• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

match bullets vs. varmint etc.

4cyl2v8

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2012
LI, NY
This is kind of a rambling question but hopefully I can get my point across. Are match type bullets more any more or less concentric (jacket/core thickness and uniformity) than other types of bullets (varmint/game/blasting) ?

An example of my question would be the Sierra 65gr. SBT at .300'ish BC vs 69gr. HPBT match bullets. They have very similar advertised BC's and assuming that they both shot well out of my target gun, would the match bullets be more accurate at long distance than the other because they are produced to a tighter tolerance when talking about the jacket/core uniformity/concentricity aroound the central rotating point? Are match bullets inherently more accurate than other types?

Or are all bullets produced by a manufacturer held to the same criteria? I am looking to start load development for a new trainer/paper puncher and would like to keep the costs as low as possible for reloading components. Its a 223 savage model 10 if it makes a difference. I found a good load for the 69 gr. sierra match that is around 3/4 inch. Unfortunately they seem to be hard to come by and a bit more expensive than some other brands/styles of components. I have been looking at some varmint type bullets like the Nosler varmageddon/Balistic tip varmint(.260BC), Hornady 53gr. V-max(.290BC), and a few others. I am wondering though if I am wasting my time using anything but "match" bullets for load development. I know I will have to try a few different size/shape/weight combinations to see what works best, but I would like to keep it to as small a number as possible.

Am I being to OCD? Do I just have to suck it up and shoot a bunch of different brands/weights/combinations to find out what works best and be happy with it. Thanks for the help and opinions.

your ? has a book length answer - get the Litz book

if you have a good SMK load, there will be no savings jacking around with a bunch of other loads - suck it up and order / wait for the sierras

try OK weber, good prices and nice people

IMO if you've found a load quickly that's great.
But you'll never know what other brands/types will do until you try them. You might find a cheaper bullet that shoots just as good on the flip side you might try 10 different brands & never duplicate what you already seem to have found. I've had good luck w/Amax but the SMKs are hard to beat. It's kinda a coin toss. Buy what you know works & just drop the $ or test & drop the $ just to maybe end back at the start point.

" Its a 223 savage model 10 if it makes a difference."

Hard to say what a factory barrel will do, with any given bullet, or even if it is justified to pay a premium for match bullets.

I don't think there is an easy way. You have to start with a bullet and a powder. Then, you have to try different components. Keep records, evaluate. It's a rather lengthly process.

It's doubtful that you will see some combination stand out from the crowd, it's going to be incremental.

Said another way, your barrel may have 3/4" potential, no matter what you throw at it. So, don't wash out your barrel looking for that quarter inch magic.

Good luck, BB

4cyl,

In the case of the SMKs you asked about, same jacket exactly, in both cases. Sierra refers to this as their HV jacket, and uses them for virtually all .22 production, with the exception of the Blitz and Hornet jackets, which are different draws, thinner walls. They do use different core alloys, which will alter expansion characteristics, but accuracy should be very similar.

Generally speaking, the HPBT configurations will give the better accuracy. Shouldn't come as any surprise, as that's what they're designed to do, from the ground up.

My hunting bullets are hornady and my targets are sierra/ berger. I think the hunting bullets expand easier than the targets do at a closer range with less penetration.

My Varmint .224's in my .223's are Nosler 50gr Ballistic Tips. I use a generic load of 26.0gr of Varget. I'm not shooting BR, and the load gets 'Chucks, period. If I miss, I'm stretching the distance beyond reasonable. Varmint hunting is neither art nor science, it's simply an enjoyable pastime; and making it into an exacting chore does not enhance the experience.

Greg

If you want to keep costs down look into the nosler CC's or hornady offerings. They're much cheaper than sierras and shoot just as good.

4cyl,

In the case of the SMKs you asked about, same jacket exactly, in both cases. Sierra refers to this as their HV jacket, and uses them for virtually all .22 production, with the exception of the Blitz and Hornet jackets, which are different draws, thinner walls. They do use different core alloys, which will alter expansion characteristics, but accuracy should be very similar.

Generally speaking, the HPBT configurations will give the better accuracy. Shouldn't come as any surprise, as that's what they're designed to do, from the ground up.

Thanks for the info all. This Is what I wanted to know about KT. I guess I will have to buy a box or 2 of some other brands/types and just try them. Good to know though that some of the game bullets contain many aspects of the "match" bullets. I had figured as much but just wanted to confirm to try and narrow my search a bit.

what is crazy ive been able to get better groups out of flat based 60grn vmax than I have 68 & 75 bthp.... all the way up to 600yards. 1:8 twist, 18" stainless barrels

My current 'match" bullet for my .30BR is the flat based softpoint Sierra 125gr Pro Hunter. After two previous choices become unavailable during the current supply chain insanity, I went with one my dealer said is a lot more available. It shoots just as well and costs a bunch less than the MatchKings and Ballistic Tips, and even doubles as a deer load. I also use it, along with the Hornady 110gr V-Max, in my Savage 7.62x39 Scout (which has a .308" diameter bore).

Greg

Last edited: