• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Marlin 1895: LPVO

Hesperidins

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2018
I bought a new Marlin 1895 which is a 45-70 Government. Though it likely won't be shot a much it will be used for both hunting and target shooting. Targets will be out to 300 yards, game will certainly be closer. Conditions will be daylight and lowlight. I prefer FFP and Mil and would like illumination, but not sure if those work with my max budget of $1000. Additionally, I guess FFP and Mil don't even make sense on an LPVO. No China.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I've got the same exact rifle and have been shooting deer with a Leupold Patrol 1.5-4 and love it. I'm not under the illusion that I'll be lobbing shots to 300 yards so the duplex SFP reticle with a red dot is great for me.

I didn't know if I would like the minimum 1.5x since I'm used to 1x LPVOs on my ARs but I really like the little extra for hunting. I'd focus on something that has a nice eye box since the cheek weld on a 1895 and LPVO isn't great. A raised cheek bad would go a long ways but I haven't spend the time to find one yet

Eotech vudu? They have 1-6 and 1-8 options. I think the 1-8 is FFP and you. Can find them popping up around $1k. Pretty sure it’s assembled in the USA at least but don’t know where parts are sourced from.

Mine is not a 300 yard gun. 200 yards is pushing it. I use a simple RMR custom mounted on the barrel. At 100 yards I can shoot steel side to side as fast as I can work the lever.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Good info, @rlsmith1, thanks.

200 yards, really @RobbinsHGray?
So here’s my two cents. For me this isn’t a gun I would put a scope on. The RMR is fantastic. Fast accurate light. I forget but I think I have mine zeroed at 150. It’s about an inch high at 100 and inch low at 200. It falls off quickly after that. So 200 doable 100%. In my mind it is the practical limit of my gun. Truly hope yours is better.

Last edited:
So here’s my two cents. For me this isn’t a gun I would put a scope on. The RMR is fantastic. Fast accurate light. I forget but I think I have mine zeroed at 150. It’s about an inch high at 100 and inch low at 200. It falls off quickly after that. So 200 doable 100%. In my mind it is the practical limit of my gun. Truly hope yours is better.
XS Ghost Ring is the ticket on an 1895.

VXR Patrol 1.25-4.
Athlon Helos 2-12 FFP if you reconsider the no China thing.

Good quality FFP LPVO that is not Chinese is kinda tricky in this price range. I'd probably lean toward a SFP LPVO of some sort. Look at Delta Stryker HD 1-6x24 and Tract Toric 1-8x24.

I have a ballistically similar 458SOCOM AR and it sports Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24. It is a nice combination.

ILya

Reactions: JDB55
I have a Riton 7 TACTIX 1-8×28, that I bought, only because it was a steal of a deal. It's Japanese made and FFP. The downside is the tube is 34mm and a little heavy. They can be found for well under $1000. Specs here:

One in stock. I think they're discontinued. I've bought from these guys and it went smooth, but it's been a few years.

Last edited:
2-7 Leupold on my 30-30 336. Useful range and size/weight are unbeatable. Not LPVO though.
I really really liked the VXR 2-7 for a non tactical/hunting.
Really bright firedot and battery last forever with the motion activation.
Super lightweight
Good fov.
Can be found really cheap.
Perfect for inside of 200 yards.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I debated this for a while and ended up with a Razor 1-6 on my Trapper. Got it on the PX here for less than your budget. It does make it rear-heavy but, IMO, it didn't add too much weight that would make it less handy or unwieldy. Once my Primal gets out jail that may change but for now I'm really liking it.

20220625_145909.jpg

I run an old Trijicon Accupoint on mine, 1.25-4. Does what it needs to