• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

McMillan stocks

tinman52

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2008
Delware
Hi all,

Quick question. Right now I have a 700 5r that needs a new stock. Want to get a MM a5 that is marblized. I've done searches both regular and advanced to look at others combos and haven't come up with a whole lot.

So, if you have one please post and include the percent of the colors? And any suggestions for options. Right now for options I'm thinking spacer system,thumb wheel cheek piece and sniper fill. Pros cons on these.

Thanks

Mike

Re: McMillan stocks

Go the the Photography forum, and check out Mcm A5 picture thread, there are some good examples in there. As far as pros and cons of accessories that you listed, I have never owned a Mcm, and have not used those features.

Speculation here:

Sniper fill-is going to be heavy, so if this weapon is for hunting you might want to consider that.

The adjustable comb would be nice, especially if you have a big objective scope and high rings, better cheek weld.

Spacer system would be nice to adjust length of pull, but I think you could measure out your 90* bend from the crook of you elbow to the trigger finger bent.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I personally think that 60% black with 40% OD looks pretty damn cool. It's up to you. Hope that helps.

Jester

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mntngoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to read here regarding fill weight! so much mis information out there regarding tit!

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...ffi#Post1319785

ML </div></div>

Or Dick Davis of McMillan spread it all out in a previous post:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> There are three basic types of fill we use to fill the stocks here. Our standard or sporter fill is a medium weight glass fill in the action area, and the buttstock is filled with a light foam for recoil reduction.
Magnum fill is a heavy solid glass fill in the action area with the light foam in the butt. Normally used for heavy magnum hunting rifle stocks.
In our tactical rifles it varies wheather we use the medium fill in the action area or the solid glass fill. Depends on caliber or customer requests. <span style="font-weight: bold">What makes it sniper fill is the butts are all filled with a lightweight but solid fiberglass compound to support butt and cheekpiece hardware</span>.
Don't get all wound up in this and start wanting different this and different that. You can ask for whatever you want to ask for but the stocks will be filled one of the above ways.
We give you lots and lots of choices with our stocks such as colors, options, etc. But you don't get to play with our eingeering production standards. It took us a long time to get this all figured out.
Regards, Dick </div></div>

Thanks guys Appreciate it. I'll let you know which way it goes

HI WHAT R U GOING TO DO WITH YOU 5R STOCK,IS THE STOCK AN HS WITH ALUM BED IF SO LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH, GET A MANNER STOCK ......THANKS MIKE

There are different adjustable height cheekpiece systems. Two I've seen are the saddle type (wraps around the sides and top), and the 'cutout' style. This latter style has the cutout cheek support block mounted to the adjustment slide with some sidewise adjustability available, and I find that to be useful for my needs. The saddle type only adjusts up and down.

When I ordered the stacked spacer adjustable LOP butt option, I specified that I have a longer LOP (mine works best at 16.5", I'm 6 1/2 ft tall), and additional spacers were provided to allow that longer LOP.

All in all, I can find nothing to complain about with the McMillan A3 and A5 Tactical stocks I've owned, and I can certainly recommend them highly.

Greg