• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Meal Replacement Diets

Blackjack988

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Woodbridge, NJ
I'm overweight and need to lose around 60LBS by next October (wedding). I'm already going to the gym for weight training and cardio 3 times a week for the past 4-5 weeks but have yet to see any results likely due to my piss-poor diet. Aside from the usual portion control and drinking more water (haven't touched soda in months and drink about 4 liters of H2O a day), I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to help lose weight faster. My cousin who is at least twice my size in all directions hawks Isagenix and seems to be showing real results and fast.

Anyone use any/know if they're any good? I've always had the impression that they're mostly non-sustainable and someone who loses weight on one needs to stay on it constantly or risk a relapse.

True weight loose takes times. Its not going to happen over night. I would advise to stay away from crash diets and meal replacement plans. For me weight watchers has worked great. The first week of 2013 I weighed 278 pounds and started following weight watchers plan. I didn't join or go to meetings I just followed there plan and wrote every thing down I ate and how many points it was. There is tons of free information out there and diet calculators on line and apps. After 52 weeks I hit my goal weight of 198 and am just trying to maintain in 2014. Today I weigh in at 188. It is a lifestyle change and takes some getting use to but it is not hard at all. I don't go hungry and actually probably eat more now than I did before.

Ever wonder why diets are a cottage industry in America?

Ever look at random photos of people in random places from decades back? Notice there aren't a lot of fat people in those photos? Notice that depending on which decade you are looking at, it is rare to see morbidly obese people? Contrast that to today.

We live in a society that wants everything to be easier, faster, and cheaper. On a personal level we want it to be fun, enjoyable, painless, quick, and simple. The food industry wants profit. As a result they view it plainly -> high yield crop, low bidder, carbs are cheap, add LOTS of sodium and sugar, add LOTs of engineered chemicals to artificially enhance the taste (to lower component costs), trick the brain into continuing to eat well after the point of satiation (so as to increase sales); and extend shelf life (avoid spoilage).

The very first thing we should all do is become educated about what is in the foods that we eat, come to understand what are healthy ratios of not just carbs / fat / protein / fiber - but of sugar / salt / dairy. Then understand that your health is YOUR responsibility and that takes WORK. In short - if you want to eat processed 'diet' meals (crap) you're still eating processed crap AND you're still not accomplishing the real goal - weight loss and a better life through a healthy diet and exercise.

If you have until next October (2015) you have all the time you could need and more. Learn to cook healthy meals and look to eliminate processed sugar and carbs right off the bat. Stop eating: bread / tortillas / pitas / pizza /pancakes / pasta / etc; as well as any form of processed sugars including but not limited to: soft drinks / syrup in coffee / refined sugar / sauces / jelly / flavored yogurt / ice cream; and knock out as much dairy as you can as well. Replace the processed complex carbs with simple carbs - sweet potato, yam, potato, beans. Replace the sugar with fruits or honey.

Just start with changing what you eat - not even how much you eat (at first). If you are really eating clean, heathy food - eat as much as you want. Try to eat 5 small meals a day instead of a couple of big ones. Try to drink @ 100 - 128 oz of water a day. Try to get a little exercise 3 days a week. Then after a few weeks make a few more changes - don't eat after 8:00 pm - ever. Try to get a little more exercise. Try to eat 3/4s of your then current portion size. While you safely loose up to @ 2.5#s a week without loosing muscle - don't focus on the #s/ time. Instead focus on what you want to become and the role that both a healthy diet and exercise play in that. Also - give yourself the grace to fail, but also have the strength to pick it right back up with renewed commitment.

Last thought - if you eat like shit and are a fatass - the odds are your wife (and kids) will be too. Part of being a man, a good husband, a good father is to lead. If you lead the charge - plan the meals, do the shopping, do the cooking - eventually it becomes the pattern, which becomes the lifestyle. Now everyone under the same roof is on the same page with respect to heathy meal choices and the role that it plays in not only how we look, but how we feel, and how we perform.

True weight loose takes times. Its not going to happen over night. I would advise to stay away from crash diets and meal replacement plans. For me weight watchers has worked great. The first week of 2013 I weighed 278 pounds and started following weight watchers plan. I didn't join or go to meetings I just followed there plan and wrote every thing down I ate and how many points it was. There is tons of free information out there and diet calculators on line and apps. After 52 weeks I hit my goal weight of 198 and am just trying to maintain in 2014. Today I weigh in at 188. It is a lifestyle change and takes some getting use to but it is not hard at all. I don't go hungry and actually probably eat more now than I did before.

I used to do weightwatchers but was bad with keeping the food diary. I'll give it a shot again with MyFitnessPal (similar concept but tracks calories not points).

Hunger is fat leaving the body. Calories in vs calories out. I lost 30 lbs in 90 days.

Yea, I keep telling myself that.

Thanks for taking the time to type out a response Mike. I understand your advice. I've been reading up for a while on everything you mention but have been stalling putting it into practice. I'm done stalling.

In any event i'm unlikely to go with meal replacement. I was just curious if anyone did it. Thanks for the advice!

I've done WW and it works but if you're consistently hitting the gym then maybe it's time to change it up. What have you got to lose (pun intended). I'm 55 and and have been using Total Lean by GNC and at first I wasn't seeing any weight loss but was losing around the waist. Now I'm losing weight, eating more and getting leaner. Cardio is on my bike 3 or 4 times a week and for upper body i do push-ups and a few dumbell exercises. I've increased my protein input and decreased carbs and starch. Cheat one day a week by going out to eat and having one or two beers. I feel good and all my clothes fit way better. I still eat some good carbs but limit them to higher fiber carbs like vegs and some fruit. Oatmeal for a snack at night. I'm not an expert but I can tell you that it's much harder lose weight when you get over 50. The great thing about the meal replacement from GNC is it makes me feel good. More energy. I won't tell you that you'll never be hungry but it taste good and satisfies cravings. I drink half a shake for breakfast, half a shake for lunch then eat a meal and drink my last shake for dinner. Meal is usually meat, green veg or tomato and some fruit. Total lean is designed to replace fat with lean muscle and I know that's usually hype but I've been pleased so far.
Good luck.

Just to emphasize that it doesn't have to be hard to cook, can be very tasty, filling, and excellent for you.

Lunch today -

1 5 oz can of white tuna
4 hard boiled egg whites cut up in chunks
Salt / Pepper / Basil / Oregano / Balsamic Vinegar

4 Clementines (cross between a mandarin and a sweet orange)

30 oz water

Remember, it is a change in life style. Forget about "diets." You have to change the way you've done things. I would suggest you bump up your workouts to 6 times a week. Eat 6 meals a day and increase your protein intake and stay away from carbs as best you can.

For your wife's sake, don't lose all that weight for one day and then balloon up after you get hitched. When I got married I was 200lbs, 5 years later I'm 210. I barely started working out again a couple of weeks ago after stopping in March. I bought a suana suit from Walmart and just wear the top. I sweat like a pig and in 2 weeks I went from 36" pant size to 34". Forget lifting heavy weight and switch to high reps and resting no more than 30 seconds between sets. I workout for an hour and 15 minutes with hardly any rest, I just keep moving. It burns calories and I'm not totally wasted after.

Change the way you do things, stick to it and it will come together for you. By training yourself to eat differently/more healthy you won't need a log. If what you're about to eat isn't healthy, serve a small portion and know either later or tomorrow you'll burn it off. It's hard, trust me. I like my sweets and dessert's and junk and beer like anybody... But in the end, its worth it.

Refine your diet.

As stated in a previous post. You obviously need to make a lifestyle change when it comes to your diet.

Get on www.myfitnesspal.com and start counting calories.

weight training and cardio for a total of 5 days per week. You don't need any damn jiu jitsu

Last edited:
Proper diet and exercise are always going to be the best way to get fit, but when you come right down to it, most of us just don’t have the time and energy necessary to make our health the center of our lives.

Proper diet and exercise are always going to be the best way to get fit, but when you come right down to it, most of us just don’t have the time and energy necessary to make our health the center of our lives.

If you have time to eat. You can control what you eat. No need to get all stupid with it. The simple things will make the most difference.

BlackJack, stick with it and keep the long view in mind. It takes time to change your metabolism and everyone is a little different in regards to how quickly their body reacts to the changes in their lifestyle. Think of it this way...took a long time to pack on...it's going to take some time to melt off.

Bottom line, you've gotta make a decision to take control of your health and make smart choices regarding what and when you eat and how you spend your time (go exercise instead of watching the idiot box), and then you've gotta have some patience.

My personal belief is that meal replacement plans and fad diets aren't the solution...unless your general habits change you'll just bounce right back to where you were or worse.

When I started trying to eliminate as many refined sugars and carbs from my diet it was hard...my taste buds missed them...but now my tastes have changed and I actually find sugary things kind of disgustingly sweet.

Find a form of exercise you love to do and that way it's not a drag to fit it into your day. Whatever that form of exercise is...keep it fun and playful. I personally have become addicted to Jiu Jitsu, so I'd say give it a go...but if it's not your thing just find something that you love to do for fun.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Over the past week I've been taking steps to change my eating and exercise habits to start losing weight. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks and don't plan on doing so until around my birthday next month but I feel better, have more energy and am learning to deal with

Thus far I've taken the following steps:
- Stopped drinking soda entirely (did this back in March). Replaced soda with either water, flavored water, or sometimes juices/teas. Will have a glass of milk every so often (once or twice a week).
- Started eating a light fruit-based breakfast instead of nothing.
- Started tracking my diet with MyFitnessPal. Working on keeping a ~500-700 calorie deficit based on a BMR of ~2500
- Started bringing my own lunches to work. Portion sizes are smaller, foods are healthier, and the food is much cheaper than anything here in NYC.
- Gym 3x a week for one hour, 1/2 weight training and 1/2 cardio. Also have a few free personal training sessions to use up so my first one is tomorrow.

Things i'm planning on doing over time
- Move to a bigger breakfast while decreasing the size of my lunch and dinner. Eventually I would want to eat 4-5 evenly sized and spaced meals a day.
- Slowly cut out sugars and random snacking. I feel more frequent, smaller, evenly spaced meals will help with this.
- Move to 4x a week for one hour at the gym. Explore personal training sessions as I work best when personally motivated.
- Start taking 1-2 free classes a week at the gym. They offer TRX, Kettlebell, and other courses for free, might as well take advantage.
- Look into taking up a martial art. Sadly there isn't much around me that isn't Tiger Schulmann's Karate but I know of at least one Tai Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do studio around but I was hoping for something more modern.

Also, point of clarification, its not my wedding that i'm slimming down for, its my best friends. I'll likely end up in the bridal party and I want to look good. I've done the math and precision rifles are cheaper than a wife/kids so i'm sticking with them and my dog for the foreseeable future.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. Over the past week I've been taking steps to change my eating and exercise habits to start losing weight. I haven't weighed myself in a few weeks and don't plan on doing so until around my birthday next month but I feel better, have more energy and am learning to deal with

Thus far I've taken the following steps:
- Stopped drinking soda entirely (did this back in March). Replaced soda with either water, flavored water, or sometimes juices/teas. Will have a glass of milk every so often (once or twice a week).
- Started eating a light fruit-based breakfast instead of nothing.
- Started tracking my diet with MyFitnessPal. Working on keeping a ~500-700 calorie deficit based on a BMR of ~2500
- Started bringing my own lunches to work. Portion sizes are smaller, foods are healthier, and the food is much cheaper than anything here in NYC.
- Gym 3x a week for one hour, 1/2 weight training and 1/2 cardio. Also have a few free personal training sessions to use up so my first one is tomorrow.

Things i'm planning on doing over time
- Move to a bigger breakfast while decreasing the size of my lunch and dinner. Eventually I would want to eat 4-5 evenly sized and spaced meals a day.
- Slowly cut out sugars and random snacking. I feel more frequent, smaller, evenly spaced meals will help with this.
- Move to 4x a week for one hour at the gym. Explore personal training sessions as I work best when personally motivated.
- Start taking 1-2 free classes a week at the gym. They offer TRX, Kettlebell, and other courses for free, might as well take advantage.
- Look into taking up a martial art. Sadly there isn't much around me that isn't Tiger Schulmann's Karate but I know of at least one Tai Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do studio around but I was hoping for something more modern.

Also, point of clarification, its not my wedding that i'm slimming down for, its my best friends. I'll likely end up in the bridal party and I want to look good. I've done the math and precision rifles are cheaper than a wife/kids so i'm sticking with them and my dog for the foreseeable future.

Over time refine your diet also, not just your work outs. You will get more results that way.

Why do you need to slowly cut out sugars and random snacking? Cut them the fuck off right now!

Yes, 4-6 smaller meals a day will help with this.

Your problem is mental my friend.

Good luck BlackJack988!! Keep at it, and you'll be forever grateful about the decision to change your lifestyle.

Do it for yourself though, not for your best friend's wedding ;)

I snack constantly, keeps me from binge eating at regular mealtimes...just snack on things that are better for you. Try cashews or some other nut (not peanut) of your choice instead of a bag of deep fried crap.

The sooner you eliminate unnecessary sugars from your diet, the sooner your taste buds will adjust and your preferences change. In shorter time than you'd think you'll start looking at the bag of potato chips and thinking "nah, looks sorta gross."

As a general rule you will be less hungry if you eat protein. Hardboiled eggs (egg whites) are super easy to cook (10 - 12 minutes from when the water first starts to boil, then shock them with cold water and put them in the 'fridge), are cheap, travel well, supplement virtually anything (simple as a bowl of black beans and egg whites) and taste like whatever you season them with.

Refined sugar - seriously you just need to stop. As F0302 said - in 30 days you'll eat something with a bunch of sugar in it and it will taste funny. Yesterday I ordered an iced chia at a coffee place. I could only stand 1/3 of it.

Snacking - move to 4 -6 meals and eat fruit or nuts hell even an avocado

Last edited:
As a general rule you will be less hungry if you eat protein. Hardboiled eggs (egg whites) are super easy to cook (10 - 12 minutes from when the water first starts to boil, then shock them with cold water and put them in the 'fridge), are cheap, travel well, supplement virtually anything (simple as a bowl of black beans and egg whites) and taste like whatever you season them with.

Refined sugar - seriously you just need to stop. As F0302 said - in 30 days you'll eat something with a bunch of sugar in it and it will taste funny. Yesterday I ordered an iced chia at a coffee place. I could only stand 1/3 of it.

Snacking - move to 4 -6 meals and eat fruit or nuts hell even an avocado

As stated above there are better "snacks" to eat. However, limit nuts to a small handful. It's very easy to eat a ton of calories with them, and since you want to lose
weight that would be a bad thing now wouldn't it.

As for avocado. It's great to eat. And has "good" fats in it. But again, don't get too crazy. 1/4 to 1/2 is more than enough in a sitting.

I'd recommend faje 0% greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, or a fruit smoothie for a snack (be careful about that too, fruit is great for you, but does have lots of calories) which again is bad since your trying to lose weight. So keep an eye on it.

Again. Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

start logging your food daily.

OK I signed up. I've never kept a log of what I have eaten or moved in my life but I'll try it.

How can we know what we need to adjust or fine tune unless we know exactly what we are putting into our bodies?

This would also require getting a digital scale (so when you enter 16 ounces of chicken it actually was 16 ounces)

I know the thread has been out for a while. I'm one of those that can put on 20lbs of muscle, then act like a fool with my diet and add on 20lbs of fat on top of it. I've tried em all, and the guys are right....also, my own $.02, only hit the protein shakes if you are seriously hurting and need to recover. If you do the three shakes a day, you are gonna end up doughy and puffy. Another note, I'm over in A-Stan, have been for 10 years, it's hard to eat "clean", but, more cardio seems to fix a lot, and I hate cardio. We had a client here who thought going with "shake-ology" diet would be great. This person is quite athletic, and only needed to drop maybe 10 lbs. By going with "Shake-Ology", and only eating protein, this person had non stop headaches for 2 weeks, no energy to go to the gym, and actually passed out on us one morning due to a combo of dehydration, and massive blood sugar imbalance. Eat healthy, increase your cardio, and get crazy when you lift. Sometimes you don't need to lift according to someone else's pre-determined schedule, reps, or sets, go with what feels good, and get your heart pumping. Works for me.