• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan stock - brittle gelcoat layer?

Temp9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
SLC, UT
I finally got around to glass bedding my A5 a couple weeks ago. When I tapped the action to get the bedding to release, I must have knocked on the side of the stock a little. To my surprise, this took out a fairly sizable chunk of the stock. It appears this area of the stock was hollow and completely unsupported, hence why it chipped so easily. The chip isn't a big deal (especially since it was my fault), but it seems like this entire hollow area is going to be just as fragile. I don't treat my rifles very gently, which is why I chose the molded in finish to begin with.

My emails to McMillan have gone unanswered thus far. I'll give them a call as soon as I get a chance, but haven't yet, thanks to the fact that I don't even have time for lunch, most days. Anyways, I'm not super well-versed in the manufacturing of these stocks, so what do you guys think? Normal or defective?

dsc6452f.jpg

dsc6451p.jpg

dsc6448x.jpg

That looks more like an air pocket to me.

I agree that this looks like a air pocket or a void in the composite. I would be disappointed, this seems to be either a manufacturing defect, or if they are all like this I would say that they are a low quality product. It will be interesting to here their response when they get back to you. In the absence of further information, I would say that is seems that this stock is a step down from a factory Remington stock.

:) with My opinion and $2.00 you could get a good cup of coffee at Starbucks.

Definitely not an expert but yes its brittle and no, you didn't have contact between the gel coat and the layer of fiberglass below. Mcmillan can probably do a repair patch, i'm surprised they haven't replied to you they are good people. I would ship it back with a letter, offer to pay repair cost and see what they say.

I agree that this looks like a air pocket or a void in the composite. I would be disappointed, this seems to be either a manufacturing defect, or if they are all like this I would say that they are a low quality product. It will be interesting to here their response when they get back to you. In the absence of further information, I would say that is seems that this stock is a step down from a factory Remington stock.

Really!!? How may mcmillans do you have? They make quality products, everybody has a bad spot here and there, give them a chance to make it right.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have no reason to doubt McM's customer service. They were nothing but great to me when I had questions about ordering the stock.

A little update: The void/pocket extends .25-.5" forward and about 2" back from the chipped portion, as best I can tell poking in the hole with a wire. This stock is definitely going back.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with McM's repair times? I already had to send my barrel back for about a month, I'd hate to be without a stock for another 1-2 months.

I have several of their stocks, and have had good response the rare times I've needed anything.

Suggest you call them about it and tell them it appears to have been an air pocket just below the surface of the stock that cracked out.

That looks to me like a shrinkage cavity that formed during the molding of the stock. Seems weird that it would happen there, though, as that part of the stock looks like a fiber reinforced hand layup mold on top of the molded stock interior.

EDIT: They could actually use the outside plastic as a mold for the fiberglass reinforced stock on the inside, in which case it makes total sense. They would blow mold the outer layer and then injection mold the inside, which could lead to an air pocket, or shrinkage cavity.

Last edited:
they will take care of you but I wouldn't bother. The time it takes to box it up and take it to a shipper, you can repair it yourself. 2ton epoxy with micro beads or that 2 part epoxy putty or marine tex will fix that. Your finish appears to be the cast-in finish that is easily scratched...just repaint or do a dip with a hard clear coat.

McMillan stocks are super high quality, but this is an unavoidable problem with their gel coated, or molded in colors stocks. It's a norm, only most don't know it because they don't look for it with a small hammer. You found it by accident. It's not a big deal, and they will fix it if you don't mind the wait. I personally would order a color patch kit from them, and do it my self to save time. It's cheap, and you'll have it in a week or less. Best of luck.

McMillan stocks are super high quality, but this is an unavoidable problem with their gel coated, or molded in colors stocks. It's a norm, only most don't know it because they don't look for it with a small hammer. You found it by accident. It's not a big deal, and they will fix it if you don't mind the wait. I personally would order a color patch kit from them, and do it my self to save time. It's cheap, and you'll have it in a week or less. Best of luck.

Thanks for the response! My initial thought was to fill the chip with Devcon, or even just to leave it and forget about it. That patch kit sounds like a good way to go, since I really would like to avoid sending the stock in. This is the first I've heard of the patch kit.

Would you recommend doing anything to fill the rest of the void that didn't chip out? This is the part that concerns me the most.

Thanks for the response! My initial thought was to fill the chip with Devcon, or even just to leave it and forget about it. That patch kit sounds like a good way to go, since I really would like to avoid sending the stock in. This is the first I've heard of the patch kit.

Would you recommend doing anything to fill the rest of the void that didn't chip out? This is the part that concerns me the most.

Ozzie "STR" gave you the best solution here. Call McMIllan and have them send you the resin, hardener, carb-o-sil and colors to match. It's not hard to do. Mix 7 to1 Resin to hardener, add some carb-o-sil. Mix well, then separate the mix and add small amount of color to each. Fill the void with base color and add black line to marble. Let dry and sand.

I'm not sure where you are as I am on tapatalk but a marine supply store would have what you need. West system has the aforementioned fillers and epoxy, such as micro-balloons and colloidal silica, and Devcon steel or Ti putty would also make a good repair. I've even ground down some fiberglass off a junked part and mixed with 2 ton syringe epoxy for a quick in-a-pinch fix. No one wants to have a high dollar item get pinged like that and people get tired of hearing it, but it's a "tool". Patch it, scuff it and do some tactical krylon on he spot. If anybody happens to comment on it just reply "you should see the other guy's stock!"

Ozzie "STR" gave you the best solution here. Call McMIllan and have them send you the resin, hardener, carb-o-sil and colors to match. It's not hard to do. Mix 7 to1 Resin to hardener, add some carb-o-sil. Mix well, then separate the mix and add small amount of color to each. Fill the void with base color and add black line to marble. Let dry and sand.

Agreed. When a builder as respected as STR gives me advice, I listen. I was actually wondering about the rest of the void, which is about 3" long. I know I can repair the chipped part without issue, but the rest of the "bubble" is still going to be unsupported and fragile unless I can fill it. Just the obsessive part of me trying to fix what isn't broken (yet). "If it's not broke, fix it 'til it is!" I suppose the easy solution would be to just stop smacking my stock with screwdriver handles.... ;)

Thanks to all the great Hiders who posted! I'll get a patch kit and (if I remember) post a pic of the fixed product. Complementary pic of the rifle pre-bedding/pre-chipping below. Not the prettiest to start with, but it shoots well enough to keep me entertained. :D

dsc6444.jpg

Last edited:
Just a bit of helpful advise on the epoxy mix from McM Bros. READ THE INSTRUCTION, and don't be like me. First, the coloring agent goes a LOOOOONG ways. A tiny, tiny dab will color a lot of epoxy. Second, the stuff needs to cure under a hot light, or it will take days to harden so you can final sand to match the rest of the stock. Thank you.

Just a bit of helpful advise on the epoxy mix from McM Bros. READ THE INSTRUCTION, and don't be like me. First, the coloring agent goes a LOOOOONG ways. A tiny, tiny dab will color a lot of epoxy. Second, the stuff needs to cure under a hot light, or it will take days to harden so you can final sand to match the rest of the stock. Thank you.

Very much appreciated, sir. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help!

i bought a new stock that had never been used and did the same thing. I used marine tex and it blended in very well. I bought it second hand and thought it wasnt their problem so i did what i thought was best and it turned out fine. Good luck

Really!!? How may mcmillans do you have? They make quality products, everybody has a bad spot here and there, give them a chance to make it right.

Well, I guess you told me! By the way, I think that most Hide members were able to infer from the:
Part of my comment that I am not offering expert advice, but simply my opinion. Since you ask, I do not own any McMillan's. However, I do have several factory Remington stocks, and none of them have large defects. No matter how you cut it, the OP has a large defect in his premium semi-custom McMillan stock. Perhaps the defect is repairable, perhaps it is not typical of McMillan's, perhaps it would never effect the function of his rifle, but it is a large defect none-the-less. At the price point of this kind of product, I would be disappointed.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have no reason to doubt McM's customer service. They were nothing but great to me when I had questions about ordering the stock.

A little update: The void/pocket extends .25-.5" forward and about 2" back from the chipped portion, as best I can tell poking in the hole with a wire. This stock is definitely going back.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with McM's repair times? I already had to send my barrel back for about a month, I'd hate to be without a stock for another 1-2 months.

I had a similar situation with one of my stocks. Call McM and they will email you an insured UPS label, box up your stock, and drop it off at UPS. I had mine back in about 2 weeks good as new. McM's customer service is some of the best in the business!

Well, I guess you told me! By the way, I think that most Hide members were able to infer from the:part of my comment that I am not offering expert advice, but simply my opinion. Since you ask, I do not own any McMillan's. However, I do have several factory Remington stocks, and none of them have large defects. No matter how you cut it, the OP has a large defect in his premium semi-custom McMillan stock. Perhaps the defect is repairable, perhaps it is not typical of McMillan's, perhaps it would never effect the function of his rifle, but it is a large defect none-the-less. At the price point of this kind of product, I would be disappointed.

Agreed! This is why people bad mouth B&C stocks, all the air pockets.

As an update, McM sent me a free patch kit (smaller than their small, just enough for a couple repairs). Once I get it, I'll let you guys know how the repair goes. I figure if the rest of the void chips out, I'll fix it when it happens.

As an update, McM sent me a free patch kit (smaller than their small, just enough for a couple repairs). Once I get it, I'll let you guys know how the repair goes. I figure if the rest of the void chips out, I'll fix it when it happens.

i would look into some sort of injectable resin to get down in there to fill the void best you can.

I would mix some epoxy and try to work it in the hole with a small wire prior to fixing the chip.

Just finished sanding down the repair. I'm quite happy with how it turned out! A quick thanks to McM for sending me the free patch kit ("extra small" size; actually quite large). The biggest giveaway for the repaired spot is the fact that there are very small white dots in the new gelcoat. Not sure if this is from the fiber reinforcement or from undissolved Cab-o-Sil, but it's only visible if you know what to look for. Anyways, thanks everyone for the help and advice.

Original:
dsc6451p.jpg

Fixed:
dsc6462s.jpg

"Extra small" patch kit:
dsc6463a.jpg

That's a great repair job...can't tell that it was repaired.

If I didn't have a black stock, I'd look at getting that repair kit

Glad it worked out for you. Did you fill the rest of the void as well?

I followed RADcustom's advice by working as much of the epoxy into the void as I could using a thin wire. I'm hoping that'll provide just a bit more support. That part of the stock isn't usually subject to the same abuse as areas like the forend, so I don't anticipate too much trouble. Either way, McM gave me enough epoxy and die to last me pretty much forever.

Good to hear of solid customer support like this. Always liked McM stocks, this makes me like them even more. Excellent job patching it too, I would have found a way to make it worse if I tried.

FWIW I doubt there's a McMillan stock that isn't patched before it leaves the plant. If you know where to look you can find the fixes. Almost always on the corners like this one, around the pistol grip area. On small patches like that I use resin only, no fillers. It can wet sanded down to match the rest of the stock.