• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Maven RS4- new

OSU Fisher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2019
Got an email today from maven about pre order on their new scope the RS4. I literally ordered 2 athlon ares ETR's yesterday for a couple rimx rim fire builds I have coming. This scope almost has me second guessing my choice. Looks like a pretty descent buy at their pre order price.

I looked but couldn’t find anything about a zero stop or locking windage. Anybody has any idea?

looks like a nice scope!

I looked but couldn’t find anything about a zero stop or locking windage. Anybody has any idea?

looks like a nice scope!
Hard reset zero stop and no locking windage. I do wish it was locking... I'm really considering switching up my scope order. At 1800 full price I would probably pass but the 1400 pre order price is tempting.

Reactions: JC0352
This might be the most succesful precisoin oriented design LOW has ever made: Delta Stryker, Athlon Cronus, Trijicon Tenmile, Tract Toric and now Maven RS4 are all versions of it. And Leica PRS shares some mechanicals with it. In all cases where I have seen, this design has been reliable and very good optically for the money.

I like Maven's mrad reticle. They are a little different, but seem intelligently designed.

ILya

This might be the most succesful precisoin oriented design LOW has ever made: Delta Stryker, Athlon Cronus, Trijicon Tenmile, Tract Toric and now Maven RS4 are all versions of it. And Leica PRS shares some mechanicals with it. In all cases where I have seen, this design has been reliable and very good optically for the money.

I like Maven's mrad reticle. They are a little different, but seem intelligently designed.

ILya
Yeah I think I may end up with a couple....

ILya

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had a fair bit of time spent coming up with that reticle design and for use in competition is has been serving really well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had a fair bit of time spent coming up with that reticle design and for use in competition is has been serving really well.

Any thoughts on the Maven RS4 CFR-MIL reticle compared to the Kahles SKMR3 on their 624i?

Any thoughts on the Maven RS4 CFR-MIL reticle compared to the Kahles SKMR3 on their 624i?
I dont have a lot of time behind the SKMR3 but used the SKMR for years in competition. To me the big thing that was lacking was the 0.2 mil holds on the vertical and having a bit more open space between bars to make better calls when spotting for someone else. For the most part, I dont find we are holding more than 0.6-1.0 mil of wind even if doing hold over so it was not as important to have 0.5mil increments in the tree area because it starts to cover a lot of your target. I live in WY and typically dial elevation for each shot but it is certainly fast to do a hold over if you needed still.

Thanks for the info and opinion. I have pondered long and hard and I think I'm going to give the CFR-MIL reticle on the Maven RS4 a try. I will typically hold for wind and dial elevation unless time doesn't allow that. I will be trying to get into some PRS matches around here, although they are few and far between, and I know that is what they designed that reticle for. I expect it will do just fine for hunting as well. After I have had it for a while and tried it out I'll post back. Thanks again.

Reactions: enginerd
Anyone have any thoughts on this scope after using it?
Would love to hear from owners.

Anyone have any thoughts on this scope after using it?
Would love to hear from owners.

After getting the Maven RS4 with CFR-MIL reticle and having it at the range a few times I really like the reticle. It is easy to use for hold over and hold off (windage) and it is not cluttered. There are a few places where you can use it for ranging and you have 1/10 mil lines instead of the .2 lines. The glass is extremely good by my eyes. I was shooting both the RS4 and the Kahles 624i side by side and the Kahles did have a slightly better picture over the Maven but not enough to justify twice the price. Very happy with the Maven so far.

Reactions: WY_Chas
I just shot a match with my CFR-MIL RS.4 last weekend and it worked fine. It would be an atrocity if a scope in this price range sucked. I'll give a comparison between my RS.4 and Cronus BTR.

In low light, the Maven is way brighter. I made this comparison in my dimly lit basement at night and was really impressed with the Maven.

At 10x and lower I had some issues with windage holdovers at my match. .4 and .6 mils are similar enough that it was hard to pick out. I kept inadvertently focusing on .8 when I was trying to find .6. Not a huge issue with training, but I did notice it, and I'm kicking myself for not practicing properly behind the reticle before the match. I'm also too new to the long range game to have a Range Finder yet, so when practicing out in the desert, I range with my reticle. The RS.4 has .1 gradations both vertically and horizontally, far enough out of the way that they're not noticeable when shooting. Cronus only has .2 mil gradations.

I like the illumination on the RS.4 - it's kind of red dottish partial illumination everywhere else. I actually like this much more than what I've had on my Viper PSTs, Ares ETR, and Cronus. I tried to get a decent picture, but holy cow, getting a camera to focus on the reticle was hell. Sorry for the potato pic. Illumination has options for both green and red. I'll say that the Cronus has a much brighter Illumination range, but that's not important to me. I use illumination when shooting in early morning hours when it's dark.

Turret feel winner goes to the Cronus BTR. My elevation turret isn't mushy per se, but it is a bit more smooth than "clicky" if that makes sense. I tried taking the O ring out and it made it about how I'd expect a good scope to feel, but I'm leaving my O ring in because I think doing otherwise is going to invite problems, especially shooting in the moon dust of the desert. The Cronus' clicks are OK. I'm pining over the strong clicks and solid feel of my Ares ETR that I sold to finance the upgrade to the Cronus. For turret feel, Ares ETR > Cronus >= Viper PST II > Maven RS.4.

Zero setting on the RS.4 is the best I've ever used. Using nothing but your fingers, you unscrew the top of the turret, pull the turret off, and put it on again at zero setting. Done. Better than the Cronus, Better than the ETR, and miles ahead of the Viper PSTs I've owned.

Eye relief, eye box, and sight picture - The Maven has to sit back pretty far on the rail to get a full sight picture, especially compared with my Ares ETR and Cronus. The ETR felt like it had to be as far forward as possible with the stock at full extension. Cronus somewhere in the middle. I make this out to be a bigger delta than it is. The ETR's eye relief is listed at 3.9", and the Maven's is 3". It's no ACOG. The sight picture or window, or whatever, on the Maven is Huge. Getting behind it, it fills your view, and the black ring around the outside is tiny. The Cronus feels small, almost like it has a smaller field of view, even though they're about equal. The black ring around the Cronus is very large. It feels like the scope is far away, and I guess it is farther away by about .5 inches anyways.

My biggest issue with the closer eye relief is that I have to set the scope pretty far back, and cant' take it back further without cutting my picatinny rail to accommodate it. I'll probably end up doing so. If you're on an R700 SA clone, you might not have this issue. I have a Tikka, so the receiver is pretty long, and so is the rail on top.

I really like the mag ring on the Maven. The magnification numbers are printed on the objective bell rather than the ring. I found it easy to memorize which positions are which magnifications. 12 is at 12'o'clock, 10 is at 11'o'clock, 18 is at about 1, or 1:30.

Parallax is 15yds to infinity on the maven. Most scopes are 25-Infinity. At 10x, I can resolve 1 MOA dots on the other side of my house, so I don't have to get a DFAT to practice. I'm never going back to a 25yds min parallax again.

When stepping up the magnification, the Cronus seems to start getting dim at about 14x where the Maven seems to my eyes to stay bright and clear until ~18x. I feel like the Cronus gets darker at max than the Maven does. I don't really go beyond 18x, so this is mostly just a reference for those that do.

Finish is more glossy on the Maven than on the Cronus. I noticed at the match that compared with my squad's TTs and Nightforces, mine was much less of a matte than theirs. Not an issue for me though.

Overall, I like the Maven better than the Cronus BTR. I like the looks too.

223_tikka.jpg
reticle.jpg

Has anyone compared the rs4 to any of their scopes like the razors and the Leupold Mark 5s

I looked at a maven, bushnell, and vortex gen 2 side by side at a match. All the great things I read on the hide about the maven made me laugh while I compared them all. I think everyone should go ro a match and look through all the optics before you buy.

I looked at a maven, bushnell, and vortex gen 2 side by side at a match. All the great things I read on the hide about the maven made me laugh while I compared them all. I think everyone should go ro a match and look through all the optics before you buy.
So it diddnt compare to the other scopes

I don’t know about the glass as that is very different person to person for obvious reasons.
The RS4 features are phenomenal, especially the zero lock and zero set mechanism.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the glass as that is very different person to person for obvious reasons.
The RS4 features are phenomenal, especially the turret locking and zero stop mechanism.
The turrets on the rs4 lock?

I have an RS4 and I dont have locking turrets.

I have compared it to my Khales and I think the glass is comparable. And I find the CFR-MIL reticle easy to use.

If you are worried about it and want to try it before you buy, Maven has a demo program where they will let you try out the scope for 2 weeks and if you dont like it all it will cost you is shipping and some time. But it is a great way to try an optic without risk of dropping a bundle that you cant get back.

That's what I thought. I have one and they don't lock. Had to check to see that I wasn't under utilizing or something.

Ya - I had to check mine as well to make sure I wasn't missing something and that I was giving correct information.

I meant zero stop.
Sorry, I should have read it before I posted.
Fixed

I meant zero stop.
Sorry, I should have read it before I posted.
Fixed
It's all good. Speaking of turrets, does anyone else have pretty mushy turrets, or is that just my scope? They're not trash, but they're very quiet, just a very little play in them, and the clicks aren't very tactile when wearing mechanix gloves.

my turrets aren't loud but they are definately NOT mushy. I dont usually have gloves on so I cant speak to their feel with gloves. I can hear them when dialing and they feel solid to me.

looks like a nice scope!
Its an awesome scope, extremely clear optics and illuminated red or green plus an awesome reticle. Parallax down to 15yds like all mavens.
RESETTING THE TURRET TO ZERO continued RS.3, RS3.2, RS.4 & RS.5: Remove the top knurled portion of the turret by turning counter-clockwise. Once removed, the turret can lift and spin without engaging the adjustment clicks (note: moving the turret while it is still engaged with the inner mechanism will change the zero of your scope). Once the turret spins freely, turn it either direction until the 0-mark lines up with the Zero Indicator facing on the ocular side of the turret base. Press down to reengage the turret mechanism, then re-tighten the turret by placing the top knurled portion back onto the turret, turning clockwise. Do not overtighten. Repeat the process for resetting windage. ADJUSTING ZERO-STOP RS.3: 1. Once zeroed, loosen the zero-stop ring screw with a small flathead screwdriver. 2. Turn the zero-stop ring until the ring sits firmly against the bottom of the zeroed turret. 3. Use a small flathead screwdriver to lock the zero-stop into place. 1 21 2 3 Zero-stop and base pins ADJUSTING ZERO-STOP continued RS3.2, RS.4, & RS.5: 1. Once zeroed, remove the top cap and slide the elevation turret off the scope 2. Using the included hex wrench loosen the three screws on the side of the zero-stop. 3. Slide the zero-stop down the elevation mechanism until it rests against the bottom of the turret base, rotate clockwise until the zero-stop pin touches the base pin. 4. Retighten all screws. 5. Replace the turret with the 0-mark aligned with the position indicator and replace the top cap.

Guys their CS is among the best I’ve ever dealt with. I’ve been running an rs4 for about a year and a half in prs rimfire, shot the nrl nationals this past weekend and wound up messing some stuff up. Called them today and new scope on the way, I also run their binos. Great company to deal with, would recommend.

These have just started being exported to the UK and I think they're phenomenal Value for money!

I've made a video review:

Would appreciate the Hides feedback too. I've not got alot of resources aside from my phone and a triggercam at the moment but working on it.

Reactions: enginerd