• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Mcmillan A5 DBM install??

species0113

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
Glen Rock, Pa., USA
Anyone do their own inletting of an A5 for a DBM? If so, what is used to secure the pillars into the stock? Are they just pressed in with a tight fit or are they epoxied in? Thanx in advance, Berg

Re: Mcmillan A5 DBM install??

i think what Jason was asking is what bottom metal is the stock inletted for, the action doesnt matter at this point since you are trying to install and DBM. Most likely you would be better off sending it to someone to inlet and pillar bed

That's a lot of material to remove with a Dremel and make it look good. Unless you've got a mill I'd suggest sending it off to be done.

Didn't really want to bed it just yet. Just using this barrel temporarily. But no matter what, the Surgeon DBM and 700 action is going to be used.

I have a lathe and horizontal milling attachment for it. Just wondering about the pillars. Will probably sent it to Manners though. Just curious.

you should go ahead and bed it, and then burn the barrel up refining the skill before you slap a new tube on there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should go ahead and bed it, and then burn the barrel up refining the skill before you slap a new tube on there </div></div>

So it wont matter if I use a diff size or contour barrel later? I don't want to have to rebed later. Don't most smiths bed a couple inches of the barrel on the action side. Trying to do this on a budget saving where I can w/out cutting corners. This is pretty much uncharted waters for this guy. Never really got anal about accuracy before deer hunting in woods and brush mostly. Now that I have some land, I spend more money and time feeding the damn deer then I do hunting them.

well if you want to leave it unbedded its not gonna hurt anything, but your accuracy wont be where it could be. yes most smiths bed a few inches past the lug. But getting a new tube on there at the get go is like dropping 700 dollars on something you arent sure if your going to like or not. My recommendation, if you dont want to bed it, thats cool, shoot the piss out of it till you burn the barrel up, during this time you will refine your skills and get good along the way, then once the tube is shot out rebarrel it and you will be set

Any recommendations on getting the stock inletted? And if I can swing it, getting it bedded as well? JW Precision recommended GA Precision who recommended Manners, who said they could do it. Also, I have a Vais brake that I had purchased for a NEF hvy barrel .308 but never had it installed. The NEF shoots pretty good (. 570ish @ 100 yrds. w/ FGGM) for a $200 rifle but kicks like small mule compared to my SPS. Is the Vais a decent brake by todays standards, and should I consider having it installed on the Rem barrel as well. Or should I dump it?

why not send it to McMillan and have them bed it as well once they inlet it? Either McM, Manners, WNRoscoe does excellent work as well. McMillan would be my first choice with WNRoscoe very close behind, or there are a bunch of good smiths up there in PA that would do it. PM 7mmRm and ask him who does good work up there

Mcmillan quoted me 40-something dollars to open my A5 up to accept an M5. Thats pretty damn cheap considering the stock costs $700.

I wouldnt chance it. I always send things back to whomever made it. They know best

I just sent an A5 to reinlett for the Badger M5. It was $51 plus $25 shipping.
It should be back in a week or so.
Nick