• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Master Class Interview, David Tubb sits down with Us

I am back in Atlanta just finishing up an awesome weekend at the Precision Rifle Expo. Before Leaving Arena Training, I was able to sit down with David Tubb and record it for the Everyday Sniper Podcast

Worth the Listen

Everyday Sniper Link

I am WAY behind on the podcast (too busy with work/school during the day and I ride a motorcycle so listening to spoken word is difficult on the commute), but I recently switched jobs and can listen all I want while I work. I'm on about episode 28 or so, but powering through quick. This one should be interesting to listen to once I get to it!

I remember hearing Mr. Tubb on a podcast years ago saying that he is usually about 10 years ahead of everyone else. And, even knowing about his illustrious high power background, I took that as hubris.

But now....

Great pod Frank. I may have to listen to this one a couple of times, lots info dropped for sure.

check on the everyday sniper facebook page^

Reactions: Rover31
I see a pic of the “device/tool” but what does the bullet look like after?

Btw this podcast has sooo much info! I will be listening to this more than twice!

dayyymm. That was awesome podcast. Very interesting to hear some of his thoughts. I see him as much less arrogant now that he continues to back his shit up and continues to evolve and form much of our thinking in the sport.

Got about ten in and bookmarked it. As above, sooo much info to digest, this will take several passes to grasp whatever I can actually manage to grasp.

David's been a crucial part of the foundation underlying my own marksmanship growth.

Bravo, both of you.

Greg

Here is the image of the tool

41733117_1960861117270735_8118680575440584704_o.jpg

I thought the muzzle brake tuning topic was very intriguing. One of those "Now why didn't I think about that?" moments, and recollection of the BOSS system, and how it operated. Made total sense...

Thanks Frank
interesting,
So it looks like the tool allows for placement of the ring in various locations, true?
I am sure Mr Tubbs done testing on best placement?
Pretty cool stuff.
I would love to hear Litz and Tubbs have a discussion. Unfortunately 90% will be so far over my head

This podcast was outstanding. so much info.

The thing I like the most about Mr. Tubb is his ability to identify something that he isn't satisfied with the performance of, and then experiment until he fixes it. And all other shooters reap the rewards.

Excited to see more on this. Is it caliber specific or can it be used across multiple cals?

Spooky said it best up top, listening to this one made me really realize I don't know a damn thing!!!

Keep it up though, If I can retain even a tenth its worth every second!!!

He started talking cartridge and reamer specs after the internet blew up with xc jargon the last few weeks. I wouldn't feel bad if it starts going over head.. but I think he was trying to rebut some of the controversy over 6xc reamer design and alpha not giving him royalties.

Enjoyed the interview. Keep up the good work. Let us know when the nose ring tool becomes commercially available.

I have to put my input. Very good information. I didnt understand part of it and have to admit this guys on a totally different level. Good stuff thanks!!!

When you look at the aerodynamics viewpoint of of bullet flight. David Tubb is a genius with the annular nose ring and rebated boattail. Both in theory should have a significant difference which he is proving. Both create reduced drag by speeding up the laminar to turbulent airflow. I am curious if it reduces yaw variables as well past 600 yards. I will have to re-listen again. I know he pointed out the vertical spread difference.

Reactions: LastShot300
I am curious if it reduces yaw variables as well past 600 yards.

Hi,

To determine if the nose ring helps in the yaw aspect it would have to be tested with traditionally twist rate barrels along with the super fast twist rates David uses.
As it stands right now the yaw reduction is accredited to the "hyper-stabilization" theory with the 7 twist barrels David is using.
Warner Tool has stated that the nose ring is beneficial to the Flat Line projectiles having a better transition than the Flat Lines without the nose ring.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: TheMammoth
How long before Mr Tubbs has a dimpling tool?
If we could dimple the surface or nose/tip it would increase the bc.

How long before Mr Tubbs has a dimpling tool?
If we could dimple the surface or nose/tip it would increase the bc.
Dimpling would result in a loss of chamber pressure and energy efficiency from gas escaping between the dimples and grooves of the rifling. I think your head is in the right place, but basic pv=nrt will demand a sabot design to accommodate a dimpled bullet.

Reactions: Rover31
This nose ring concept seems to make me wonder if we were indavertantly doing the same thing in .223's with 75 ELDM's when using the wrong seating stem ( it was leaving an annular ring a couple thousandths behind the polymer nose). Hmmm....I remember thinking to myself that it was strange that I didn't see any loss in accuracy with that batch of ammo.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEIS
Nah just dimple the nose and maybe the boat tail leaving the bearing surface intact and solid.

Where can you buy the nose ring tool from?

Aerodynamics at high speed (just like fluid dynamics) is such an interesting ever changing subject that seems to always disprove previously cherished ideas about how to make airflow faster or smoother. It's an amazing area to study.

David Tubb, I almost idolize that guy! Such a wealth of knowledge.

I'm halfway convinced I should sell a bunch of my guns and gun stuff to buy his products. There's things about my already top of the line customs I don't like which his ATR would solve.

I'm also a holdovers/holdoffs nut, so his reticle makes so much sense.

Only problem is that's a lot of selling of nice stuff to come up with 10 grand.

Oh to be rich...

Thanks Frank for doing this interview, it was very very informative !

Reactions: lawofsavage
Wow. There was so much in there.....

Being in the market for a new muzzle brake, he got me curious about his five star brake. Frank, did you have a chance to get behind it or get any input from those that have?
I asked elsewhere, but seems there is very little info out there currently.

And I’m definitely going to tune it to the barrel too....

Indeed. The "tuning of the brake" comments were very insightful (reminded me of the BOSS system, and with self timed brakes these days, you could do essentially the same thing).

Hi,

Isn't it ironic that the further centerfire advances, the closer it seems to be pushed to rimfire "techniques" and concepts :)

"Playing" with action screw torques...rimfire has been using that technique to bring triangle shaped groups to circle shaped groups for decades.
"Tuning" muzzle brake to barrel...rimfire has been using barrel tuners (because they do not require reduction of recoil that brakes give us) to tighten groups and provide a more consistent POI to POA by perfecting the sweet spot in harmonics and vibration.

The rimfire guys have always had to "tune" their rifle to the ammunition as to where centerfire has went the "tune" your ammunition to the rifle concept, but we see more and more ELR centerfire guys starting to "tune" their rifle not necessarily to their ammunition per say but to their intended projectile.

The broadening of knowledge, techniques and concepts base seems to be way more acceptable in today's day and age compared to just 5-10 years ago.

Sincerely,
Theis

Yes, it is interesting to see the parallels. I still recall the first time I saw a rimfire barrel tuning system. It was on a Mossberg Model 46 (circa 1937), where the front sling swivel was attached to a metal barrel band (that wrapped around the barrel and was threaded for the sling swivel screw) via a tensioning sling swivel screw. You just tightened the barrel band by turning the swivel, and the barrel band tightened to adjust the harmonics of the barrel to be optimum for the ammunition being used.

Hard to believe that concept is coming up on a hundred years old now... Oh the ironies of cyclical technology development. :D

Yes, it is interesting to see the parallels. I still recall the first time I saw a rimfire barrel tuning system. It was on a Mossberg Model 46 (circa 1937), where the front sling swivel was attached to a metal barrel band (that wrapped around the barrel and was threaded for the sling swivel screw) via a tensioning sling swivel screw. You just tightened the barrel band by turning the swivel, and the barrel band tightened to adjust the harmonics of the barrel to be optimum for the ammunition being used.

Hard to believe that concept is coming up on a hundred years old now... Oh the ironies of cyclical technology development. :D

My 1827F biathlon 22rf, with it's skinny barrel, will shoot fantastic one day and "sometimes on match day", lol, shoot just barely acceptable. It can get frustrating. I've been strongly considering getting a tuner installed! Another advantage I can see is "getting away with" using mid priced ammo vs using expensive ammo, as long as the ES is decent and it shoots well enough to tune in!

Reactions: MarinePMI
Tubb just dropped a 2000 lb knowledge BOMB!! Listening to this one for the second time. Thanks Frank!

Where can you buy the nose ring tool from?

Aerodynamics at high speed (just like fluid dynamics) is such an interesting ever changing subject that seems to always disprove previously cherished ideas about how to make airflow faster or smoother. It's an amazing area to study.

Right now prototypes have been built and are being evaluated before production begins. I do believe they will be sold through David Tubbs website.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I think I still have some of the 110 tipped bullets he talked about in this podcast. They are in a small baggie and I received them from someone on this site. Can't remember, but nice to hear Tub talk about them.

Would love to see the aerodynamics in action using that high speed camera......

Hey Frank, just curious if you have gotten a chance to shoot very many of these bullets with the nose ring? If so, what is your opinion on them?
Sorry if you have already addressed this somewhere else.

Also, I really enjoy the podcast-keep up the great work!