• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Meeting with Rep Petersen on WA silencer bill 1604

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
I and one of the members on the Northwest Firearms Forum met with Representative Jamie Petersen in Seattle to discuss House bill 1604. WA is the only state that allows silencers, but prohibits their use. This bill would make an exception for those owners who own them legally. I thought it was amusing that I could not find an American to accompany me to the meeting, but that an Aussie was willing to. But I was happy to have him with as he is a better talker than I am.

We were able to discuss the legalities of silencer ownership and the advantages of their use; particularly hearing protection and reduction of noise pollution. Petersen claims he is not actually against silencer use, but he had over 150 bills to consider and not one person told him that bill 1604 was a priority. So he of course did not take any action on it and let it die, again.

Based on the general attitudes of WA gun owners towards silencers and the number of WA gun owners who tell me I am a criminal for owning silencers, I am not surprised that any Representative hasn't heard enough from their constituents to push this bill.

Petersen made it very clear during the meeting that he needs someone (another Representative) to tell him the bill is a priority. He only gives hearings to those bills that are worthy of the committee's time. And so far according to him, no one in Olympia thinks bill 1604 is worthy of his time. I know I sound like a broken record, but us WA residents need to contact our Representatives and ask them to give this bill some attention.

Ranb

Re: Meeting with Rep Petersen on WA silencer bill 1604

Ranb,

Let me know when you plan to meet with someone again, if my schedule works out then I'll come with you.

Jason

I am meeting Finn in Bremerton on Sunday May 30th. I still need to get a place and time though. I will let you know.

160 miles is a long way to drive for a chat with a Rep; if it even happens. If you want, you can join me at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club after the meeting so that the trip is more worthwhile. Thanks.

Ranb

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you and the rest of us out here!

The way the law is written right now,there is no exemption for LEO in the RCW for suppressors,only full autos.That means a LEO on duty is breaking the law if he uses a suppressor.I was at Cascade Armory today and this is the way Jim explained it to me.I can usually make time for something like this and don't mind the drive if we can get something done.

Sad to say, but someone will have to be arrested for using their legally owned suppressor and brought to trial to out the idiocracy of this law. After that, one of two things will have to happen, 1: they recognize the how asinine it is and repeal the ban on useing a legally owned item or 2: they recognize how asinine it is and repeal the right to legally own an item that you cannot use.

I never met with Finn. I was not able to get a hold of him or his aide after telling the aide that I wanted to discuss bill 1604. Finn is not one of those who likes to reply to e-mails, so I guess I was expecting too much.

Ranb

Condotta is on my long list of Representatives who don’t reply to my e-mails asking why bill 1604 is not getting a hearing. Less than 10% of my e-mails to those in Olympia get any answer, and most of those answers fail to directly address my questions.

It is not like I ask hard questions, but politicians usually lack the courage to give a direct answer that they may eventually have to own up to the future. I know that some people think this behavior is political savvy, but I say it is cowardice. Personally I think that the bill 1604 sponsors are just giving lip service to their gun owner constituents and think we are fools for actually believing they give a fuck about us. It would be simple for them to change my mind about them. For starters they could reply to my e-mails and tell me what they are doing to push their legislation through committee. I have heard a few crying about how they are not on this or that committee and can not do anything. What a bunch of crap.

Back in 2009 Representative Shea told me that he had been trying to get bill 1604 a hearing in the House Judiciary committee (he is a member), but that Pedersen refused. Pedersen told me in no uncertain terms that no one is telling him that bill 1604 is a priority. Something is rotten in Olympia, and I am not 100% sure that it is the Democrats. Based on my observations thus far, Mr. Pedersen is doing the best job of being believable. He is putting in more effort answering e-mails and meeting people than all of the other Representatives put together. I am not exaggerating one bit! And he is the blood sucking Democrat; it just kills me!

What have your Representatives been telling you when you write to them? Do they tell you exactly what they are doing to push this bill through? Is Condotta in your district? If he is, please write to him and ask him exactly what he is doing to push his bill. He might be more willing to reply to someone in his district. Thanks.

Ranb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sad to say, but someone will have to be arrested for using their legally owned suppressor and brought to trial to out the idiocracy of this law. </div></div>

That has already happened in Snohomish County. Two guys got their silencers taken away from them after another shooter complained to the police. They could not be arrested as the police did not actually witness the crime and silencer use is not on the list of non-witnessed misdemeanor crimes that can result in an arrest in WA.

One guy (B. Howe) got his silencer back; the other guy is still awaiting charges to be brought against him as far as I know. If the charges are not dropped, then I think this guy will pay his fine and/or serve his time. Most WA gun owners will continue to yawn about the unfriendly gun laws in this state and do nothing, just like they are doing now.

Ranb