• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mason Dixon Sniper Series Match #2

SteveInMd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Maryland
The first match of the Mason Dixon Sniper Series is in the books. Registration for the second match in the Mason Dixon Sniper Series in now open. Details for the series can be found at: MASON DIXON SNIPER SERIES GENERAL INFO | BLACK HAT TRAINING CORPS

Date & Time: Sunday May 19, 2013
Check In opens at 8:00 am.
Mandatory safety briefing 8:30 am.
Firing begins at completion of safety briefing

Entry Fee: $40 per shooter
New registration procedure this year, sign up using the link and bring payment the day of the match. Also note the new cancellation policy posted with the series details.
Open to the first 24 shooters, after the roster fills entries will be placed on a waiting list. The roster is full, anyone wanting to be added to the waiting list please email me and I will add you to the list.

Equipment: Centerfire rifle capable of shooting 1 MOA.
Rifle scope with graduated reticle for ranging / hold over / hold off etc.
300 Win. Mag. Maximum Caliber Allowed
3100 fps Maximum Velocity
60 rounds match quality rifle ammunition
Eye and Ear protection
Empty Chamber Indicator flag (available for $3 if needed)
Anything you need to shoot with, but you must carry it for entire match.

Directions: From Westminster MD – Rt. 140 West to Mayberry Rd. Turn right on to
Mayberry Rd. follow for approx. 1.5 miles. Turn right at yellow sign for Mayberry Game Protective Association. Go past archery club and continue to game protective club.
From Taneytown MD – Rt. 140 East to Mayberry Rd. Turn left on to Mayberry Rd. follow for approx. 1.5 miles. Turn right at yellow sign for Mayberry Game Protective Association. Go past archery club and continue to game protective club.

Contact info: mayberrymatches(at)gmail.com

Thanks, hope to see you all at the range.

Steve Bechtel

Last edited:
Registered. Looking forward to it. I HIGHLY encourage the NHRPC regulars to shoot this. These are very well thought out and organized, and you already have the skills. Take your show on the road and bring home some meat.

:)

--Fargo007

Signed up and actually mailed a check yesterday before I saw this thread. Taking the initiative should be worth ten points. :)

Hahaha. My mom is a great shot with an Ithaca lever action .22, but I don't know how well she would do with a 17# rilfe off hand. Next one for sure, I gotta keep it going, I actually did not suck on Sunday.

I won't make this one either all good luck. Shoot straight. I settle on a new pad on the 17th.

The roster is full. If you registered using the link in the first post and received a message that your response was received you are in. Any shooter wanting to be added to the wait list please email me at mayberrymatches at gmail.com. Thanks and see you all at the range.

Steve B.

I'll be staying over night at the Best Western in Westminster. Any suggestions for good diners/restaurants for breakfast in the morning that are convenient for getting to the range?

Thanks.

Within walking distance of the hotel there is a local restaurant named Baugher's, excellent breakfast. If your in town early enough Saturday evening stop in for dessert, their home made pies and ice cream are awesome too. There is an Ihop across the highway from the hotel and there is a Denny's less than a mile away too.

Steve B.

Hats off to the Steve and staff for running a great match. I can't imagine I placed any higher than dead last, but I learned plenty and enjoyed the company.

It was great to put a face with some more of the names from here. It was a very well run match and the choreography of the staff on some of the more intricate stages was fantastic. There were some very nice twists....deadwood tripod.... to level the playing field and good variety of shooting. Thanks to the staff for a great day.

The Capn'

AWESOME job Steve, Tom, Tom Sr., Duke (lil bit late because of yoga).

Very challenging stages and once again the bar was set very high for effective organizational skill.

I didn't want to sit and watch the billboard music awards so I went ahead and opened up registration for #3. Get on board. There's a guest MD this time.....

--Fargo007

Great match! Thanks to the match staff for taking a day of your own time to provide a fantastic match for the rest of us. It was my first trip down there. You sure have a great range there and did a nice job of utilizing it to the fullest. The gates to hide the targets for the target call-out stage is a very nice touch - it may not make the shot any harder, but it sure plays on your mind when you can't see what is going on. That was a ton of fun.

Sorry I didn't stick around to thank everyone once I got done shooting. I had a long ride home, just got home a little while ago. I really wish I was closer!

It was nice talking with everyone between stages. I've got to start getting better and remembering names between matches!

Another great match! Thanks to Steve, Tom and Danny (and anybody else that helped with the match). As always, very organized, moved with efficiency and just plain fun. Loved the make-your-own-tripod shots.

PS - sorry to disappoint so many of you. next match will be sure to have on the signature trebark camo.

wooo-hoooo! 6th place. Feeling good about that. Clearly we are going to have to make Corey shoot with one hand tied behind his back or something! Outstanding job Corey - your score stands alone!

Yeah, nice shooting Corey! He is always super smooth and accurate. Very impressive work yesterday all around.

And another great one from the Mayberry folks - thanks to Steve, Steve, Tom Sr & Jr and Danny.

If anyone has a photo of any of the tripods, could they please post them up? My tripod was solid as I remembered my old Boy Scouting lashing skills (in case anyone is interested for next time, here is a good website link: Tripod Lashing | How to Make a Tripod Lashing | Scouting Knots). Unforunately, my shooting skills off it didn't live up to the good pioneering work.

See you guys again in June at New Holland!

James,
Here is the Capnswervon deluxe model. Solid, but too bulky to maneuver around effectively. I substituted proper lashing skills with lots and lots of 550 cord. :D

image.jpg

The Capn'

Funk is just making it harder for the rest of you. We are going to have to make these targets smaller and times tighter. Oh and just a hint about the next Mayberry event in July, you might see a guest MD there also. So bring your calculators and inhalers.

It's not yoga, Freddy. It's just how us fay guys shoot. Nice comfortable seat and exercise that trigger finger.
And yes we need more precision at our match. Steve we haven't done any 8 1/2 X 11 targets lately.

I really like the guest MD concept. Not only does it free us up a little bit, but we're actually helping to train the next generation of MD's.

Plus you get a wildcard, and a different flavor. For instance, I like how JBailey reaches back into history to create stages that are drawn from or based on actual events.

We have a good thing going here guys.

--Fargo007

Tom, Freddy-
thanks for those kind intro words.

For the record, shooters will NOT need your calculators at the July match. I promise. I gave you guys enough math at the last one to last a decade :)
There will be a "historical situation" stage like Freddy cites, in the spirit of last year's "SGT Eaton's Broken Scope."

"For the record, shooters will NOT need your calculators at the July match".
Does this mean we will need inhalers?

"For the record, shooters will NOT need your calculators at the July match".
Does this mean we will need inhalers?

That would be medical advice and per Mayberry's legal counsel, I will reframe from providing any such advice in either the affirmative or negative :)