, we have decided to develop the 1.5-15×42 FFP scope and we are pleased to announce that we will be launching this scope in January 2023. A dual reticle (best of both FFP and SFP reticles) can be assembled in this scope as well. We believe that this is a scope we developed together with shooters from all over the world. We will provide more details as the release date approaches. Thank you for your continued support!

View attachment 8004557
    View attachment 8004558
    Oh shit.

I had a prototype of this scope in hand to test earlier this year. It is exactly the same as the SFP version in length. but since the main tube is 34mm as opposed to 30mm, it's a little heavier by a few ounces. I mounted the prototype on an AR to get a feel for it and it was great. The prototype had a sample FFP reticle, just for testing the concept. The Dual Reticle is a concept that DEON first used in their 1-10X24 and now they seem to be expanding the use of that technology. I really like the DR in the 1-20X24, I look forward to seeing it in the 1.5-15X42 FFP.

The Shuriken locks are really neat, positive and unobtrusive.

How bright is the illumination on the SFP version? Any other optics (RDO or magnified) to compare it to?

And the pure FFP is here:

Please note that you can click on the pictures of the reticles and get much more details about them.

For those who were wondering, the dot in the TR2 (dual reticle) is in the SFP and is daylight bright. This is similar to the setup in the dual reticle March 1-10X24 Shorty.

Reactions: Bakwa
    ~24oz, 10.6” long, 15x zoom at the top with dual focal plane reticle, and $3150? What’s the catch…

Reactions: Bakwa
    Availability? That seems to be the catch with March, or.....I don't know where to look!

Yep, but across the board, they do seem a little more difficult to find than most other brands- but, once again, just may not know where to look.

Availability? That seems to be the catch with March, or.....I don't know where to look!
    All March scopes are hand-built to order in Japan at the DEON factory. The announcement says they will start taking orders in mid-January and it takes about 3 months from time of order. If you consider that a catch, then so be it.

I will also point out that all March scopes have ED glass (not HD glass), except for the 24mm LPVOs and a few very high magnification models that have Super ED lenses. The 1.5-15X42 has ED glass.

I'm sure there will be places to get on a waiting list. Check the usual suspects: Moutic Outdoors, Long Range Supply, Euro Optics, etc...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bart
    Oh! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE march scopes, and will be getting one or two of these, just managing (my) expectations!!
    Super appreciate them on many levels, money and time are the barriers for me, is all I am saying....

Reactions: Denys