• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MARCH 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-size: 20pt">NEW SHOOTERS WELCOME!!!</span></span>

It doesn't cost anything, for fun and bragging rights, and we share beneficial information learned each month.

RULES: SH RIMFIRE 100 TO 300 YARD COMPETITION RULES - Check out the "Support Side" matches

PRINTABLE TARGETS - SH LONG RANGE RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

PREVIOUS MATCH SCORES:

FEBRUARY 2011 SCORES

JANUARY 2011 SCORES

2010 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

2009 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITION SCORES

learnings from rimfire comp thread

Re: MARCH 2011 SH 100 TO 300 YARD RIMFIRE COMPETITIONS

Name: Erik.300Ultra
Class: S
Rifle: Remington 40X
Caliber: .22LR
Ammo: Wolf Match Extra
Match: 200YP-A21
Score: 235-8x

3-4-11200yA-21.jpg

Name: Erik.300Ultra
Ammo: Wolf Match Extra
Match: 100YP-TQ-4
Score: 246-16x

3-4-11100yTQ-4.jpg

And a close up with a second TQ-4 underneath for clarification.

3-4-11100yTQ-4close.jpg

100 YARD

38 DEG F, 70 hum, 7-12 mph wind 9:00 cloudy / fog.

NAME: TOP PREDATOR
Class: (S)
RIFLE: SAVAGE MKII BV
CALIBER: .22LR
AMMO: AGUILA G. EAGLE RIFLE MATCH
MATCH: 100YP-TQ4
SCORE: 240 - 3X

MATCH: 100YP-25RD
SCORE: 20 OF 25 - 3X

march2011100yd.jpg

200 YARD

40 DEG F, 5-10 MPH 9:00 wind, 70% hum, cloudy / fog.

MATCH: 200YP-A21
SCORE: 225 - 2X

MATCH: 200YP-5RD
SCORE: 10 OF 25 - 2X

march2011200yd.jpg

after last month's and this month's "shotgun pattern" groups, it's time to clean the barrel, and only aobut 500 rounds of the aguila to go before i go to Wolf...i feel better now that i whined again.
cry.gif

Top Predator, I score your 100YP-25RD, 20 hits out of 25. The hit at 8:30 is a clear line cutter and would have "pinged" the steel,IMO.
Berga

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top Predator, I score your 100YP-25RD, 20 hits out of 25. The hit at 8:30 is a clear line cutter and would have "pinged" the steel,IMO.
Berga</div></div>
+1 "PING" for sure.

I went out on 3/7 with the last of my RWS Target Rifle
This ammo gave single digit SD's through the chrony but never shot that great on paper.
I fired three rounds,243-9X,244-10X and 246-12X. My arm was tired and my hand was worked. I was pissed because I know some of the points lost was not me but the ammo.
Today I had a "window" and the wind was calm. I rushed out to the range and setup.
Shooting my favorite SM340. I ran a couple patches and fired some sighters. I then got in the zone and shot my best score so far. So stoked !!!

Name:Berga
Match:100YP TQ4 Slinging it
Rifle:Anschutz 64
Ammo:Fiocchi SM340
Score:249-16X (I think)
Any help scoring this is welcome. I put another TQ4 under the target for clarity.
Shot number 19 went into the nine ring.My fault...dropped my arm before the shot broke.
[img:center]
Marchscore100YP002.jpg
[/img] [img:center]
Marchscore100YP001.jpg
[/img]

I agree with the posted score. I count nine that weren't touching the X space. 249-16x

Fine shooting you did there, especially considering you shoot with a sling only.

Admirable to say the least.

-Dylan

Thanks guys, I never thought I would stick with the sling when I first took it up....but like whisky you learn to like it and also just like whisky I don't like it all the time.
Berga

Name:Berga
Match:200YP A-21 Chronic sling shooter
Ammo: Fiocchi SM340
Score:245-6X

I almost left the range without firing a shot. The wind was building and it was only 8:00 am. I thought might as well "chase the spotter" AKA shoot where the wind was on the last shot.
My 200YP goals for this month...No 8's and try to get in the 240's that is all and after tweaking my position last month, Iam feeling solid, so why not.
I moved my turrets several times throughout the string.
wind died-L .75
Wind in face-D .5
wind crossing from 2:00- R .75
and so on... [img:center]
March200YP.jpg
[/img] [img:center]The wind flag flag
windflagusa.jpg
[/img]

Berga, incredible shooting at 200! And slung up, no less!

Try with a bipod and you will easily surpass me. I need to try some of this Fiocchi ammo! How is it grouping at 50 yards?

I have been thinking about a 300 yard target for these matches.
I like the 10" gong but it lacks rings for score keeping. I just bought some MR63-C targets to play with.

This target is a 600 reduced to 300 and is 20" by 20"
X-3" 10-6" 9-9" 8-12"

The full size MR6-3 target is 35"X35" and to keep it simple I just ordered the center.

I PM'd Top Predator and he pointed out that this would be easy to print in two halves with 8.5X11" paper. I would be willing to mail some of these to anyone interested in shooting a 300 match.
Any thoughts....

my longwinded (as usual) reply was:

"i don't see why not, i even forgot we don't have a 300 yard scorable target other than the 10" circle (gong). most folks that suggested a 300 yard match never really actually shot the match! (mostly due to local range limitations)

since all the matches where put together for fun, shits and giggles, we tried to keep the targets simple enough to be printed out on regular printer paper to reduce cost to someone participating, however if one chooses to purchase targets from a target supply, that is up to them (i'm way to cheap for that).

obviously seeing your targets and groups, you are an established (exceptional) shooter and used to what is probably considered a normal target to use at 300 yards. the target we use for the 100 and 200 measures

TQ-4
X bull =1”
10 ring =2” (.5” on each side from x)
1” space between the rest ….
9 ring = 4”
8 ring =6”
7 ring = 8”
6 ring =10”
5 ring =12”

A-21
X bull =2”
10 ring =4” (1” space on each side)
2” space between the rest…..
9 ring =8”
8 ring = 12”
7 ring = 16”

either of the targets you mentioned should be good to use, with the 20" x 20" probably being the better for having 2 8 1/2" x 11" copy papers (half a target on each) equalling around a 11 x 17 paper. this is like what we shoot for the 4 position 5 bull target in the short range matches.

to kind of go with the ratio we have between the 100 yard to to yard ring sizes, the measurements should be in the neighborhood of:

X=3"
10 ring 6"
then a 3" space between the rest...
9 ring 16"
8 ring 22"
etc. and would be hard to get on most home computer printers.

the target you mentioned with the
X-3" ---- follows the ratio of the 100 and 200 yard targets
10-6" --- follows the ratio of the 100 and 200 yard targets
9-9" ---- from here, things get out of ratio...
8-12"
but those dimensions would probably work the best in printing out the targets at home, without getting into printing a 4 page deal and piecing it together. however it would be a bit out of ratio from the 100 to 200 yard, but that would be of the majority opinion of the rest of the rimfire guys on which way to go.

in all reality, the matches are "of the people" so anything that may be added or changed should be of their opinion. i sort of suggested a smallbore silhoutte match, but i think the interest wasn't there.

i'd put it up on the forum and see what can be agreed upon. heads up though, you may be the only one shooting it!

i did a little search, i have these sources of supply right off:

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/highpower/
http://speedwelltargets.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=28
http://www.tjtarget.com/mall/smallbore.asp

i don't know if a 300 yard target scaled to be shot at 200 would be popular, but that may be worth mentioning also. i think we touched on the topic when the 300 yard match was suggested, and rather than a scorable target agreed on the 10" gong - BUT that doesn't mean it can't be re-discussed. you and CARTER MAYFIELD should have something somewhat challenging to shoot at
laugh.gif
wink.gif
"

so it's up to "the hide rimfire nation" to pick a scorable (ring) target.

i'm going to be a bit tyed up with smallbore silhouette matches and some financial straightening out stuff, so i can't really get a draft cheapie printable target out until most agree on a size.

I for one am still going to post my targets in the smallbore silhouette thread. Maybe even start a new one where anyone who is interested can post pics of their targets and instead of being a "competition" per say, it'll probably end up just being a thread to discuss techniques and the such. I don't forsee a large following in this but I'm definatly hooked
wink.gif

As for the 300 Yard targets, I'd LOVE to be able to get a scorable target but I doubt I'm anywhere near capable of competing with you guys... But I will do my best!

I just realized in my sig it says "ringin' metal at 300 yards" well that was a typo
crazy.gif

It's supposed to be "200 yards" now that's embarrassing!

Terror, PM me your mailing address and I'll send a couple of 600 reduced to 300 and use them for copies.
As far as this being a comp. I think it's just great fun to shoot with like minded riflemen. Nobody(Just a few) at my range "shoots for score" and it's a drag to shoot against yourself all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERGA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think it's just great fun to shoot with like minded riflemen. and it's a drag to shoot against yourself all the time.</div></div>

i think that's the reason for the "disinterest" in the smallbore silhouette comp getting started. the mind set here is good, and the silhouette thing is a little different than a tactical type of thing, and there is at least 1 really good web site for the silhouette stuff. BUT the silhouette thing is really good for the offhand practice, gets you dialing dope or holding over / under at different distances, and actually tranfers well to "tactical" shooting and hunting, as you are not always in the situation to be prone or shooting from a bench.

again i'm with TITS (terror in the shadows) and will hit that thread too, if others jump in, we can add it to the short range comps as a regular occurance, or even add it anyway. as i am a nobody and don't want to wantonly do it, i just need a "majority rules" that it can be added and do some leg work to add it in to be reoccuring in the stickie.

I'd love to try my hand at thee hundred.

I have an idea, take it for what it is worth;
Take one of our 'A-21' targets, and cut it into 4 sections, upper right, lower right, lower left and upper left. Take the 4 sections and "time and a half" (1.5X) them on a printer/copier. That would give us the ratio we are running with now. Then the shooter would have to print off one of each of the four sections, tape them together, and they would have a 17"x22" target on the cheap.

I think my printer/copier can enlarge. Let me play around with this and see what I can come up with.

UPDATE: This will work, but unfortunately my printer auto-centers the print out. Just need access to a better printer.

shot on 12-3-2011
at 100M

Name: grevo
Class: "S" Prone (nightforce 12-42X56)
Rifle: SAKO P94S
Ammo: remington target
Match: 100YP-TQ4
Score: 247-9x (i think its 9 .1s hard to tell)
Match: 100YP-25RDP
Score: 25 shots 22 hits

100M.jpg

shot on 12-3-2011
at 200M

Name: grevo
Class: "S" Prone (nightforce 12-42X56)
Rifle: SAKO P94S
Ammo: remington target
Match: 200YP-A21
Score: 173-3x
Match: 200YP-5RDP
Score: 25 shots 12 hits
now this one was beyond hard as i couldnt even see the target in the scope as i ran out of elevation on my scope and was using my spoting camera to see the hits.

200M.jpg

Grevo, that 200M target is 69% on score and 48% on the sim. gong. and you could not even see it !!!! Thats is awesome.
Way to overcome and put rounds on target.
Berga

Well after ordering the MR-63 I looked up the offical dimensions
.MR-63 Reduction of the MR-1 target for use at 300 yards
to simulate the 600-yard stage of the National Match Course.

Aiming Black (inches) Rings in White (inches)
X ring 2.85 6 ring 23.85
10 ring 5.85 5 ring 29.85
9 ring 8.85
8 ring 11.85
7 ring 17.85

so it is under 1 MOA (just barely) for each ring...but I just bought 250 of them so I'll shoot my gong and then the paper and post it just for shits and giggles. I would be handicapping
myself anyway if another target(larger) is voted in as the "standard" for our 300 YP/YB matches.
IAM really just out to see what I could score at 300 anyway.

Name: Bubbajoe
Rifle: AMT
Ammo: Wolf Match
Match: 100YP (no rear bag)
Score:???? COULD SOMEONE HELP SCORE THIS

march_targets002.jpg

bubbajoe, we need to know which competition you're shooting. If it's the gong comp, then you scored 24/25. If you were shooting the TQ4 then you got a 245-9x. Your target is difficult to score, but I count 9 in the x ring and 5 in the 9 ring. So minus 5 from 250 equals 245 and you hit the x 9 times for a score of 245-9x. The gong score would just be a 24 out of 25 though, I don't think the X count comes into play in that competition unless a tie breaker might be needed.

Logging bullet impacts would be really helpful in accuratly scoring these types of targets. If you can't see where they impact through your rifle scope, and you have a spotting scope or have one available to you, this scoring process could be much easier.

That's a pretty good score though, keep up the good shooting!

-Dylan

Nice shooting, a TQ-4 data book will help you keep score.

Name: TerrorInTheShadows
Rifle: Savage MkII-TR
Caliber: 22lr
Ammo: Wolf MT
Match: 100YB-TQ4
Score: 246-11x

03132011325.jpg

This was a ton of fun, and the first time I've ever shot 25 shots at a single target with this rifle. I got 4 shots to land in the 9 ring, most were cold bore shots from having to reload the magazine, and then one was just a random gust of wind that decided to take my bullet off course. The rest are all evenly placed among the 10 ring and half of those are in or breaking the x ring. The weather was good an I'm extremely proud of this target
grin.gif
If you guys think I mis-scored my target please say something and I will edit my score accordingly
smile.gif

-Dylan

Okay so at least I'm not the only one that thought it was stupid?
smile.gif
I can't think of any other first round of the string problems that would cause this though... Literally almost EVERY first round down range per magazine landed in the same position from the POA out of the entire day. I really don't know what's up but I had fun regardless.

Oh, and it takes me ~20 seconds from opening the bolt and removing the mag to inserting the mag and closing the bolt. But the barrel never gets warm so I cant imagine it could be anything else.

Help appreciated
smile.gif
but PM if you can
crazy.gif

-Dylan

Name: Carter Mayfield
Class: Scope
Caliber: 22LR
Ammo: RWS R50
Match: 200YP A-21
Score: 248 - 14X!

03-13-11SHRF200yds.jpg

Wow! This new RWS R50 sucks at 50, but is awesome at 100 and 200 yards. Today was by no means ideal conditions. 7 - 15 mph wind at 7 - 8 o'clock. That high one got away from me... I have no explanation for it. My other "9" was obviously a bad wind read. I knew it when I broke the trigger. The wind had died down just as I was trying to hold over a bit more. From the time I started this comp, I thought a clean was not possible with a 22. With this new ammo, I might be able to pull it off.

Damn nice shooting. I would say something about Texas but.... IAM from Austin. I think 200 is gonna be my "new 100"from here on out, at least in my head. Carter would you like to wager a box of ammo on who can clean 200 first ? Winners choice one box of fifty. You can tell me now so I can go ahead an order it.
BERGA

Haha, oh wow

Twice the distance and it looks better than my 100 yard target
grin.gif

That's some fine shooting Carter!

Actually, it is laser ranged at 214 yards!

Berga, you are on! I am losing this one if you are shooting a 245 slung up. From a bipod, you should be able to do it easily!

Actually, let's make the bet work like this. The loser gives the winner 2 boxes of their ammo. I would like to try your Fiocchi. My R50 needs 25 shots to get properly fouled, so just one box is kind of useless...

Carter, PM sent. IT IS ON !!!
BERGA

Name: DipSwitch
Match: 100YP Bench
Ammo: Sk Standard
Rifle: Savage MKII BTV
Score: 247-10X

PIC_0006.jpg

PIC_0008.jpg

So I just wanted to say hi to all you guys. This is my first shooting comp of any kind.Be gentle. It was my second time shooting and I was improvising a bench rest. Had to use a 4x6 and my gun bag.

I think your 11:00 shot might have broken the 10 ring. Great target, and welcome to The 'Hide
smile.gif

DipSwitch, Welcome aboard!

Nice shooting. I still need to get out and shoot my targets this month...

Name:BERGA
Match:300YP MR63 Sling position
Class:Scope
Ammo:Fiocchi super match 340
Score:237-3X
300yrdmarch001.jpg
[/img]

Name:BERGA
Match:300YP-10"Gong
Score:23 hits

I used my 10" cardboard as a scoring disk.
300yrdmarch002.jpg
[/img]

I was really trying to get in the 240's but it's a real test for me shooting the MR63 at 300 yards. The spring wind in the mountains is brutal. I fired some rounds where the first wind flag,75 yds down range,is showing wind from 3:00 and the second flag is from 6:00, the last flag,at the target,is from 9:00 !!!
I would like to thank DipSwitch and my good friend Mike for spotting for me. Sitting in a ditch with a spotting scope and cell phone gets old real fast.BTW my spotters only called the hits,I used a plot sheet and EFG to make corrections.
BERGA

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">MARCH 2011 LONG RANGE RESULTS:</span></span>

(from what I can see, everyone shot <span style="font-weight: bold">.22lr CALIBER</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">"S" CLASS</span>)

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 YARD</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP TQ4</span>

1. BERGA.......................249 - 16
smile.gif
(shot with a sling, no bipod)
2. GREVO.......................247 - 9X
3. ERIK.300ULTRA.............246 - 16X
4. BUBBAJOE...................245 - 9X
5. TOP PREDATOR.............240 - 3X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YB TQ4</span>

1. DIPSWITCH..........................247 - 10X
smile.gif

2. TERROR IN THE SHADOWS........246 - 11X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP TQ4 25RDP</span>

1. GREVO........................22 OF 25 - 3X
smile.gif

2. TOP PREDATOR..............20 OF 25 - 3X

<span style="color: #FF0000">100YP TQ4 35RDP</span>

1. BUBBAJOE....................24 OF 25 - 9X

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">200 YARD</span></span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP A-21</span>

1. CARTER MAYFIELD..........248 - 14X
smile.gif

2. BERGA........................245 - 6X (shot with a sling, no bipod)
3. ERIK.300ULTRA..............235 - 8X
4. TOP PREDATOR..............225 - 2X
5. GREVO........................173 - 3X

<span style="color: #FF0000">200YP 5RD</span>

1. TOP PREDATOR...............13 OF 25 - 2X
smile.gif

2. GREVO.........................12 OF 25 - 3X

<span style="color: #FF0000">300YP MR63</span>

1. BERGA.........................237 - 3X (shot with a sling, no bipod)!

<span style="color: #FF0000">300YP 10RD</span>

1. BERGA.........................23 OF 25

The March matches brought out many 200 yard shooters and at least 1 300 yard shooter, spawning more interest in the 300 yards matches, I have yet to make a scoring ring target up with the dimensions of the MR63 target - if that is what we are going with, I'll start a discussion on it in the April comp thread and hopefully we can agrre on a 300 yard target.

A new shooter to the matches this month, we welcomed DIPSWITCH to the rimfire competitions, of whom also posted a great winning score of 247 from the bench at 100 yards.

April showers bring may flowers, here in the Northeast we also hope the Winter will end too! Hope that Easter Bunny brings all the "good eggs" something special.