• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing McMillan rifle stocks - company sold??

LOL. Has anyone other than me thought of just picking up the phone and calling them? Unless the contact I talked to at McMillan is lying, which I have no reason to believe they would, the stock division is still owned and run by the McMillan's and was not sold with the rifle division. Now, this is not to say what the future may bring up the road.

Interesting topic about companies with long lead/manufacturing times. I'd be curious to hear if any of the stock/action/barrel manufacturers have done any Engineering Economic Sensitivity or Probabilistic Risk Analyses. The right analysis would dictate the optimum operations expansion so you don't have excess capacity more often that you don't, even if you think the bubble will last only a few more years (2016) :), manufacturing equipment has resale which can be factored into the analysis.

My industry snapshot is as a user, not insider, so it would be interesting to know (generally, obviously) the statistics of your operation. Seems good barrels/stocks/components have always had a long lead-time, can anyone remember over the last 10 years or longer when McMillan could deliver a stock in under 4-6 months? If you "consistently" have large backlogs, you're probably throwing money away, by not optimizing processes and not maximizing profit potential (even if you're not interested in being wealthy, maximizing profit could enable you to expand comfortably and be generous to those who work with/for you) . Maybe you like your boutique niche and don't care what percentage of your possible customer base goes elsewhere, I guess there's always that. Just an interesting observation.

On 9/19 it will be exactly 7 months waiting for my first Manners stock. Not that I'm complaining, just wanted to point out the wait isn't any shorter.

Interesting topic about companies with long lead/manufacturing times.

TOPO,

I've often had similar thoughts about what effect someone skilled in the art of modern production strategies would have on such a business. It seems that there are numerous opportunities for improvement.

That being said, go read Jim Womack's narrative on his experience with Merlin Metalworks (a custom bicycle company which went "boom!" in a spectacular manner when Womack and his team attempted to cram lean productive principles where they did not fit).

I think McMillan and their lead times are the best thing that ever could have happened to Manners Stocks.

I know I wanted a McMillan for a build last year and my timeline didn't allow for a 9month wait (my buddy had one going at the same time and did in fact wait 9 months for a McMillan) so I went with a Manners in stock at Stockys. I eventually found a McMillan on GB that I picked up just to have for the next build, but I never would have considered Manners if McMillan had been available.

Manners has stepped up/stepped in and become a go-to product on rifle projects because they can manage to make their products available, and it appears a number of shooters now appreciate the quality of the Manners who never would have owned one had McMillan been able to service the demand.

If manners would sell flat top uninletted stocks at a reduced price, they would sell a lot more stocks. I tried to order one and they wanted basically the same money inletted and painted vs no inletting and no paint. Thats just silly. McMillan gives a good cost break for no paint and no inletting.

If manners would sell flat top uninletted stocks at a reduced price, they would sell a lot more stocks. I tried to order one and they wanted basically the same money inletted and painted vs no inletting and no paint. Thats just silly. McMillan gives a good cost break for no paint and no inletting.

Manners is basing their cost and lead time off of their current product line. The reason they didn't discount your offer is they don't have to. They have more than enough work to do. Maybe once they get caught up they will give you a deal. Till then supply, demand, and output set the price. We are lucky they didn't increase the cost of their stocks. Bet we still would have ordered

From McMillan's Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/McMillanGroupInternational

I guess it is time.

Kelly and Ryan McMillan are negotiating the sale of McMillan Firearms Manufacturing. We expect the sale to close within the next 45-60 days. Both will stay on with the company for an extended length of time as consultants. We expect the new owners to to continue the tradition of the highest quality products and the finest customer service in the industry. Along with the co...mpany comes the responsibility to our customers past, present and future and I am quite sure they will continue the traditions that accompany the McMillan name.

McMillan Fiberglass Stocks is not for sale and will stay with the McMillan family. Obviously everyone can continue to expect the finest stocks on the market with the best customer service. Heck, who knows, maybe we will be able to make some changes that will allow us to get our delivery times back to a more acceptable time frame.

On 9/19 it will be exactly 7 months waiting for my first Manners stock. Not that I'm complaining, just wanted to point out the wait isn't any shorter.

I just got the call this week that my McMillan is done. I ordered it on Feb. 2nd.