• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

media for tumbling

Re: media for tumbling

Received my SS media from Mark on Saturday. Ran my fisrt batch through today.

AWESOME! Thanks to Mark and Terry.

ETA: Anybody in the Grapevine Texas area that would like to see the results first hand before you invest in the tumbler and media, PM me and we can make arrangements to meet somewhere.

Has anyone noticed that the stainless method might get pistol brass too clean to load without lube? When loading .45 its brutal without some lube, but with walnut cleaned brass I think the fine layer of dust or the cleaning solution provides just a little lubrication that makes everything move along smoothly.

Lex, I have been running 45's on my Dillon with their carbide dies for many years and have not had problems with sticky brass. What type of dies are you running?

Terry

Sus
I am using Dillon carbide dies on a 650.
They don't get stuck like a rifle case with no lube sticks, but they are much more difficult to size, and stick horribly to the powder funnel, regardless of the amount of bell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... tumbled the .338LM stuff again. 3x fired this time. The insides are definitely 'clean', I'd even say 'shiny', but not 'bright'. If that doesn't make sense, let me try again: I can see a reflection off the inside case walls, but its very dark, almost like the surface is blued. I'm guessin' this qualifies as 'clean enough' and whatever chemical reaction transpired I probably won't get them gold/yellow shiny without removing some metal... </div></div>

Memilanuk
I wonder if you might have some sand or other grit in your media that is preventing you from getting that great shine. I encountered that problem running some mil-surp brass.

Other than a "cleaning cycle" - Has anyone come up with a good process to ensure there are no contaminates mixed in the SS media? I am thinking off the top of my head of magnets, gold pans, or muriatic acid, surely someone already has a better method.

Try polishing your powder funnel with some #0000 fine steel wool with some flitz metal polish.

Terry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try polishing your powder funnel with some #0000 fine steel wool with some flitz metal polish.

Terry </div></div>

I polished it, even sent it to starline for adjustment, still sticks on brass cleaned with the stainless method. Brass cleaned with walnut and dillon polish (looks like crap relatively) but flows through the press like water...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suasponte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the Thread that started the SS Media Craze!

Terry</div></div>
I'm considering jumping in on the craze. Can you send me a note with the stainless media source?
Thanks!

Has anyone measured the amount of lead in the effluent? My primary reason for switching is the reduction of airborne lead contamination. While I'm not an environmentalist and certainly don't drive a Prius, I'm also not excited about dumping lead contaminants into my septic system or the neighbors backyard.
How much lead are we talking about?

Unless your shooting lead bullets I would say there is no Lead in the water you will be disposing of. Mostly carbon.

Terry

Just watched the videos. I'm sold. Gonna be a commitment, but I'm switching to the SS media for all my brass. This thread rocks!