• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

@MDT_OFFICIAL @Oryx_Official I bought a pair of Howa 1500 barreled actions a couple of years ago, and am building them up with Oryx chassis. They are 24" Varmint barrels in 308 and 300WM. I just received the LA stock and it fits great. It took me longer to find the right size Torx to remove the original trigger guard than it did to install it in the new Oryx stock! I'm just starting to order the other parts, and wanted to make sure I had the magazine information correct:

Howa 1500 SA - works with MDT polymer with no modifications needed, works with metal AICS magazines from MDT and others but may require filing of the front top corners of the magazine in order to seat. Will not work with Magpul PMAGs, as their design is specific to the Remington 700 SA. 22-250 is unusual due to the case taper, and is only recommended to use 4-6 rounds in a 10 rounder. Altering the tilt of the follower might help with 22-250.

Howa 1500 LA - works with MDT polymer and Magpul PMAGs, but may require some fitting on Magpul to seat and feed. Works with metal MDT and other AICS magazines, but might require filing of the front top corners to seat correctly.

Please let me know if I've summarized it correctly, or tell me what part I have wrong!

@MDT_OFFICIAL @Oryx_Official I bought a pair of Howa 1500 barreled actions a couple of years ago, and am building them up with Oryx chassis. They are 24" Varmint barrels in 308 and 300WM. I just received the LA stock and it fits great. It took me longer to find the right size Torx to remove the original trigger guard than it did to install it in the new Oryx stock! I'm just starting to order the other parts, and wanted to make sure I had the magazine information correct:

Howa 1500 SA - works with MDT polymer with no modifications needed, works with metal AICS magazines from MDT and others but may require filing of the front top corners of the magazine in order to seat. Will not work with Magpul PMAGs, as their design is specific to the Remington 700 SA. 22-250 is unusual due to the case taper, and is only recommended to use 4-6 rounds in a 10 rounder. Altering the tilt of the follower might help with 22-250.

Howa 1500 LA - works with MDT polymer and Magpul PMAGs, but may require some fitting on Magpul to seat and feed. Works with metal MDT and other AICS magazines, but might require filing of the front top corners to seat correctly.

Please let me know if I've summarized it correctly, or tell me what part I have wrong!

Basically, except for the polymer/poly metals work without issue, steel does need to be modified. And for 22-250 4 - 6 rounds were optimistic. You need to see what works in your rifle.

3.715" metal magazines are good to go; Magpuls will need to be fitted as they are optimized for Remington 700 rifles.

-Anthony

Reactions: Myrddin Emrys
My Oryx Chassis arrived Yesterday for my Howa 1500.I was wondering why there is No QD hole in the Buttstock? Are there different Versions(Upgrades) produced from time to time?And is it possible to get anywhere a Replacement Part for Exchange that i have this Mounting Option for a QD?!
Thanks for your Help.
Screenshot_20230228-144302~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230228-144250~2.png
    Screenshot_20230228-144250~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75
My Oryx Chassis arrived Yesterday for my Howa 1500.I was wondering why there is No QD hole in the Buttstock? Are there different Versions(Upgrades) produced from time to time?And is it possible to get anywhere a Replacement Part for Exchange that i have this Mounting Option for a QD?!
Thanks for your Help.View attachment 8085675
It's the new version. The QD mount hole is gone, but instead there is the option to attach a QD mount in the m-lok slot under the buttstock.

Reactions: SoldierofFortune1
It's the new version. The QD mount hole is gone, but instead there is the option to attach a QD mount in the m-lok slot under the buttstock.
This is the same thing I was told my MDT when I got 2 oryx chassis in one year, one with the QD slot, the other with the MLok slot on bottom.

I believe the QD slot insert is the older version. If you contact support maybe they can send you one? I was able to get the newer one that way.

Reactions: SoldierofFortune1
I geht in Touch with MDT.I will wait for answer,but i think you are right ITS the newer Version.I will find a Solution to Mount my Sling.Thank you Guys for comments.

Reactions: DGD6MM
Oryx chassis setup: Savage SA with 22XC barrel and Arken EP5 scope

Attachments

• 20220827_130023.jpg
    20220827_130023.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: geek65
Yes, the new version has switched to a single M-Lok slot, so you can run our M-Lok QD sling mount or any M-Lok QD mount to it.

-Anthony

That is really a shame that you did that. I am back to the drawing board looking for a chassis now. I don't want my sling mount on the bottom of the rifle. It is inconceivable to me how that ever seemed like a good idea to eliminate the simple QD mount that was there.

Reactions: Taylorbok
That is really a shame that you did that. I am back to the drawing board looking for a chassis now. I don't want my sling mount on the bottom of the rifle. It is inconceivable to me how that ever seemed like a good idea to eliminate the simple QD mount that was there.
Drill a hole in the sides where they used to have them and install a QD for your sling. It’s a tool, modify it to your needs.

Drill a hole in the sides where they used to have them and install a QD for your sling. It’s a tool, modify it to your needs.

I'm not going to do that. Drilling a hole that big in a chunk of metal is something that should be done in a production facility, not someone's garage. A simple sling mount on both sides is a feature every stock should have. And one this had until a pointless redesign to subtract a feature.

Do you have a buddy with a drill press? That would be easy peasy. Epoxy the QD cups in and you’re GTG.

Do you have a buddy with a drill press? That would be easy peasy. Epoxy the QD cups in and you’re GTG.

I'm familiar with the procedure and what it would take to do it. I'm simply not willing to add a simple feature that they subtracted from their product for no reason. I don't know why they don't just offer the aluminum piece that had the QD attachment in it as an accessory if they don't want to include it. I'm going to use another chassis system that accepts AR stocks; virtually all of them have sling mounts or they can be added without drilling holes in something expensive and relying on epoxy.

Reactions: JerkyFreak
168gr Scenar 5 x shot´s at 100-meters, with suppressor on.
Extremely heavy mirage on the sight picture, had shot over 20 rounds at once.
No scope cover, and meopta scope :D
With ZCO i think i could done 1/3 MOA.
SCENAR.jpg

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
Anybody have photos of the buttstock with the rear panels removed?

Wondering how the metal construction looks under there…