• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mauser smiths... magnum-length conversions?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Customer brought in handful of Mausers, various "project" rifles...
    One of them is 98 Brazilian receiver that's to be fitted with CDI bottom metal and a "prefit" in .300 WM.

To maximize mag OAL, I'd need to remove substantial material from the feed ramp- basically all of the lower, "steeper" section.
    Common sense tells me this will weaken the lower lug abutment substantially, but I cannot find any info in Kuhnhausen's book as to what's "acceptable".

Given that thousands of 98-pattern receivers have been modified to big-bore magnums, I know it's done- but I can't locate any information on this?

Interested in hearing from other smiths that have done these magnum-length conversions, thanks in advance.

OP:

As mentioned by you, chewing on lug abutment features to gain OAL on a cartridge isn't the most desirable pathway. My Mauser "Kung foo" is pretty much "zilch." I don't have much experience with them besides hanging the occasional barrel.

The primary concern I have is the condition of the steel. The type and the heat treatment are the two questions I'd want answers to.

Good luck.

C.

^^^
    Thanks, Chad.
    Waiting to hear back from the cust on his intended ammo (I don't know if he handloads or shoots factory). SAAMI is the same length for the WM and the '06, but far more likely he might try to run 215's and heavier with a WM. In any case, I'm going to limit what I'm willing to do on this to minimal removal if any of the feed ramp. Carburizing seems to be solid best as I can tell, lug abutments look good and the insert was squealing when I faced a few thou off the receiver ring.