• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

First bit: Several chassis options can do something like this. Have it come with the insert for 3.715 and be removable for 3.850 mags; it seems that the 3.850 capable actions all cut forward instead of both directions.
Second bit: I’m super curious how many people are buying a chassis for their Remington 700 vs buying a chassis for customs/clones/etc. I’m also somewhat curious about the breakdowns of which clone actions are going into chassis systems, but R700 vs clone for people who do more than shoot a deer at 30yd every other year is super relevant to *gestures at the industry*.
Understood, it is something we have looked into, and maybe one day we will offer this feature, but it would likely be done in a different fashion.

If you ever find an accurate representation of this, send it over since it's not something that is easy to find out. But, based on what we've seen and the target audience of Oryx, it is meant to be an easier product to get into. What you are describing are more features you will find on MDT chassis systems, so it might be a worthwhile look for yourself!

-Anthony

Reactions: gnochi
Understood, it is something we have looked into, and maybe one day we will offer this feature, but it would likely be done in a different fashion.

If you ever find an accurate representation of this, send it over since it's not something that is easy to find out. But, based on what we've seen and the target audience of Oryx, it is meant to be an easier product to get into. What you are describing are more features you will find on MDT chassis systems, so it might be a worthwhile look for yourself!

-Anthony
That would be super awesome to see, and if I see it I'll share it. I honestly think you guys are better placed to get the data than most people - "Optional: Please enter exactly which action you plan on using with this chassis __________" on the order page.

That would be super awesome to see, and if I see it I'll share it. I honestly think you guys are better placed to get the data than most people - "Optional: Please enter exactly which action you plan on using with this chassis __________" on the order page.
For sure, but trust me, if you've never worked in the gun industry that is a great way to make people feel super uncomfortable which is too bad since it would be great information to know.

-Anthony

Reactions: gnochi
Little tricky to do, tbh. The flush cup would require a mold change to the plastic components and design change to the metal.
So is the Mauser 18 LR chassis the future plan for the Oryx? It comes with thumb screws for the cheek rest, pic rail for monopod, and a elongated forearm with flush cups on both sides. I'm asking because if this is the future plan for Oryx, i want to know when the change over will be made. If its in the near future ill wait to order mine so as i get these features out of the box.
1rpj87.jpg

h6wvrk.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
So is the Mauser 18 LR chassis the future plan for the Oryx? It comes with thumb screws for the cheek rest, pic rail for monopod, and a elongated forearm with flush cups on both sides. I'm asking because if this is the future plan for Oryx, i want to know when the change over will be made. If its in the near future ill wait to order mine so as i get these features out of the box.

The Mauser M18 chassis is a custom OEM design and there are no plans to update the Oryx for these features at this time.

-Anthony

EDIT: Attempted to make it sound less aggressive.

Last edited:
The Mauser M18 chassis is a custom OEM design and there are no plans to update the Oryx for these features at this time.

-Anthony

EDIT: Attempted to make it sound less aggressive.
its cool, (not a snowflake), no harm done. Was kinda hoping though. Seeing as clearly the the tooling for this already exist. But thanks for the quick response. If the weather here in southeast texas would ever clear up (own a tree service) ill place my order. thanks.

its cool, (not a snowflake), no harm done. Was kinda hoping though. Seeing as clearly the the tooling for this already exist. But thanks for the quick response. If the weather here in southeast texas would ever clear up (own a tree service) ill place my order. thanks.
I didn't think so, but the original message was pretty bad once I re-read it, I needed more coffee, obviously! The main issue with that is the $399.00 price which was our main goal with Oryx; once those features get added, you would have to either cut features or raise the price, and it becomes such a fine balancing act. In this case, with it being custom, it's a different price point, and Mauser was able to offset that in their pricing for the complete rifle.

Sounds good; we look forward to seeing the order!

-Anthony

I didn't think so, but the original message was pretty bad once I re-read it, I needed more coffee, obviously! The main issue with that is the $399.00 price which was our main goal with Oryx; once those features get added, you would have to either cut features or raise the price, and it becomes such a fine balancing act. In this case, with it being custom, it's a different price point, and Mauser was able to offset that in their pricing for the complete rifle.

Sounds good; we look forward to seeing the order!

-Anthony
just placed my order, thanks again.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
We did update to include the M-LOK slot so you could use an M-LOK bag rider on the current production chassis
I bought mine in April and do not have that mlok slot on the rear for a bag rider.

Also..I bought a newer MDT 308/6.5 polymer mag a few weeks ago, looks like its a single stack compared to the original one I bought in april, it feeds and loads a lot smoother (no wear marks on it), however, the overall height is pretty close to the grip..which makes loading in some positions (like 45 degree bipod legs forward) not really possible without rotating the rifle..not the worst issue but still a pain after setting up to shoot, then going to load the mag, and basically having to reset the rifle position after.

Last edited:
I bought mine in April and do not have that mlok slot on the rear for a bag rider.
well hell
I just placed my order July 22, 2021, so i hope it get here soon. I really hope that slot is present on mine. If not it's just more machining i'll need to do to fit my needs.

Also..I bought a newer MDT 308/6.5 polymer mag a few weeks ago, looks like its a single stack compared to the original one I bought in april, it feeds and loads a lot smoother (no wear marks on it), however, the overall height is pretty close to the grip..which makes loading in some positions (like 45 degree bipod legs forward) not really possible without rotating the rifle..not the worst issue but still a pain after setting up to shoot, then going to load the mag, and basically having to reset the rifle position after.

Yes, it's a rolling change and hasn't been fully completed yet. Yes, we increased the length of the polymer magazines as the original ones were eight-round magazine. When we went to Gen 2 we did stiffen up the side walls which make it a 1.5 round stack.

well hell
I just placed my order July 22, 2021, so i hope it get here soon. I really hope that slot is present on mine. If not it's just more machining i'll need to do to fit my needs.

It should be; however, with it being a rolling change, there isn't any guarantee. The popular inlets (Remington, Tikka, Savage SA, Savage Axis SA, and Ruger American) and you will be good to go.

So uh, anything we should takeaway from the chassis now being called Oryx Beisa? Got anything working for the other three oryxes?

Yes, it's a rolling change and hasn't been fully completed yet. Yes, we increased the length of the polymer magazines as the original ones were eight-round magazine. When we went to Gen 2 we did stiffen up the side walls which make it a 1.5 round stack.
my original "gen 2" was also a 10 rounder, from legacy sports, they called it a gen 2 at least. The new one I bought is definitely a better fit, is there a difference between the MDT gen 2 and the oryx website's gen 2?

So uh, anything we should takeaway from the chassis now being called Oryx Beisa? Got anything working for the other three oryxes?

Nothing really, Oryx was always the company name, not the chassis name, but we never decided on the name, so now we've actually started identifying the chassis.

my original "gen 2" was also a 10 rounder, from legacy sports, they called it a gen 2 at least. The new one I bought is definitely a better fit, is there a difference between the MDT gen 2 and the oryx website's gen 2?

No, there is only one Gen 2 polymer magazine. I'm not sure what had identified them as. However, from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 transition, we removed the taper on the magazine, which made the polymers a bit easier to remove.

-Anthony

Reactions: RedDirtRifleman
Nothing really, Oryx was always the company name, not the chassis name, but we never decided on the name, so now we've actually started identifying the chassis.

No, there is only one Gen 2 polymer magazine. I'm not sure what had identified them as. However, from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 transition, we removed the taper on the magazine, which made the polymers a bit easier to remove.

-Anthony
Is there any advantage to using the metal mags at that point? any comparison specs in overall height/size? One 3/4 of the height of this new Gen 2 mag would be perfect.

Not complaining either way, just curious. I just ordered another oryx chassis, last night from your website, for the Tikka t1x I just picked up from cabelas. I dont even plan on shooting it with the factory tikka stock. Going to be building a proper 22 trainer.

Is there any advantage to using the metal mags at that point? any comparison specs in overall height/size? One 3/4 of the height of this new Gen 2 mag would be perfect.

Not complaining either way, just curious. I just ordered another oryx chassis, last night from your website, for the Tikka t1x I just picked up from cabelas. I dont even plan on shooting it with the factory tikka stock. Going to be building a proper 22 trainer.
It's all personal preference. Steel no-binder magazine can run up to 2.960", so if you require a COAL over 2.870", then that would be the main advantage. Our 10 round steel magazines are around 3/4" shorter than the polymers.

-Anthony

It's all personal preference. Steel no-binder magazine can run up to 2.960", so if you require a COAL over 2.870", then that would be the main advantage. Our 10 round steel magazines are around 3/4" shorter than the polymers.

-Anthony
I ask because Legacy said the fit on the metal mags was not great, when I ordered my first Oryx, and convinced me to get the polymer instead.

I ask because Legacy said the fit on the metal mags was not great, when I ordered my first Oryx, and convinced me to get the polymer instead.
Yes, with a Howa 1500 you will run into issues with the steel magazines as the Howa is flat, and steel magazines are meant for round actions. You can always mod a steel magazine to work though.

-Anthony

Figured this is worth sharing.

If you're in a situation where you need buttstock spacers AND plan on running a bag rider. the Jamer LLC rear rider for the Oryx is the width of 2 of the buttstock spacers. My earlier Oryx does not have the MLOK slot in the bottom of the rear, so the Jamer option is the only option for a rear bag rider. My new oryx does have the factory MLOK slot, so I'm going to try the MDT MLOK rear bag rider. I already have spacers from my original one, that I took out, because of the Jamer bag rider, which means I dont have to buy another set of spacers this time around for my second chassis.

Last edited:

It should be; however, with it being a rolling change, there isn't any guarantee. The popular inlets (Remington, Tikka, Savage SA, Savage Axis SA, and Ruger American) and you will be good to go.
well it came in today with some other goodies. AND THE M-LOK SLOT IS PRESET woohoo. now to order this for it
Looks like i'll be ordering the black panels. Next i'll be taking it to a machine shop to have the magwell opened up to 3.85 CIP for my 110 FCP in 300 PRC and have my bipod spigot embedded into the end of the forearm. Its super comfortable and will be perfect when i get it back from the machine shop. I love the looks far more than i thought i would.
swfa 10x just there for mock up. haven't decided on glass yet.
prr0o4.jpg

xkwp00.jpg

Sent a message already, but the only issue i've run into with my custom set up, is the magazine catch is to short. The magazine needs to be held higher/deeper into the magazine well to properly feed ammo. Hopefully MDT/ORYX will send me one that is to long so i can fit it to my rifle. Past that, the oryx CAN be machined out to fit 3.85 CIP magazines. It ALMOST touches a screw that holds the lower magwell to the chassis. Anyway, photo and info time.

started as a savage 110FCP in 300 PRC with the HS Precision stock.
Now it's
Oryx
Black panels for oryx
LOP spacers for oryx
Fortmeier H210 bipod
versa pod 150-108 spigot embedded/bolted into forend
Sako S20 Monopod S588207331 (oryx had factory M-LOK slot in rear)
Thumb knobs for cheek rest.
ERGO 4035 grip.

4ux3xy.jpg

v7sp7z.jpg

pylrjc.jpg

s4qgoz.jpg

qztwqw.jpg

2ugb25.jpg

d1piaq.jpg

0d0oyo.jpg

(EDIT) Current set up. Using a warne skyline 34mm medium mount and Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 MOA, and adjustable but pad mod, and a much much improved muzzle brake (gunbloke tanker 2)
nqywx7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyg and geek65
Anyone wanting one of these chassis, check this out. I sent an email to them, informing them that my mag catch was to short. Even though i have custom machined the chassis, they without question sent me the following
dowel pin for mag catch
+1mm catch
+2mm catch
+3mm catch
mag catch spring
100% free to me. No that is awesome service.

Copy and past of final email

Thank you for confirming, Nathan. The order has been placed, I have added 3 different sizes for you to try and see which one works best for you. Once it has been packed and shipped out, you will receive an email with the tracking information.

Your build is looking great! We are glad to hear you are enjoying your chassis and please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. Take care!
Regards
Paige Koster
MDT customer support

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
We're happy to help with anything you may need; we are always here for whatever!

Without our awesome customers, we wouldn't have a great job to come to every day. We hope you enjoy the chassis!

-Anthony

Has anyone with an Oryx chassis tried to see if a KRG Tool-less buttpad could be modified to fit the Oryx?
wonder which one would be the closest match to the shape of the stock. If someone could answer that, id buy one and mod it. Been looking all day at adjustable butt pads to find one to mod. Didn't see this one at all but i like it.

wonder which one would be the closest match to the shape of the stock. If someone could answer that, id buy one and mod it. Been looking all day at adjustable butt pads to find one to mod. Didn't see this one at all but i like it.
Right here in this very threat post # 850, 852, 853

Right here in this very threat post # 850, 852, 853
I seen those post, dont care for the lack of recoil pad the Ruger setup has. I was talking about the KRG product. If you look at the link above its offered for more than one of their setups and i'm sure they are all a bit different. Never handled one in person but i can tell from the photo there is atleast a recoil pad there, not just a thin piece of rubber. Main reason i didn't go that route. Also in his photos its equal to 5 MDT LOP spacers. Im 6'5" and 4 spacers is on the longer side, making a compromise between offhand and prone. could probably make it work, but would 100% eliminate any possibility of a recoil pad upgrade to the ruger setup.

Just trying to help, I'm 6' 5" and it fits perfect. Also it's a Pachmeyer recoil pad, nothing to do with ruger.

forgot to take this photo. For anyone wanting 3.85 CIP magazine in the oryx. Here is mine milled out. Comes close to the screw that holds the lower magwell to the chassis. Not a big deal as your rifles action screw is also holding it all together. But this screw survives the modification.
2q553l.jpg

forgot to take this photo. For anyone wanting 3.85 CIP magazine in the oryx. Here is mine milled out. Comes close to the screw that holds the lower magwell to the chassis. Not a big deal as your rifles action screw is also holding it all together. But this screw survives the modification.
2q553l.jpg
Nice! And yes, you will get close to the screw, but since it a 10-32X0.5" you could also find anything that is a bit lower profile and to be honest, that screw is primarily there to keep the bottom metal onto the upper chassis in the box, once the action screws are installed they sandwich everything together as well.

-Anthony

Reactions: Nathantc
Magazine catch, swapped out. Required the longest of the 3, then filed down a bit. Keep in mind the ones they send are shorter on the thumb side than the original. Still functional but less thumb engagement nonetheless. Thanks again MDT for the wonderful customer service.

We're happy to help with anything you may need; we are always here for whatever!

Without our awesome customers, we wouldn't have a great job to come to every day. We hope you enjoy the chassis!

-Anthony
MDT service truly is phenomenal and I am a customer for life now. I currently own 2 oryx chassis and cant wait to try the other products in the future. Within this price point, I dont think anything else delivers even remotely close to the value as the ORYX.

I ordered side FDE panels from academy, and I guess there has been a minor design change since in the Oryx rear. The older design had multiple thin alignment tabs on the rear colored panels. The new one only uses 1 tab.

I ended up returning the ones from academy (the radius on the cut outs was a little too thin and wouldnt allow the cheek riser posts to move). I was going to dremel it out myself but the amount of material in that area is pretty slim, which doesnt allow for room for error, so I returned them instead. I re-ordered the replacement direct from MDT/Oryx. The rep I dealt with regarding the issue apologized after and mentioned that the rear panels were still the older design, and discounted the order because of it. I was able to resolve the locking tab issue by snipping the extra tabs off with wire cutters.

After asking if there was anything else he could do, I mentioned not being too happy about getting "old stock" for my first oryx chassis, which was missing the MLOK mount in the rear, despite me ordering both of them less than 3 months apart. To address that, they offered to ship me the updated rear piece, with MLOK mounts.

Here is the long action savage in 300 PRC with a 3.85 CIP magazine length, and modified ejector (solves jamming just before fully entering chamber) feeding 100%. So that is custom work to the chassis, and the wonderful magazine catches and spring, as well as the MUST HAVE alignment pin for instal MDT sent me to get this project rolling.

Here is the long action savage in 300 PRC with a 3.85 CIP magazine length, and modified ejector (solves jamming just before fully entering chamber) feeding 100%. So that is custom work to the chassis, and the wonderful magazine catches and spring, as well as the MUST HAVE alignment pin for instal MDT sent me to get this project rolling.

Fantastic, glad to hear it; any the install dowel makes it way easier, that is for sure, but you can also accomplish the same thing with just about anything 1/8" in diameter and a 1/2" long. Q tips, dowels, etc., anything to hold the spring in place while the new pin is driven in.

-Anthony

now THIS is really going to help. Now i can get into a natural COMFORTABLE position behind the rifle without having to adjust my neck and shoulder to compensate to the rifle. I can also keep the recoil impulse in a direct straight line with the bore when in prone now. Before hand only the upper corner of the but pad landed low on my body making the rifle kinda want to go under me during recoil.
wcoma2.jpg

g93y02.jpg

5l6khw.jpg

b8etz7.jpg

l3zvg0.jpg

Ordered this from the Czech Republic. Its universal and would be extremely easy to use any recoil pad you like, on any rifle you want to attach it to. I will be upgrading my recoil pad to something thicker, and softer. When i do the spacers you see in the photos (came with the product) will be removed to compensate thickness. This thing is beautifully machined and finished. well worth the $125 shipped it cost me. I just might be cutting my boyds pro varmint stocks down to compensate for this on both of them.

EDIT
here is this piece compared to the MDT spacer thickness for reference

1vcs2h.jpg

94itvb.jpg

nqywx7.jpg

Last edited:
While at a local gun shop I saw a Tikka CTR in an Oryx chassis, using the original Tikka CTR mags. The guys at the gunshop weren't really sure of what mods had been made but assured me it worked perfectly. Has anybody on here tried combining the CTR mags with the Oryx chassis?

While at a local gun shop I saw a Tikka CTR in an Oryx chassis, using the original Tikka CTR mags. The guys at the gunshop weren't really sure of what mods had been made but assured me it worked perfectly. Has anybody on here tried combining the CTR mags with the Oryx chassis?
I tried, they didn’t fit. Different sized inlet from what I remember. Not sure if it requires dremeling or what but there’s no advantage to it unless you already have a bunch of tikka mags. Mdt mags can be had for half the price or less.

@MDT_OFFICIAL I see on the website now that there is a Howa long action with the option of 3.850 mag inlet, assume that makes those good to go with the Howa 1500 300 PRC options out there?

@MDT_OFFICIAL I see on the website now that there is a Howa long action with the option of 3.850 mag inlet, assume that makes those good to go with the Howa 1500 300 PRC options out there?
Yes, that is correct, but that inlet has been out for close to a year now.

-Anthony

Reactions: ChrisAU
now THIS is really going to help. Now i can get into a natural COMFORTABLE position behind the rifle without having to adjust my neck and shoulder to compensate to the rifle. I can also keep the recoil impulse in a direct straight line with the bore when in prone now. Before hand only the upper corner of the but pad landed low on my body making the rifle kinda want to go under me during recoil.
wcoma2.jpg

This is looks pretty good. I may just have to research this myself!

• Love
Reactions: Nathantc
Digging this up to ask if the sling swivel stud on the oryx site can be used in conjunction with the Arca forend?

Looks like the screw nearest to the muzzle on the Arca forend uses the hole that the swivel stud would normally occupy and thus are the same threads as the sling stud. Maybe if the threads are long enough on the stud adapter it can still be used through the Arca forend and into the actual chassis forend?? Arca forend would still be secured by 4 more screws and this rifle doesn't weigh a ton.

I wanted the Arca for occasional hunting, but also like the added weight for general plinking. Definitely also still want to use a Harris without buying pricey RRS and Area419 clamps adapters if possible.

Thanks.

Digging this up to ask if the sling swivel stud on the oryx site can be used in conjunction with the Arca forend?

Looks like the screw nearest to the muzzle on the Arca forend uses the hole that the swivel stud would normally occupy and thus are the same threads as the sling stud. Maybe if the threads are long enough on the stud adapter it can still be used through the Arca forend and into the actual chassis forend?? Arca forend would still be secured by 4 more screws and this rifle doesn't weigh a ton.

I wanted the Arca for occasional hunting, but also like the added weight for general plinking. Definitely also still want to use a Harris without buying pricey RRS and Area419 clamps adapters if possible.

Thanks.
The thread isn't long enough to run it.

-Anthony

The thread isn't long enough to run it.

-Anthony
For anyone else trying to accomplish the same, I was able to cannibalize the swivel stud from my factory T1X stock and the threads matched the Oryx, and were long enough to engage the chassis, secure the Arca, and still work for a Harris

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_152116_01.jpg
    IMG_20220121_152116_01.jpg
    683.1 KB · Views: 801