• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mauser K98 Build - Beyond Sporter

Scottie J

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
Hi everyone. New here and my first post. Not really a gun nut, more of an enthusiast and advocate of the 2nd Amendment who can’t afford all the cool toys. Anyway. I wanted to share my current K98 8mm Mauser build.

Several years ago my stepfather had a severe stroke that left him permanently disabled. He started giving away most of his firearm collection to the grandkid’s when he offered me his “old 8mm Mauser”. Obviously I accepted it, but had no idea what I actually had until tons of research. 1944 BNZ K98K, numbers matching with great rifling, but full sporterized with Redfield peep sight and no original hardware. I just started REALLY shooting it this year when the walnut stock started splintering and splitting down the butt while shooting it.

Knowing it would easily cost a $1000 to restore to original, but also knowing how incredibly accurate and powerful these things are, I decided to build it into a high power big game rifle. But also plan on plinking some steel at 300+ yards for fun on occasion. In June I mounted it in a ProMag Archangel stock and have had a bit of fun at 50 yards and occasional 100 yards. Then today I mounted the fore end picatinny rail and a Caldwell bipod.

Evolution Gun Works 3 hole picatinny rail should be here this week. I’m a former mechanic by trade and have drilled and tapped hundreds of holes into every material you can think of. I also do all my own gunsmithing. So I’m confident I can handle this rail install with ease.

Not 100% sure on optics yet but leaning towards a Vortex Crossfire II 6x18 44mm objective. Unless I come across a used unit that’s better in the same $200-$250 range. Definitely open to suggestions as I’m totally new to PROPERLY setting up optics. But this is also a upper end budget build. Not trying to throw garbage on my rifle, but also not trying to break the bank. I realize most of you guys spend $1k on just your optics, but I’m brand new to this and on a tight budget. My wife had back surgery and has been out of work.

Attachments

• 6803703C-B36B-4576-978C-5BD09C683D49.jpeg
    6803703C-B36B-4576-978C-5BD09C683D49.jpeg
    705.4 KB · Views: 1,559
  • 05277B4D-B450-495D-9C31-A5197B6AB58E.jpeg
    05277B4D-B450-495D-9C31-A5197B6AB58E.jpeg
    818.4 KB · Views: 299
  • E010B669-24DA-40AA-9A5C-6DA69FEFEFAE.jpeg
    E010B669-24DA-40AA-9A5C-6DA69FEFEFAE.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 335
  • 93B517F5-FB25-448E-8778-D7A88BF35539.jpeg
    93B517F5-FB25-448E-8778-D7A88BF35539.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 270
I have one in the exact same situation that belonged to my great grandfather. The sporterized stock started splitting badly behind the action. I should make a project of it this winter. How do you like this stock? Your photos look better than the stock photos on their website.

ETA: The best "upper end budget" optics I have found have been used SWFA fixed power scopes. Can be had for $200 and are great for the price.

Reactions: Scottie J
Thanks! I LOVE this stock. I have long arms and most stocks are awkwardly short for me. The full adjustability of this thing makes it very comfortable to shoot. Also upgrading to a 10 round magazine is a huge plus. But I recently saw a different one that has a rail built into the stock just before the receiver. Can’t remember the name or who makes it though.

I received my EGW rail today and it’s a great fit and looks like it is going to work perfectly. However, no one locally sells a 6-48 tap. So ended up having to order that off of amazon as well. Hoping to get the rail fitted on Sunday.

Reactions: ZG47A
good looking rifle.. very nice job on the build. I have a Model 98 Mauser that my dad modernized and polished the bolt years ago. It shoots about 2 MOA from the bench with hunting ammo. What kind of accuracy or you getting with yours?

Reactions: Scottie J
I usually shoot her at 50 yards, because my 43 year old eyes don't work well with iron sights these days. With that said, I usually keep the shots in a 4"-6" group and within the 10 ring with a few bulls. But, I'm a total idiot. Whilst drilling the receiver for my picatinny rail, my over-confidence drilled through the receiver and clean through the back side of the chamber. DOH!!! I laughed, I cried. I called a gunsmith. :ROFLMAO:😭 All because no-one local does any kind of gunsmith machining and I didn't want to ship my gun to a "stranger". So, this project is on the back burner until next year and will be converted to 30-06. Tons more ammo options and relatively similar ballistics.

Instead, for now, I decided to build up my Maverick 88 for deer season next month. I didn't want to go crazy on optics, and decided on this TruGlo 2x42 red dot with 2x magnification. Held up and sighted well with 3" mag Super X slugs at 20 yards, then 50 yards. Took about 10 rounds at 50 yards to realize I was hitting high, not low. Once I reeled her in I stuck 2 bulls in a row. (I really need a spotting scope.) Lesson here is; hit the center of the bull at 20 BEFORE trying to hit a bull a 50. 😜Also installed an ATI buttstock pistol grip, TacStar tactical picatinny and side saddle combo, and 3 way rail on the mag tube that I can install a bipod for target, a sling for hunting, or a flashlight for tactical. Going to head back to the range in a couple of weeks, make sure she's dialed in at 50, then take her to the 100 and see what she does. I plan on installing a Carlson rifled choke before I head back out.

Attachments

• Maverick_Shooting.jpg
    Maverick_Shooting.jpg
    757.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Maverick_Clean.jpeg
    Maverick_Clean.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: devildawg2531