• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

MDT LSS-XL Gen2 or XLR Element Chassis?

Vodoun daVinci

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Dec 17, 2017
    I'll be upgrading my stock for my Savage 10 FCP-SR 24" in 6.5CM to a chassis. I have shot other actions in both the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 and the XLR Element and find both chassis to be high on my list and within my budget. I'm leaning towards the LSS-XL Gen2 but wanted an XLR Extreme buttstock (just ordered and on the way) and *then* I get a $100 off offer if I spend $500 with XLR!

So now the XLR Element and a few extras I can have for $100 cheaper than the MDT chassis and I am torn.

Which chassis do you guys recommend for a newbie Precision Rifle shooter? Pro's and Con's of either/both chassis is solicited as I have to pull the trigger on the purchase by July 6th to get the $100 break.

Thanks in Advance!

VooDoo

Coming from a biased source here, but I would chose the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 ;) Saving $100 on the XLR is a good deal, but which chassis will you like more and help you Shoot Better? I have been running my XL Gen2 this competition season and I love it! Not to knock the XLR, because those dudes make great products, but I feel that our chassis offers you more bang for your buck.

Comparing features alone:
    Weight - XLR = 1.94 lb, MDT = 1.71 lb
    Available M-Lok - XLR = 15, MDT = 29.5
    Thumbshelf - XLR = No, MDT = Yes
    Ambi Mag latch - XLR = No, MDT = Yes
    Action Bedding - XLR = Mulitpoint radial, MDT = V-Block
    Barricade Stop - XLR = Kinda, MDT = Yes
    Side Bolt release - XLR = No, MDT = yes
    Lead Time - XLR = Up to 5-7 weeks, MDT - Ships this afternoon

I mean, the choice is yours my friend, but feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on the chassis ;)

Dammit. Dammit.

Here's a question....action bedding/mount - V-Block vs "Multipoint radial". V-Block I got. What's the Multipoint Radial action bedding advantage. Any?

I like the fact that the MDT chassis is literally "drop in" tighten two screws and go to the range. I like simple.

VooDoo

The theory behind the multi-point radial cut is that you get more points of contact between your action and the chassis, rather than the two front/back you get with a v-block. According to XLR "A multi-point radial cut inlet allows the receiver to sit in the chassis stress-free for utmost accuracy", but weather that is true or not is up to you. From our testing, we have concluded that the v-block bedding system is sufficient for almost every action (some exceptions include Howa's and Lithgow's which require special bedding) and provides incredible accuracy. I personally have swapped rifles out of factory stocks to our chassis on the range and seen anywhere from 10%-40% accuracy increases (same ammo, scope, bipod, trigger, etc.).

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
    Damn. That was a well structured argument that was respectful of the competition... i am thinking of ordering an xlr as well. Either my second element or an envy. My only concern with the mdt gen 2 is that the bottom of the foreend dosnt apear to have the wide flat bottom like xlr. Admittedly i haven't seen one in person so i am going off pics. And maybe this is a non issue.

Interested to see what you decide. I feel your pain as well

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    I want the MDT but want the XLR Extreme butt stock. Having shot both the XLR Element and the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 (with different actions) I preferred the ergos and feel of the MDT offering but really love that XLR Extreme but stock for the massive adaptability and bigass bottom bag tube. Then again the thumb rest (integral) on the LSS-XL *really* helped me and trigger control.

I guess my waffling is due to the fact that XLR has the Independence Day Sale and I can get the Element chassis and extras (like a M-Lok Picatinny rail for my bipod and a Picatinny mount level) in my hot hands for $400ish.

Normallly $100ish wouldn't sway me from getting my preference but the XLR Element was pretty dang nice. Probably make my decision after more research....

VooDoo

The theory behind the multi-point radial cut is that you get more points of contact between your action and the chassis, rather than the two front/back you get with a v-block. According to XLR "A multi-point radial cut inlet allows the receiver to sit in the chassis stress-free for utmost accuracy", but weather that is true or not is up to you. From our testing, we have concluded that the v-block bedding system is sufficient for almost every action (some exceptions include Howa's and Lithgow's which require special bedding) and provides incredible accuracy. I personally have swapped rifles out of factory stocks to our chassis on the range and seen anywhere from 10%-40% accuracy increases (same ammo, scope, bipod, trigger, etc.).

Love your stocks. What bedding do you recommend with the Howa's and how much of a difference does it make?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Coming from a biased source here, but I would chose the MDT LSS-XL Gen2 ;) Saving $100 on the XLR is a good deal, but which chassis will you like more and help you Shoot Better? I have been running my XL Gen2 this competition season and I love it! Not to knock the XLR, because those dudes make great products, but I feel that our chassis offers you more bang for your buck.

Comparing features alone:

Ambi Mag latch - XLR = No, MDT = Yes

I mean, the choice is yours my friend, but feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on the chassis ;)

So a lever below the trigger guard isn't ambi? :)

I have two MDT LSS-XL gen 2 and two XLR elements.....but all have XLR buttstocks on them. I likely prefer the MDT Gen 2 a hair more but both are plenty serviceable. The MDT is lighter but not terribly so. Hard to go wrong with either.

Love your stocks. What bedding do you recommend with the Howa's and how much of a difference does it make?

Thank you for sharing your experience.
    I would also be interested to hear what bedding is recommended for the Howa's.
    Thanks for the interest guys! As for bedding the Howa's/Weatherby's, it still isn't necessary in our chassis, we just design/manufacture them differently for those actions. With the bottom of those actions being flat (like the old Sako's, Mauser's, Tikka's, etc.) we cannot pull them into a v-block like a round action, so we make sure that when dropped into a chassis, the action sits on controlled surfaces so that the barrel is still free floating, and the action is under no additional stress to produce the best results for the end user :D

We have spent a lot of time with the flat bottom actions and I honestly like them A LOT! The Howa's are generally one of the easiest actions to drop into our chassis and see immediate accuracy gains.

- Josh

I have decided on the MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 as my chassis. I think that for me it will have ergonomics that are more advantageous than saving $100. It's gonna be wearing an XLR Extreme buttstock as I *really* like that 1" sandbag rail on the bottom.

We'll see..... be a couple weeks before I jump on it though. Mama needs to get used to the cash expenditure of the upgrades over a period of weeks. :)

VooDoo

Good idea op. A bit of XLR and MDT combined! Cant beat that. Both are excellent companies and the chassis are top notch.
    XLR was the first chassis I bought and I love em. The only thing I wish they had was a thumb shelf. I cant see myself using a chassis without a thumb shelf or thumb cutout ever since I used my MPA. My friend has an LSS Gen1 and likes it, but wants to try the Gen2 since the Gen2 is pretty much an improvement in every way over the Gen1

Actually that thumb shelf on the MDT offering was the deal breaker for me...that and a few more M-Lok slots to attach and adjust add on's. I ordered and have received the XLR Extreme butt stock and it's awesome ( way awesome!) as is the Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip I ordered. Can't wait to get this stuff mounted on my new chassis and get the action installed.

Really excited to pull the trigger on the MDT chassis....looking for deals on shipping and promo codes but not finding any. I can buy the chassis thru Midway USA and save a few $ on shipping but I really wanted the MDT M-Lok Picatinny rail but they don't offer that at Midway.

Sucks to be on a budget and trying to save $. Even so, I'm getting 90% of what I want at $1000 less than a custom and still I'm shooting 1/2 MOA with the Savage Accustock. Gaad knows where this will go with a proper adjustable pull and cheek rest and the MDT chassis. Single hole groups at 200 yards?

Drooling now.

VooDoo

I cruised MDT's "Chassis Systems" but didn't find anything specifically designed with an inlet for a CZ 550 - Remington, Savage, Tikka, Howa, Ruger American, Lithgow.....

https://mdttac.com/collections/chassis-systems

Any questions I ever asked at MDT was answered quickly and professionally so I'd not hesitate to ask them if one of their chassis fits the action you have. Great bunch of folks at MDT!

VooDoo

Long shot question - do they work for a CZ 550 (308)?
    They posted on one of their Facebook pages a couple of months ago that they did not do one for the cz 550 but might in the future......

Actually that thumb shelf on the MDT offering was the deal breaker for me...that and a few more M-Lok slots to attach and adjust add on's. I ordered and have received the XLR Extreme butt stock and it's awesome ( way awesome!) as is the Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip I ordered. Can't wait to get this stuff mounted on my new chassis and get the action installed.

Really excited to pull the trigger on the MDT chassis....looking for deals on shipping and promo codes but not finding any. I can buy the chassis thru Midway USA and save a few $ on shipping but I really wanted the MDT M-Lok Picatinny rail but they don't offer that at Midway.

Sucks to be on a budget and trying to save $. Even so, I'm getting 90% of what I want at $1000 less than a custom and still I'm shooting 1/2 MOA with the Savage Accustock. Gaad knows where this will go with a proper adjustable pull and cheek rest and the MDT chassis. Single hole groups at 200 yards?

Drooling now.

VooDoo
    Hey VooDoo, thanks for the response! You can order the chassis directly from our site and we'll ship it to to you for minimal shipping costs if you're anywhere in the lower 48 ;) We also ship worldwide, but the costs do get a little higher. Same goes for all of our accessories, and anything else on our site :D

Long shot question - do they work for a CZ 550 (308)?
    We don't do an inlet yet for the CZ 550, but have looked into the 527 a little. As Voodoo and JGR1953 have correctly said, get hold of us (call, email, facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.) and we'll be sure to track what customers want! There is a reason we do chassis for inlets that almost no one else does (Browning X-Bolt, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, etc.)!

Thanks for the interest guys! As for bedding the Howa's/Weatherby's, it still isn't necessary in our chassis, we just design/manufacture them differently for those actions. With the bottom of those actions being flat (like the old Sako's, Mauser's, Tikka's, etc.) we cannot pull them into a v-block like a round action, so we make sure that when dropped into a chassis, the action sits on controlled surfaces so that the barrel is still free floating, and the action is under no additional stress to produce the best results for the end user :D

We have spent a lot of time with the flat bottom actions and I honestly like them A LOT! The Howa's are generally one of the easiest actions to drop into our chassis and see immediate accuracy gains.

- Josh

The reason I asked was you earlier post:

MDT_Josh said:

So now I'm confused. I understood you to say the Howas were exceptions and "require special bedding." Thank you for the clarification.

HOWA special bedding ??
    I guess that I should clarify and say that the Howa's/Weatherby's do not have a v-block in the chassis that we produce for them and will bed on the flat bottom of the action, rather than being sucked down into the "V" like a R700, Savage, Tikka or Ruger. That is what I meant by special bedding :) As for anyone who buys one of our chassis, it's still a drop in fit, tighten the action screws and see results downrange as usual!

I guess that I should clarify and say that the Howa's/Weatherby's do not have a v-block in the chassis that we produce for them and will bed on the flat bottom of the action, rather than being sucked down into the "V" like a R700, Savage, Tikka or Ruger. That is what I meant by special bedding :) As for anyone who buys one of our chassis, it's still a drop in fit, tighten the action screws and see results downrange as usual!

Got it. That's what I thought you meant. To us older guys special bedding means something else.

Thank you for making a quality product. I have Howa actions in three of your ESS's and another for my CZ American on the way.

We don't do an inlet yet for the CZ 550, but have looked into the 527 a little. As Voodoo and JGR1953 have correctly said, get hold of us (call, email, facebook, instagram, twitter, etc.) and we'll be sure to track what customers want! There is a reason we do chassis for inlets that almost no one else does (Browning X-Bolt, Savage Axis, Mossberg Patriot, etc.)!

Thanks for the reply. I received the CZ about 10 years ago and understand it’s an oddball to work with, but it has a story behind it that won’t let me part with it... so the search continues for little ways to improve it.

Thanks for the reply. I received the CZ about 10 years ago and understand it’s an oddball to work with, but it has a story behind it that won’t let me part with it... so the search continues for little ways to improve it.
    H
    I saw a big CZbarreled action at Manners few years back.

Got it. That's what I thought you meant. To us older guys special bedding means something else.

Thank you for making a quality product. I have Howa actions in three of your ESS's and another for my CZ American on the way.
    I didn't think I was that old lol, thanks for the reply. I am looking to get a MDT Chassis this fall. I just got a HOWA 300 barrel action for father days.
    thanks '

I just returned from the range. Howa 6.5 CM 24" heavy barrel in MDT ESS chassis. First time out. Barrel not broken in. No load development. Brass I was ready to scrap. Shot half inch groups.

Edited to add: 110 thou jump to the lands with standard mags. New mags on the way.

I'm a happy camper.

Last edited:
    Fire in The Hole - I ordered my MDT, LSS-XL Gen2 and some goodies (M-Lok rail and a magazine) this evening. Just got back from the range (97 degrees F and 70ish percent humidity!) and managed .755 MOA @ 200 yards with my Savage 10 FCP-SR 6.5CM with a hot barrel after 40 rounds. And I mean hot - too hot to grab. I can touch it but not hold on...mirage was considerable.

I'm gonna use this as a base line and see if my groups shrink when I get the new chassis mounted. I suspect this is a done deal as my current AccuStock is pretty cobbled up with a make shift cheek riser. Really looking forward to my next range session.

I'll shoot some pix and document the transplant and report back on a separate thread about how this all works out. Pretty thrilled at this point. Super thanks to MDT and their Customer Assistance. I'm really impressed as any question I asked had a personalized answer in hours to my email. Some of the best customer support I have encountered.

VooDoo

Xlr envy is also a great option but if it's definitely out of the question, any of the 2 you mentioned are great options...