• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MDT Oryx Chassis

If not, what style of aics mag? There seems to be a butt load of aics mags.

@MDT_Josh Just went through this thread and last time I see you mentioning the side panel colors you mentioned green, but that was well over a month ago. The website is showing grey panels.

Inventory issue, website issue, or change in design? Just looking for some clarification and wondering what will actually be received.

Also, kudos to you guys for this!

The side panels will be OD Green on all the first run of chassis :) We will offer FDE and grey side panels (they are back-orderable on the website now) and probably more colours in the future! The banner image on the site right now is all greyscale, so I apologize for any confusion.

Any longer range plan for a left hand Rem 700SA? Have a home for one, maybe two, certain.

Yes, they don't have a release date yet, but we will be working on them soon-ish!

Is the Savage SA compatible with the savage bottom bolt release, and does it accept aics mags?

Yes and yes. All Oryx and MDT chassis are compatible with the bottom bolt release Savages and they will all work with AICS pattern magazines.

Really got my eye on one. Does it come with a mag?

Awesome to hear! Unfortunately no, there is no magazine included as we don't know what caliber you guys will be running in them!

Love all the questions from you guys, keep them coming!

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
I've listed my KRG with plans to buy the MDT.
unless you want to provide a T&E forever model :)

Reactions: MDT_Josh
If you’re taking requests, set up the LH for AICS mags, if able, as a lead in to Gen 2. Running an LH ESS 6.5CM, as we speak, and pretty pleased with fit/finish. Be great to use same mags in both.

Sorry for beating this question. I've got a remington 700 sa chambered in 6.5cm. I can use the mdt 5, 10 and 12 round metal mags. Correct?

Way cool. Thanks for your time and help. If everything works out, next Friday I will be ordering an oryx and a couple of mags!

Next stupid question. When you go to the oryx website, how do you order metal mags. I can see where you order polymer mags. Do you have to make 2 orders? One from the oryx website and the other from the mdt home website?

I would think the 700 SA would work with the Vudoo action and maybe a repeater modded 40X. Volunteers?

The Vudoo V22 will drop right into any chassis inletted for the R700 SA RH, however our magwells are a little tighter and may need to be slightly opened up on the front to function correctly with the magazines.

With regard to rimfire, I was told that the T1X fits the Tikka chassis using T1X mag and bottom metal.
I have a T1X, and I don’t think this is true for any Tikka chassis that is setup for AICS magazines.

The Tikka SA chassis that we (and others) make will not work with the T1x without modification to clear the magwell retaining screw, however, our LA chassis might (without modification). We are just waiting for our T1x to arrive to test this theory out :)

How thick of a barrel will the chassis accept? Not sure if this is the correct terminology...Forward of the recoil lug, (shank) what barrel width will be OK. I'm looking at a straight taper Bartlein and it is 1.200 for the first 5"

Okay, so today I recorded a podcast with MDT and Howa and they let me know about the Oryx Chassis

Oryx Chassis Website

This chassis system will come in at $399 and hits a lot of marks for the money.

oryx-chassis-full-vertical_1.jpg

oryx-chassis-hero-on-rocks_2.jpg
This looks like a great, high value option.

The Vudoo V22 will drop right into any chassis inletted for the R700 SA RH, however our magwells are a little tighter and may need to be slightly opened up on the front to function correctly with the magazines.

The Tikka SA chassis that we (and others) make will not work with the T1x without modification to clear the magwell retaining screw, however, our LA chassis might (without modification). We are just waiting for our T1x to arrive to test this theory out :)

I'm eagerly awaiting your findings. This chassis would be perfect for my T1x. Just as an FYI, I've seen several people fit the T1x into the XLR Element with minor modification to the T1x action and not the chassis (and it accepts AICS mags). I've also seen one in an MPA BA Comp with minor modification to the chassis. I'd prefer not to make much modification, so I'll wait.

Reactions: 0dd and MDT_Josh
@MDT_Josh
Some M-LOK slots on sides (not just the underside) of that forend would be great. Any chance there might be such an upgrade version in the future?

How thick of a barrel will the chassis accept? Not sure if this is the correct terminology...Forward of the recoil lug, (shank) what barrel width will be OK. I'm looking at a straight taper Bartlein and it is 1.200 for the first 5"

I think we're going to update this on the site pretty soon, but all Oryx's will accept up to 1.25" barrels at the muzzle. I wouldn't recommend going that large persay, as you may get some forend flex if on a bipod, but it's your call :)

Any idea how these will work with a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel?
What mags would work?

I have shot an Oryx in 6.5 Grendel and it worked great! They are designed to use the factory, OEM magazines that come with the rifle.

@MDT_Josh
Some M-LOK slots on sides (not just the underside) of that forend would be great. Any chance there might be such an upgrade version in the future?

That was a design consideration that came up when we first started the project, but we rarely find anyone uses them, so we decided to omit them from the Oryx. it may be something we add later, but no plans yet.

I think we're going to update this on the site pretty soon, but all Oryx's will accept up to 1.25" barrels at the muzzle. I wouldn't recommend going that large persay, as you may get some forend flex if on a bipod, but it's your call :)

I have shot an Oryx in 6.5 Grendel and it worked great! They are designed to use the factory, OEM magazines that come with the rifle.

That was a design consideration that came up when we first started the project, but we rarely find anyone uses them, so we decided to omit them from the Oryx. it may be something we add later, but no plans yet.

Need a flush cup on each side then.

Need a flush cup on each side then.
While it would be nice Im not sure "need" and a 400 buck chassis full up go together.

Ive never once used the flush cups I dropped extra money to outfit my krg chassis with. The only time I used flushcups on my manners minichassis was when I ran a thermal on it and normal sling swivels would have served just as well. I can carry the rifle in my arms for the 50 yards in between stages.

Id rather have a 400 buck chassis than a 500 buck chassis with stuff I wont use on it.

(Now if they can be incorporated with no price increase then Im all for it! Dont think Im against flush cups, just trying to keep the budget minded stuff budget minded knowing that extra manufacturing steps arent free)

Reactions: alwaywatchyoursix
I've often wondered why side mount flush cups anyways? Are you guys carrying a 10-15 lb. rifle like a carbine?

Am I missing something?

I've often wondered why side mount flush cups anyways? Are you guys carrying a 10-15 lb. rifle like a carbine?

Am I missing something?

For me I prefer side mount flush cups than traditional bottom side sling swivels for two reasons. 1. my rear sling mount point doesn't interfere with my rear bag and get all hung up. 2. When I am hunting and slinging my rifle having the left side of the rifle against my back (right hand bolt) keeps my shoulder from getting jabbed by my bipod mount while humping thru rough terrain. Just my reasons for having side sling mounts.

I wouldn't recommend going that large persay, as you may get some forend flex if on a bipod, but it's your call :)

It looks like the oryx is primarily a single aluminum block along it's entire length. My lack of experience with different chassis is probably showing here but in what way would it flex with that type of metal structure? (I.e. longitudinal, torsional, etc)

It looks like the oryx is primarily a single aluminum block along it's entire length. My lack of experience with different chassis is probably showing here but in what way would it flex with that type of metal structure? (I.e. longitudinal, torsional, etc)

The Oryx is essentially one, stock piece of aluminum that we have machined down to fit the rifle, attach the buttstock and "bottom metal", you are correct. The flex that you will encounter, and this is true amongst pretty much any chassis and stock, comes from heavier barreled actions supported by a mechanical rest (bipod, monopod, etc.) or bags in the front and rear.

To simplify, you have a heavy mass (barreled action and scope) that is primarily supported by the centre section of your stock/chassis, but the load of that mass (in the chassis/stock) is then resting on the front and rear portions causing bending moments about the two points that it is resting on. No matter how stiff you make your chassis/stock, you will always have some degree of flex (your chassis/stock will look kind of like a banana (exaggerated to make a point) when viewed from a side profile) which will only get worse the heavier you make your barreled action/scope setup.

As shooters love to put heavy barrels in chassis/stocks (myself included!) we are constantly having to keep that in mind during design and remembering to open up the barrel channel for those who want to run action-diameter/no taper barrels, and such, we have to remove a considerable amount of material. By shortening up the forend, you can bring the two resting points closer together and minimise your forend flex, however, you then lose performance (shorter mounting surface for accessories, less available arca/pic rails, less area for internal forend weights on the ACC). It is a constant juggle, but something all aftermarket stock/chassis manufacturers have to deal with :)

I apologize if this has been answered. For a Howa 1500 short action, do you have to use MDT polymer mags or can you use Magpul AICS mags?
Thanks

The website needs updating to reflect the full range of MDT magazines, I am also confused as to how the MDT website has the polymer mags in stock and the oryx chassis site has them as out of stock.

Today is the day. Got the money. Are you offering any specials or discounts to hide members?

The Oryx for most inlets can use metal magazines, however, some are limited to polymer (Howa 1500 SA and Howa mini).
Why are MDT chassis for the Howa inletted for plastic mags? The chassis my HCR came with functions with metal AI mags. Mine came with an Accurate Mag.

Why are MDT chassis for the Howa inletted for plastic mags? The chassis my HCR came with functions with metal AI mags. Mine came with an Accurate Mag.

Yes, our current design on the Oryx is for the use of our polymer magazines only. You can modify the chassis or metal magazines to function in the Oryx, but they are not drop in compatible.

Yes, our current design on the Oryx is for the use of our polymer magazines only. You can modify the chassis or metal magazines to function in the Oryx, but they are not drop in compatible.
Only the MDT polymer mags? Will it not work with the Magpul polymer mags?