• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Metallic practice targets for 4H Shooting sports

jkane

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2008
Moreauville, LA
I'm a farmer, got plenty "shop" time right now and am getting involved with our local 4H and the smallbore.

Have a few ideas for some metallic targets.

8" med wt channel, 5" circles cut out, put the channel toward the shooter to trap any lead fragments, hinge circles out the back. Set up for a vertical string of fire, 7 targets, but I am having trouble coming up with a reset device, tough for a .22

Any thoughts on this. I have a pile of 8" channel and 1/4 plate mild steel and the equipment to work with it.

Re: Metallic practice targets for 4H Shooting sports

Why not do something like this?

100_0401.jpg

You could just make the targets round. When they're hit they swing.
smile.gif

if i only had the material, tools, knowledge, and time to make soemething, (or $ for a patent
laugh.gif
) i'd make something like this:

22TARGETJPG.jpg

I will also tell you that if you can build in a downward angle for the target face into you design, it makes a huge difference in keeping the ricochets down to a minimum.
The targets that I have in my yard are hung from saw horse brackets by sections of fire hose and / or webbing in such a way that they angle downward at about 22 degrees.
All hits are subsequently deflected straight downward into the ground.
It is a great way to make shooting steel as safe as possible.

The most important thing you can do is make sure you do not shoot steel too close. What Dr Phil said is the only way to make sure you keep flying lead to a minimum. 22 rimfire fairly well disintegrates on impact with a 90deg. surface. Our IHMSA targets are string reset and I can draw you out some plans but it is fairly complicated and large. It will add incredible weight to your design. Swingers that have been mentioned are the easiest. We have a plate machine that works very well but again it is heavy and the plates must be hand reset. When you make a plate machine or string reset targets all components need to withstand an impact and not "rattle down" the plates. Why not let them reset the plates? That is part of the game at many ranges.

I agree on the reseting of the targets, I just would like to minimie downrange time, for safety, although practicing killing the line, clearing, and standing back is good practice in itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beanfarmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree on the reseting of the targets, I just would like to minimie downrange time, for safety, <span style="color: #FF0000">although practicing killing the line, clearing, and standing back is good practice in itself.</span> </div></div>

The most important thing they can learn preparing them for organized competitions.

For the last couple of years I have been using the Champion resetable target.

It works very well.

Just finished the channel iron target, shot a few clips and works great, will post pics when the sleet quits.

We use the square targets alot. You can set them out to any distance where the 6" target isn't easy (but ARE able to hit). As you get better you just move down in size. We have started these out at 200yds so it isn't too hard to hit with a good rifle/ammo. As you get comfortable with that size just move down.

The animal targets are what we practice on for an "Extreme Rimfire" match that is shot between 82yd and 206 yds.

All of these targets are just for rimfire only.

Everybody likes bangin' steel.....

Keith

targetsfromBilly5-1.jpg

uploadtargetsforMatch-1.jpg

neat ideas guys!!!