• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marine Corps Sniper Training Manual MCTP 3-01E

rick137

All rig and no target.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
OR
Fascinating document. Four types of supported positions - prone, sitting, kneeling and the Hawkins. However, only the forend is supported. The shoulder provides the rear support. Anything goes for forend support. There is also the M16 Quick Kill Method which is standing, unsupported except possibly for a sling. The text did not say a sling was used and photos were not clear enough.

Does anyone know what the Marines actually use in combat?

Last edited:
Reactions: cmr287
Fascinating document. Four types of supported positions - prone, sitting, kneeling and the Hawkins. However, only the forend is supported. The shoulder provides the rear support. Anything goes for forend support. There is also the M16 Quick Kill Method which is standing, unsupported except possibly for a sling. The text did not say a sling was used and photos were not clear enough.

Does anyone know what the Marines actually use in combat?
I have 3 really good friends I have served with that are 0317's and have deployed numerous times to both the Stan and Iraq. All of their engagements taken were either from a tripod or in an F'd up prone-like position on a mountainside. All three of them used the heck out of their slings for their engagements. I was curious how often they used them so I asked the question. Their answer was 80-90%ish of their engagements slings were used.

Slings are one of the most helpful tools a shooter has at his or her disposal if used properly.

Note: Pubs, Technical Manuals, Marine Corps Training Pubs, Training Circulars, Field Manuals, and Doctrine are a great starting point for what you're trying to accomplish. What is written in the text may not apply to your immediate situations at hand and you may have to adapt what you're doing to accomplish your mission.

I do not know if the use of the sling is still taught in the Scout Sniper Course however, I do know it is NOT taught in the USASC but mentioned. I also do know it is covered within the SFSC (Formerly known as SOTIC).

"Does anyone know what the Marines actually use in combat?" Are you talking TTP's or?

Last edited: